mediocre gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lwergod

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to dental schools for 2019 cycle. I am junior currently sitting at 3.51 gpa, up from a 2.9 freshmen year(23 hours left to graduate). I haven't taken the DAT and haven't done any serious studying yet. I'm taking 3 upper div bio classes this semester and I'm doing only slightly above avg on the tests 80-88 range for low and high. How bad would it be for me if I ended up with a 3.5 gpa this semester? What's the lowest aa DAT score I need to achieve? 21-22?

Members don't see this ad.

Better question:
Whats the highest AA DAT score you need to achieve?

Don't low-ball here. It's a bad mentality to have in school/life (what is the minimum I need to do to succeed). I see a lot of people in d-school who feel that way and they have severe struggles because of it.

That said *gets off soap box* you'd want a minimum of 21 to be comfortable. With a 22 or 23 AA, you should be just fine. Good job pulling that GPA up. I know that's a slog.

Reactions: 6 users
setting 21 as the minimum is not low balling, setting 21 as your limit/maximum is.

Members don't see this ad :)
setting 21 as the minimum is not low balling, setting 21 as your limit/maximum is.
That's correct, but it's still low balling in a world where 21 AA is now becoming the average for acceptance at many schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't sweat a 21-22 although you won't have a large selection in schools with a 3.5/21 or 22. You will be a solid applicant, no doubt.

although I'm pretty set on achieving 3.75 this semester; I'm also taking 3 credits in the summer. I should be able to bring up my gpa to 3.55 by the time I apply.

Concentrate on doing well on your classes. Bringing up your GPA from 2.9 can be hard, so it shows a good upward trend and dental schools like that, congratulations sir! Laser focus on studying for the DAT and rock it. Get a 21+ and you shouldn't have any issues getting interviews from schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't say many. The 21 avg schools are pretty formidable names.

yep, I have an excel of the 2017 matriculant stats for each school. just eyeballing t10 to t50, the average is just roughly above a 20.

Last edited: