Medicine Abroad!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usa_tigress

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find some web sites that offer programs to go abroad for medical shadowing/volunteering. Do any of you guys have any interesting experiences and suggestions on which programs would be good for winter break or summer? i'm looking for a 2-4 week program. So far, i only know of www.gmtonline.org. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

here i go again trying to sell my program...i do this a bit. :) i went through a program called Cross Cultural Solutions. a little info:
1) more expensive then the link you have, but it includes up to $100,000 in health insurance while there (or something like that), 3 meals a day, ground transportation, little field trips
2) you have to pay a little extra to be insured a medical placement and not all locations can insure you one (called "intern abroad")
3) you stay in a house that is very safe with other volunteers
4) tons of placements (if you don't want to do medical), tons of start dates, lots of different countries, can stay anywhere from 2-12 weeks
5) from my experience, you are not surrounded by americans or even people that speak english
6) you volunteer about 5 hours a day in a very unstructured setting, where i went, they aren't used to volunteers, so you had to be very proactive in getting your hands dirty
7) you learn a ton about the culture as well-dance lessons, history lessons, language classes, trips to local villages
8) the intern abroad program in Guatemala is really picking up, a local doc talks to you a lot, you have a chance to visit local hospitals and see what they are like
9) examples of what people did in medical placements in my group: gave vaccines, took blood pressures, performed physicals, recorded pt. info (if you could speak spanish), took temps, helped deliver babies

that is all i can think of. i went to guatemala for 2 weeks. soooo much fun. feel free to ask any more questions if you'd like

I was a chem/Spanish major in undergrad so I set up a research project in Madrid. It seemed to favorably impress my schools because they brought up the experience in a very positive light. One person mentioned that it was the first time she saw someone do research internationally. It was the most that I could do to diversify myself since I am a white male.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard of the organization you mentioned, and I researched quite a bit when I was looking for information before my trip, are they new? I went with Volunteer Abroad and had an amazing experience, I would suggest checking them out if you are still looking at different options.

Cheers!

Jess

I am thinking about doing a similar thing between when I am accepted into med school and when I have to start :) Does anyone know of a program that provides compensation or a stipend? Medical related work would be great, but I wouldn't mind doing other kind of work for pay and then spending extra time volunteering with medical care.

would happen to know if any of such organizations cover the costs? like airfare, or housing while there,or don't have outrageous fees.... ( or is it wishful thinking on my side?) I'm not trying to find some cheap program, and really would love to go volunteer, but funds are an issue....

www.FIMRC.org Costa Rica....AWESOME expereince!

would happen to know if any of such organizations cover the costs? like airfare, or housing while there,or don't have outrageous fees.... ( or is it wishful thinking on my side?) I'm not trying to find some cheap program, and really would love to go volunteer, but funds are an issue....

I really think raising the funds can be done if you want to go. If you want more detailed information about how I've done this, feel free to PM me, I'm sure others who have done international work have similar stories and lots of good ideas to make it happen