1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Abortion?

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by ThatKidMike, Jul 27, 2006.

1. ThatKidMike

ThatKidMike Member
    2+ Year Member

Sorry if I might be beating a dead topic over the head again but here is my question:

I'm interested in OB/GYN, but as a Catholic who is very pro-life, I would never myself perform an abortion, watch one, or anything like that.

My question: do you see/carry out abortions in residency? When you become an ob/gyn and lets say you work in a hospital, if a woman asks for an abortion could you personally object? Also how much is abortion covered in residency if at all, and how much can it be avoided in residency/career if I desire so?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LADoc00

LADoc00 There is no substitute for victory.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I thought the Libtards had a passed a law that not only forced you to observe but also perform a certain number of abortions to be boarded now including at least 1 late term procedure where you could actually hear audible agonal yelps. :eek: I would check with the ACGME.

4. ntubebate

ntubebate Country Doctor
    2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :scared:

5. APGAR10/10

APGAR10/10 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not Catholic, but I'm right there with you. I would never perform an abortion, but they are performed at my residency institution for fetal anomalies. Residents also have the option of rotating at an abortion clinic and butchering babies all day long till their heart's content.

You can be assured that your residency program cannot force you to participate in the process. However, the ACGME regulation is that you must be able to manage the post-op complications of patients who are status post D&C or D&E for whatever reason, including abortion.

In short, NO, there are no regulations which state that you must participate in abortions.

6. BayAreaOB

BayAreaOB Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

No program will make you do an abortion if you morally object. You will get plenty of training on D&Cs with missed AB/miscarriages. Many programs have residents who do not do abortions, there is no ACGME or state board requirement. Most residencies require you to be able to discuss the procedure with a patient (risks/benefits) as well as handle complications (infection, uterine perforation).

7. ThatKidMike

ThatKidMike Member
    2+ Year Member

Thanks for the feedback, I have no problem treating a woman with like an infection or problem post-abortion, it's just I would never go anywhere near that. I heard that many liberals were trying to make laws that would make ob/gyns have to perform abortions, primarily in NY state. Didn't know truth behind it, and since it seems that ob/gyns don't have to carry out abortions, I can still have it as a prospective specialty. :thumbup:

8. LADoc00

LADoc00 There is no substitute for victory.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I really believe it is only a matter of time before there is legislation that MANDATES participation of OBs in abortion during training. Probably under Hillary Clinton. This country has a very long history of discrimination, especially with Catholics who even now face signage in some parts of the country that is on the order of "No dogs or catholics allowed." (mainly in deep South, KKK country)

Seriously, come on, Catholicism is largest sect of Christianity in the US, yet the only Catholic president ever elected in the history of the US was assassinated? Yeah, lone gunman my ass!

9. juddson

juddson 3K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yea, historical discrimination in this country has been particularly bad with the . . .Catholics.

Unless I can't make out the sarcasm (always possible), you need your head examined.

Judd

10. Boopsie0101

Boopsie0101 New Member

Medical Student
    My residency director told me that while legally programs can't require you to observe/perform abortions, some programs will make you find someone to cover for you if you opt out. You can imagine how hard that would be.

11. superspec

superspec Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Are you joking??? Or are you insane?