Medicare H&P jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

struggling_resident

Reaction score
I completed an intern year in pathology and a transitional year after that. I am currently in an ONMM program for 2 years with a training license but haven’t taken my comlex level 3 yet. I was wondering if anybody can help guide me to where I can apply for a job for Medicare H&Ps. I had read about this in the past that it’s possible after completing an intern year. If anybody can share their experience or any info about this I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I completed an intern year in pathology and a transitional year after that. I am currently in an ONMM program for 2 years with a training license but haven’t taken my comlex level 3 yet. I was wondering if anybody can help guide me to where I can apply for a job for Medicare H&Ps. I had read about this in the past that it’s possible after completing an intern year. If anybody can share their experience or any info about this I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

The one I'm aware of requires an independent license so you would need to take COMLEX level 3. Assuming you are not an IMG you should be able to get a license in most states. The company is called Signify Health and you do home health evaluations for Medicare patients. It's pretty boilerplate stuff (i.e. mind-numbingly boring), but the pay is ok. $100 per patient and the evaluation takes an hour. I have a post describing my experience under the General Residency Issues. Just search for Signify and you should be able to find it.

Life insurance physicals are the same/similar and they don’t take anywhere near an hour.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The one I'm aware of requires an independent license so you would need to take COMLEX level 3. Assuming you are not an IMG you should be able to get a license in most states. The company is called Signify Health and you do home health evaluations for Medicare patients. It's pretty boilerplate stuff (i.e. mind-numbingly boring), but the pay is ok. $100 per patient and the evaluation takes an hour. I have a post describing my experience under the General Residency Issues. Just search for Signify and you should be able to find it.

Can you do this while in intern year? USMD grad, will have step 3 done in a month. In NYS. Im just confused how a resident does it because it says it requires a license, but i was under the impression you arent licensed until after completing residency.

Last edited:
Can you do this while in intern year? USMD grad, will have step 3 done in a month. In NYS. Im just confused how a resident does it because it says it requires a license, but i was under the impression you arent licensed until after completing residency.

You need an independent license. Many states allow you to get that after 1 or 2 years of residency. Whether your program allows you to do it is a separate issue that is program dependent.

You’re eligible to apply for an independent license after passing the US medical Licensing exam and completing a number of years of training dictated by each state. Some are 1, some are 3. Completion of residency is not a requirement. If you’re in a state where it’s 1, you can often moonlight starting in PGY-2/3 if you’ve taken Step 3 and gotten your license.

In terms of completion of residency, once it’s known you’re going to complete the last year of it (usually) you are eligible to sit for your specialty’s board exam (ABIM, etc.). Once you pass your boards, you are board certified.

You need to be a board certified physician before any real hospital or practice hires you for that specialty. There are very few jobs where you can get a job with just a medical license. Not a bad thing, but the resident section of SDN overrepresents that population because a lot of empathetic people who’ve had a bad run of things post here.

Last edited:
To those reading, I do not recommend Signify unless both conditions are met

1.) You need the money
2.) You aren’t in residency

Trust me, it’s not a job you want to be doing in residency and if you do somehow get away with doing it, I wouldn’t recommend disclosing it unless asked specifically for all prior employment.

1.) You need the money

Trust me, it’s not a job you want to be doing in residency and if you do somehow get away with doing it, I wouldn’t recommend disclosing it unless asked specifically for all prior employment.

I understand doing it for money, but I wanted to ask why it is a bad idea to do physicals during residency? I mean it’s pretty low risk right?

I understand doing it for money, but I wanted to ask why it is a bad idea to do physicals during residency? I mean it’s pretty low risk right?

a) It's low risk, not no risk. If something happens, then you are really screwed without a parachute.

b) If your PD doesn't want you doing things like that, then you could get in gigantic trouble.

Reactions: 1 users
Ask your PD if you’re allowed do it and report back.

Reactions: 1 user

1.) You need the money

Why is this your advice? Asking because I'm thinking of doing this as a mindless way to make minimal-risk extra money moonlighting during fellowship.