Medicine Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyrusHabs7695

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I know there's some of these similar posts in the search, but I wanted to provide how I studied years 1-2 and get some advice on what people who studied similar to me did for their shelf exams.

I was a big time Zanki fan during pre-clinicals, along with using FA, Pathoma B&B instead of using class lectures. Is there a gold standard Anki deck people use for the Medicine shelf? If so, what book/websites do people use that follow along with that deck? Ive also been hearing that everybody uses Uworld during the rotation. Do people just set a certain number of questions they do per day or something like that? Im pretty lost as to where to start studying when I start up in a couple weeks and would greatly appreciate any advice people have who had success on the shelf.

Anything is appreciated, thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@slowthai isn’t the Dorian deck kind of the gold standard here?

I would say so. We have yet to see if AnKing step 2 will take its spot, but I have a feeling less is more as far as flashcards go for step 2. It seems like UWorld +/- Amboss and Dorian is the blueprint. Just on a practical basis, it seems very difficult to seriously keep up with any decks bigger than Dorian.

Reactions: 3 users
I would say so. We have yet to see if AnKing step 2 will take its spot, but I have a feeling less is more as far as flashcards go for step 2. It seems like UWorld +/- Amboss and Dorian is the blueprint. Just on a practical basis, it seems very difficult to seriously keep up with any decks bigger than Dorian.
@slowthai isn’t the Dorian deck kind of the gold standard here?

Is there a gold standard book everybody uses for medicine rotation? Ive been reading about Step Up to Medicine and Pocket Medicine, do you guys recommend those or any others?

Is there a gold standard book everybody uses for medicine rotation? Ive been reading about Step Up to Medicine and Pocket Medicine, do you guys recommend those or any others?
If you aren't a book person, don't force yourself to do this. It's terrible, boring, and inefficient compared to pre-made anki and targeted internet searches!!! If you are into books, a lot of people recommend the ones you mentioned. The other route is to buy things like case files and whatnot to learn in a case-based manner. You can search SDN for the recommended texts for each rotation in the clinical rotations subforum. There is usually a consensus book for different aspects of each rotation.

Reactions: 1 users
If you aren't a book person, don't force yourself to do this. It's terrible, boring, and inefficient compared to pre-made anki and targeted internet searches!!! If you are into books, a lot of people recommend the ones you mentioned. The other route is to buy things like case files and whatnot to learn in a case-based manner. You can search SDN for the recommended texts for each rotation in the clinical rotations subforum. There is usually a consensus book for different aspects of each rotation.

So just to make sure I understand, the Dorian deck and UWorld are sufficient for both the medicine shelf AND step 2, correct?

So just to make sure I understand, the Dorian deck and UWorld are sufficient for both the medicine shelf AND step 2, correct?
The consensus is yes! If you have a robust rotation consisting of all the "joys" of the in-patient IM experience then you aren't going to have time for more than the IM portion of the anki deck of your choice, the billion UW IM questions, targeted reading, and maybe a bit of audio review in the car.

If you finish the UW questions you will be ahead of many students on that alone.

Reactions: 1 user
The consensus is yes! If you have a robust rotation consisting of all the "joys" of the in-patient IM experience then you aren't going to have time for more than the IM portion of the anki deck of your choice, the billion UW IM questions, targeted reading, and maybe a bit of audio review in the car.

If you finish the UW questions you will be ahead of many students on that alone.

I’ve heard really good things about step up to medicine for the shelf.

Thank you guys, really appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user