Medical Terminology help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adaggiote

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello medical students,

Since you guys are experienced and really cool, I thought I would just come in and ask for your help. I need help looking for a website or resources that can help me in medical terminology. I want to learn, really fast, so 'prescribe' something fun and interactive. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Its called "Medical School."

Step 1: Go to medical school. Learn a copious amount of vocabulary that is meaningless without hours of instruction and cross linking to what is already known.

Examples: Atrial Fibrillation, Hepatocellular Dysfunction, Hepatic Encephalopathy, Diabetic Nephropathy

Step 2: Feel confident you finally get some of the lingo and are cool enough to use acronyms, shortened versions, and quick-its so that you can communicate confidently with your coworkers

Examples: Afib, MI (myocardial infarction), SOB (shortness of breath), CTAB (clear to auscultation bilaterally), EGD (Endoscopic Gastroduodenoscopy)

Step 3: Become so confident in your practice that you translate your new language back into dumb. You do that so your patients can understand you, your students can understand you, and the people who think they are in Step 2 (but really arent, because all they've done is copy the phrases without understanding them) understand you

Examples: Heart Attack (MI), Broken Liver (Hepatocellular Dysfunction), Turning Yellow (Jaundice), Funny Heart Beat (arrythmia), Camera down your throat (EGD).

The bottom line is that in the process of learning medicine, disease, and therapy you will learn more new words than are encompassed in most intro AND intermediate language courses combined. You literally learn a new language.

There is no place for a "quick fix." Even people in health care may not know the lingo of one specialty, or even one office. Sorry dude, no such resource exists.

in order to help you, it might be useful to let us know what yoru intent is to learn it fast? to get a jump on med school? for a medical clerk job you're looking at? etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its called "Medical School."

Step 1: Go to medical school. Learn a copious amount of vocabulary that is meaningless without hours of instruction and cross linking to what is already known.

Examples: Atrial Fibrillation, Hepatocellular Dysfunction, Hepatic Encephalopathy, Diabetic Nephropathy

Step 2: Feel confident you finally get some of the lingo and are cool enough to use acronyms, shortened versions, and quick-its so that you can communicate confidently with your coworkers

Examples: Afib, MI (myocardial infarction), SOB (shortness of breath), CTAB (clear to auscultation bilaterally), EGD (Endoscopic Gastroduodenoscopy)

Step 3: Become so confident in your practice that you translate your new language back into dumb. You do that so your patients can understand you, your students can understand you, and the people who think they are in Step 2 (but really arent, because all they've done is copy the phrases without understanding them) understand you

Examples: Heart Attack (MI), Broken Liver (Hepatocellular Dysfunction), Turning Yellow (Jaundice), Funny Heart Beat (arrythmia), Camera down your throat (EGD).

The bottom line is that in the process of learning medicine, disease, and therapy you will learn more new words than are encompassed in most intro AND intermediate language courses combined. You literally learn a new language.

There is no place for a "quick fix." Even people in health care may not know the lingo of one specialty, or even one office. Sorry dude, no such resource exists.

Thanks for the advice...