1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Medicare for all and physician salaries

Discussion in 'Topics in Healthcare' started by wimby2016, Feb 6, 2019.

1. masterchiefk57

Medical Student
    I’m not so sure...money talks....and I do believe there are other viable options. Look at Japan and Germany ghat still have private insurers with regulation. That could be the compromise that takes place in the end. I however, do support Medicare for all, but it is important we maintain what works while discarding what doesnt.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sb247

sb247 Doer of things
    5+ Year Member

I don’t at all understand where the comments about mcat and admission committees came in

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    sunshinefl likes this.
  3. Gyuji

Non-Student
    Same with the UK. Health insurance exist just to supplement care.

HMOs in the US will lose tremendous power and influence among politics once universal healthcare implements. For who are against it have a lot at stake. Once it becomes reality, it'll be near impossible to fully "privatize" healthcare again.

Look at Social Security, a social democratic policy that is widely popular among Americans, has been targeted by Wall Street for years. Been puppeteering Republicans to convince their voters to cut the program or use weasel words like "privatize" or "regulate" to fool them which many people are already caught on it. Famously in 2005, Bush Jr., said "we need to privatize Social Security" and all hell break lose soon later.

Once a policy that favors the general population becomes implemented, it'll be very difficult to erase. The power will go to the government or People as we should say. The only thing that you medical personnels can do is compromise with government on policies that will satisfy you all.

4. masterchiefk57

Medical Student
    I was just replying to your remarks about "capitalism should be in medicine". A primary argument I have seen in this thread as to why aspects of medicine should be driven by the principles of capitalism is for its ability to recruit the brightest and most motivated individuals through monetary incentives. I think its important to realize there's many areas in our higher education that filter out those who are not prepared or unmotivated.

5. sb247

sb247 Doer of things
    5+ Year Member

I think weeding out the uncompetitive is pretty capitalistic

6. masterchiefk57

Medical Student
    And I’m saying there’s a system in place that does independent of capitalism when it comes to medicine....

7. sb247

sb247 Doer of things
    5+ Year Member

We’re talking past each other or I cannot get what you are trying to say. I’m not even arguing with your point, I don’t know what it is

Sorry

sunshinefl likes this.
  8. masterchiefk57

Medical Student
    Lol

9. Stagg737

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Japan is not the model we want to emulate. One of my co-interns (in another field) moved from Japan 3 weeks before intern year started a and we had a long conversation about their system. It's a complete nightmare.

Germany would potentially be something to shoot for, but the foundation of their current system has existed for 80+ years so they've literally had decades to figure it out. Not something the US could reasonably implement in the next 20 years.

If you're talking about a two-tier system, Australia is the most reasonable model for the US to try and adopt imo. Basically Medicare for all for basic services with separate wrap-around coverage for catastrophic care. Not an ideal system by any means, but one which could be passed here without destroying the current system.

10. Gyuji

Non-Student
    Try selling that to voters. People already compromised with corporate politicians and HMOs with the Obamacare, aka Romneycare, aka Newtcare, aka Nixoncare, aka the individual healthcare mandate aka the conservative approach on healthcare reform created by the right-wing The Heritage Foundation. Currently, Obamacare pulls 50% of support. I think the People already made up their minds and will go all-in with universal healthcare. They have become aware and demanding and will soon demand it from both Senate and House during Bernie Sanders' presidency or just be simply voted out and replace by Millennial DSA-associated politicians like Ocasio-Cortez.

#310 Gyuji, Mar 14, 2019 at 3:13 PM
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 3:19 PM
  11. masterchiefk57

Medical Student
    All I’m saying is there are viable options and no one has spoken about any except Medicare for all, mainly because sanders was the only one willing to take it there. Once politicians realize are healthcare system will change, you can bet they’ll be spinning their heads, along with their donors, on how to reconcile capitalism with a universal healthcare system. Bernie is Bernie. AOC, Ro Khana, Omar, and a few others are in his camp but for the legislation to have any real chance to pass as is, the majority of the senate and House will have to be turned inside out and replaced with true progressives WHILE a progressive holds the White House..... I don’t see that happening...look what they did in California when a similar bill had very strong support actually within the state legislature....