Are abortions mandatory in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xALIAx

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I searched but the threads are from 2000s. I want to do OBGYN residency but am morally against elective abortion after the 1st trimester. Are residents required to perform them

Members don't see this ad.

Just apply to programs that don’t do it at all.

Where i did my OB rotations, no resident (or student) was required to do so if they weren’t comfortable.

Just apply to programs that don’t do it at all.

Where i did my OB rotations, no resident (or student) was required to do so if they weren’t comfortable.
how do u find this out

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
how do u find this out

You’ll have to ask around. Reddit/SDN could be helpful. A classmate told me her roommate didn’t rank a program she interviewed at because they offered no family planning at all. Your best bet is in the south/other rural very conservative areas. Also any catholic-affiliated hospitals.

Last edited:
ok, and can residents opt out at any program legally

No one can or will force you to do an abortion. There are plenty of Catholic affiliated programs to rank highest if you don’t even want to have to officially opt out. There are also university-based programs that do not do elective abortions. I know plenty of people who don’t do abortions and are at university-affiliated programs.

Also you can discuss with you family planning rotation director about what you are and are not comfortable doing. In my program they ask you (privately) what you are comfortable doing (and make it clear that any answer is ok) and then again before your rotation. It may be tricky to bring this up during interviews as many training programs, faculty and trainees are pro choice even at programs that don’t perform EABs on site. However, in my experience during interviews you usually get some background on the FP rotation and they make it clear that it is acceptable to opt out of performing the procedure. There are plenty of people in OBGYN who do not perform terminations for any number of reasons (even for lethal anomalies) and still can have a successful career, though you are expected to know indications, complications etc for procedures on your inservice and board exams.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for this thread, literally just logged in to ask the same question. I am a little worried about this myself. I am pro-choice per se, but when I’m really honest with myself, I don’t feel comfortable performing abortions unless for lethal anomalies. I certainly don’t judge those who seek them or perform them- in fact, I worry that the way I feel is almost a little selfish, since lack of access to safe abortion causes such terrible downstream effects. For those who have opted out- do you REALLY feel that you get treated the same...no guilt, no judgement? Even from the FP staff who do them?

Obviously, I am a good Irish Catholic girl who will feel terribly guilty either way. LOL.

Yes you get treated the same; FP staff are among the kindest of docs and are extremely understanding of various beliefs, probably more so than the majority of other people m. Not sure how other programs structure the rotation but when I did it, there was only one resident and no others not directly involved in FP are even aware of what you chose to do or not do

Thanks for this thread, literally just logged in to ask the same question. I am a little worried about this myself. I am pro-choice per se, but when I’m really honest with myself, I don’t feel comfortable performing abortions unless for lethal anomalies. I certainly don’t judge those who seek them or perform them- in fact, I worry that the way I feel is almost a little selfish, since lack of access to safe abortion causes such terrible downstream effects. For those who have opted out- do you REALLY feel that you get treated the same...no guilt, no judgement? Even from the FP staff who do them?

Obviously, I am a good Irish Catholic girl who will feel terribly guilty either way. LOL.
If you go to a program that places a heavy emphasis on elective terminations, there may be issues.

I interviewed at a program in the Bronx (formerly Bronx Lebanon hospital). One of my interviewers talked all about the abortion experience. This was a small program so if a resident opted out, that would shift work to your co residents. This was just one program though. Most are fine, but you need to read in between the lines regarding this.

Not my field...how do Obs learn to care for miscarriages at advanced stages of pregnancy?

Not my field...how do Obs learn to care for miscarriages at advanced stages of pregnancy?

Occurs during the normal course of residency.

By virtue of the volume, one will encounter pregnancy losses at all gestational ages and their subsequent management.

There are also published practice bulletins from our main organization that review best practices for this as well.