Medroxyprogesterone & Threatened Abortion

Started by step1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

step1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was called to consult a patient with threatened abortion. The EP told me the patient was bleeding and that the os seemed to be closed. But the patient and father are hysterical.

I get there and the resident was already there, writing an order for a fairly high dose of medroxyprogesterone. He wouldn't let me see the patient.
I asked why he's writing this order and says "that baby is going to abort anyways, it's therapeutic".

The Emergency Doc and I shook our heads. The EP said he saw a viable fetus on U/S.

Is there any real 'therapuetic indication' of medroxyprogesterone in threatened abortion??? I thought it would turn a higher risk abortion into an absolute abortion?

Thoughts?