Medical Terminology in Pharm School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janeno

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating whether I should take Med Terminology at my college, so i was wondering how useful it would be for pharmacy school? Do classes in pharmacy school heavily rely on this knowledge of roots etc. or is it only useful just for anatomy class? Do you need to know all the termins if you are a pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll learn all the latin terminology & abbreviations you'll need to know when you attend pharmacy school. You'll pick up most all medical terminology along the way just because you're exposed to it. After reading charts for years....you just learn.

It won't help nor will it hurt. If you're interested take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the books I just had to buy as a P1 is "Medical Terminology." Classes start next week so that's all I know at this point.

I certainly don't think taking it during undergrad would hurt you though, if it fulfills hours that you need within your major, or you need an elective or what not.

Oh my freakin' God yes, you will need plenty of medical terminology knowledge. All of your "real" classes require it like Pathophys, therapeutics, med chem, pharmacology, etc. Don't worry about it now, however. You will be assimilated into it, trust me. It seeps into your brain via osmosis by the end of your second year.

WVUPharm2007 said:
Oh my freakin' God yes, you will need plenty of medical terminology knowledge. All of your "real" classes require it like Pathophys, therapeutics, med chem, pharmacology, etc. Don't worry about it now, however. You will be assimilated into it, trust me. It seeps into your brain via osmosis by the end of your second year.
Being comfortable with the language is a big part of any professional school program. Anyone who thinks that it won't help you is just plain crazy. I took a scientific terminology class during my final semester of undergrad (just before my P1 year which starts this fall) and found it to be one of the most practical classes I had ever taken-has definitely increased my reasoning ability. I wish I had taken it much earlier, like before classes like A&P and Biochem and definitely before the PCAT. I later got my hands on some P1 pharmacology notes from the previous year-there is medical/latin terminology on every page. Taking the class would be a good idea I think.

Thank you very much for everybody's advice. I decided not to take the course because it seems that this material will be covered in pharmacy school plus next semester will be stressful enough with all the pharm school applications and writing my research paper.

leran all you can now because in pharm school, if you already know something you can spend more time on other really important stuff. i'd get a book now and review it even if you're not taking a class.

you might be required to take it at your school anyways, I would hold off on it for now.

Yes, you definitely need it in pharm school. Certain classes, such as phys and pathophys, will make heavy use of it, as well as hospital rotations. Even if the pharm school you will attend offers it, take it now. It will make it easier the second time around when your courseload is heavier and it will help your long-term retention of the info.

I think it's a waste. You'll be exposed to all the terms in your first year. You hear them once and you've learned it. Why waste precious time on a class?