Medically Underserved (U)/Rural (R)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovelyBRass

Eternal Internal
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can't change where you're from, but does it make a difference in your chances (positive or negative) if your county is U or R?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone I've talked to has been from an underserved county. I don't think it's an uncommon designation.

Members don't see this ad :)
It makes a difference for schools that look for students to fill these roles. The figure if you're from such an area you are more likely to return.

I think this makes no difference whatsoever and is a pointless waste of 8 bits.

You can't change where you're from, but does it make a difference in your chances (positive or negative) if your county is U or R?

My guess would be that it's worth almost nothing. There are significant variations in things like geographical size/scope and population demographics of counties amongst all the states, which make it impossible to use that as a reliable indicator of your background or intentions. Your county could be "underserved" like LA County but you grew up in Malibu. Or you could be from a rural area, like the antelope valley in northern LA county, but LA is still classified as urban either way.

I would say if it means anything to anybody it would be an in-state school (public or private) that is more familiar with those variations. But then they probably know which specific areas are underserved in the first place, and would use other info like your address or whatever else it is you reveal to more specifically determine this.

Last edited:
I don't know if it will make a difference in the raw, but surely you could work it into your essays or interviews? If coming from a rural or undeserved community motivates you, you should talk about it.

My guess would be that it's worth almost nothing. There are significant variations in things like geographical size/scope and population demographics of counties amongst all the states, which make it impossible to use that as a reliable indicator of your background or intentions. Your county could be "underserved" like LA County but you grew up in Malibu. Or you could be from a rural area, like the antelope valley in northern LA county, but LA is still classified as urban either way.

I would say if it means anything to anybody it would be an in-state school (public or private) that is more familiar with those variations. But then they probably know which specific areas are underserved in the first place, and would use other info like your address or whatever else it is you reveal to more specifically determine this.

Ha, even worse (or better for me?), Orange County is considered underserved. Granted, a few parts most likely are, but the vast majority of OC is served just fine. I was told by the dean of admissions at a med school that the governing body that determines that...I believe it's Dept of HHS...is meeting soon to re-designate many of these areas. And bottom line, he said it really does not have an effect on admission whatsoever...merely for statistical purposes.