Medical Toxicology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTOX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm an EM resident with my interest peaking in medical tox. I am having a difficult time however finding a ton of information on the specifics of the field. By specifics, I mean salary. Though this is a subspecialty field that I am extremely interested in, I need to know if the 2 year commitment is worth anything aside from gained knowledge.

Does anyone know what an EM trained medical toxicologist makes? Assuming you work as a primary EM attending, and do tox consultations.

I guess there is a lot I still need to learn, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You're right. It's actually difficult to find that information. I'm not sure about the salaries, but I have found some good information just by checking out the websites of the fellowship programs.

This one is pretty good. http://www.dmc.org/em/fellowship/toxicology/

Anyone have any info on the types of settings for practice and salary for a board certified toxicologist? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you plan on working for industry (drug company), there generally isn't much more money involved. There is a built-in niche and an opportunity for protected time (getting paid for teaching/research time so you have to do less clinical work).