Medicine/Dentistry Dual Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teufelhunden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay...you look in phone book and lots of maxillofacial guys (and gals) are dual degree (MD/DDS, etc)

a friend of mine i met at Navy OIS was a dentist, and said there was a way she could get her MD in two years...i'm guessing they were giving advanced standing...bring you in as an MS-III (?)

anyway, my question is: does this ever happen in reverse? do dental schools ever grant advanced standing to MD/DO graduates? anyone ever heard of anyone doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

I have never heard of such a thing. The sciences would be no problem to place out, but during the first 2 years of dental school we also take classes like dental anatomy, operative dentistry, crown and bridge, dentures, removable partial dentures, etc,etc. I would imagine that the DO/MD could get advanced standing in terms of having taken a bunch of the sciences, but not with the dentally related stuff. You may want to call up a dental school to find out. The last 2 years are spent treating patients while also taking dental classes, so you would need to take the aforementioned classes prior to seeing patients.

It usualy takes 3 years after dental school to get an MD...

I would guess that it would be difficult to do in reverse...as dentists have no residency and therefore get more preperation for actualy doing work much earlier than MDs.

Some dental schools used to offer a 3 year dds but i'm told these are all gone now, as it was simply too hard on the students...

As of two years ago University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA) offered a 3 year DDS (no summers off). As far as I know, they still do. They have branches of some of their programs in San Francisco, I don't know about dentistry.