Abortion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatKidMike

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I might be beating a dead topic over the head again but here is my question:

I'm interested in OB/GYN, but as a Catholic who is very pro-life, I would never myself perform an abortion, watch one, or anything like that.

My question: do you see/carry out abortions in residency? When you become an ob/gyn and lets say you work in a hospital, if a woman asks for an abortion could you personally object? Also how much is abortion covered in residency if at all, and how much can it be avoided in residency/career if I desire so?

Thanks
Mike

Members don't see this ad.

ThatKidMike said:
Sorry if I might be beating a dead topic over the head again but here is my question:

I'm interested in OB/GYN, but as a Catholic who is very pro-life, I would never myself perform an abortion, watch one, or anything like that.

My question: do you see/carry out abortions in residency? When you become an ob/gyn and lets say you work in a hospital, if a woman asks for an abortion could you personally object? Also how much is abortion covered in residency if at all, and how much can it be avoided in residency/career if I desire so?

Thanks
Mike

I thought the Libtards had a passed a law that not only forced you to observe but also perform a certain number of abortions to be boarded now including at least 1 late term procedure where you could actually hear audible agonal yelps. :eek: I would check with the ACGME.

LADoc00 said:
I thought the Libtards had a passed a law that not only forced you to observe but also perform a certain number of abortions to be boarded now including at least 1 late term procedure where you could actually hear audible agonal yelps. :eek: I would check with the ACGME.

:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
ThatKidMike said:

Thanks
Mike

I'm not Catholic, but I'm right there with you. I would never perform an abortion, but they are performed at my residency institution for fetal anomalies. Residents also have the option of rotating at an abortion clinic and butchering babies all day long till their heart's content.

You can be assured that your residency program cannot force you to participate in the process. However, the ACGME regulation is that you must be able to manage the post-op complications of patients who are status post D&C or D&E for whatever reason, including abortion.

In short, NO, there are no regulations which state that you must participate in abortions.

No program will make you do an abortion if you morally object. You will get plenty of training on D&Cs with missed AB/miscarriages. Many programs have residents who do not do abortions, there is no ACGME or state board requirement. Most residencies require you to be able to discuss the procedure with a patient (risks/benefits) as well as handle complications (infection, uterine perforation).

BayAreaOB said:
No program will make you do an abortion if you morally object. You will get plenty of training on D&Cs with missed AB/miscarriages. Many programs have residents who do not do abortions, there is no ACGME or state board requirement. Most residencies require you to be able to discuss the procedure with a patient (risks/benefits) as well as handle complications (infection, uterine perforation).

Thanks for the feedback, I have no problem treating a woman with like an infection or problem post-abortion, it's just I would never go anywhere near that. I heard that many liberals were trying to make laws that would make ob/gyns have to perform abortions, primarily in NY state. Didn't know truth behind it, and since it seems that ob/gyns don't have to carry out abortions, I can still have it as a prospective specialty. :thumbup:

ThatKidMike said:
Thanks for the feedback, I have no problem treating a woman with like an infection or problem post-abortion, it's just I would never go anywhere near that. I heard that many liberals were trying to make laws that would make ob/gyns have to perform abortions, primarily in NY state. Didn't know truth behind it, and since it seems that ob/gyns don't have to carry out abortions, I can still have it as a prospective specialty. :thumbup:

I really believe it is only a matter of time before there is legislation that MANDATES participation of OBs in abortion during training. Probably under Hillary Clinton. This country has a very long history of discrimination, especially with Catholics who even now face signage in some parts of the country that is on the order of "No dogs or catholics allowed." (mainly in deep South, KKK country)

Seriously, come on, Catholicism is largest sect of Christianity in the US, yet the only Catholic president ever elected in the history of the US was assassinated? Yeah, lone gunman my ass!

LADoc00 said:
This country has a very long history of discrimination, especially with Catholics . . .)

Yea, historical discrimination in this country has been particularly bad with the . . .Catholics.

Unless I can't make out the sarcasm (always possible), you need your head examined.

Judd

My residency director told me that while legally programs can't require you to observe/perform abortions, some programs will make you find someone to cover for you if you opt out. You can imagine how hard that would be.

LADoc00 said:
I really believe it is only a matter of time before there is legislation that MANDATES participation of OBs in abortion during training. Probably under Hillary Clinton. This country has a very long history of discrimination, especially with Catholics who even now face signage in some parts of the country that is on the order of "No dogs or catholics allowed." (mainly in deep South, KKK country)

Seriously, come on, Catholicism is largest sect of Christianity in the US, yet the only Catholic president ever elected in the history of the US was assassinated? Yeah, lone gunman my ass!

Are you joking??? Or are you insane?