medicinal chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gwalla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats a good help book for medical chemistry?? i looked online and lippencotts doesnt make one for medicinal chemistry, though i heard their pharmacology book was excellent

Members don't see this ad.

whats a good help book for medical chemistry?? i looked online and lippencotts doesnt make one for medicinal chemistry, though i heard their pharmacology book was excellent

They definitely have a great pharmacology book.

I thought Foye's medicinal chemistry book was pretty good I guess.:)

When I took medicinal chemistry a few years ago, we didn't even use a major book. The professor prepared a coursebook, and it was perhaps the most booring and unuseful course I ever took. But you may have a different experience with the subject, so enjoy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you're looking for a good help book for med chem check out Lippincott's Review of Organic Functional Groups, 4th edition (ISBN: 0-7817-4381-8). It's a small and cheap book (used), but has been a good reference for reminding me of all the O-chem I forgot. As the name implies it focuses on functional group properties, which is what a couple of my professors have emphasized in our med chem lectures. See if your school library has it, that's what I did before buying the textbooks I have. I scanned through Foye's and found it to be more like the ramblings of an old chem professor who goes on and on about more stuff than I needed to know about. Then there's also Wilson & Gisvold's Textbook of Organic Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry but I haven't looked through this one yet.

Since you're looking for a good help book for med chem check out Lippincott's Review of Organic Functional Groups, 4th edition (ISBN: 0-7817-4381-8). It's a small and cheap book (used), but has been a good reference for reminding me of all the O-chem I forgot. As the name implies it focuses on functional group properties, which is what a couple of my professors have emphasized in our med chem lectures. See if your school library has it, that's what I did before buying the textbooks I have. I scanned through Foye's and found it to be more like the ramblings of an old chem professor who goes on and on about more stuff than I needed to know about. Then there's also Wilson & Gisvold's Textbook of Organic Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry but I haven't looked through this one yet.

We "use" wilson and gisvold's. I'm sure opening the book helps, but it wasn't required for our pharmaceutical chem class. Maybe next semester for pharmaceutics II. I bought it for my med chem class in undergrad, but didn't open it for that class either as the instructor never taught out of it.

thanks to those who answered
:clap::bow::biglove: