MedSchool and Seminary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmd13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know any institutions that have a med school AND a seminary school? All I know of are Harvard and Duke...

Members don't see this ad.

I guess we should define seminary school because I have no idea what it is. Does seminary school = divinity school = a place that confers MA/PhD in Theology?

If so, University of Chicago, Yale, Duke, Emory, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, and lots more? And probably all the Jesuit schools?

Are you thinking of attending both at the same time? If not, why do they have to have both?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your responses, and sorry for my late reply! But yes, that is what I meant by seminary school. And I'm asking because I'm curious to know if there is a school that my future spouse and I can both attend.

I'm sure there's a seminary school somewhere in St. Louis?

Thank you all for your responses, and sorry for my late reply! But yes, that is what I meant by seminary school. And I'm asking because I'm curious to know if there is a school that my future spouse and I can both attend.

What is the goal? Your fiance wants a PhD in theology? or wants to become a minister?

What denomination? Evangelical? Lutheran? Baptist? ???

Does anyone know any institutions that have a med school AND a seminary school? All I know of are Harvard and Duke...

Not sure if they have seminaries but William Carey University, Campbell, and Baylor are all Christian universities.

Loma Linda has a Seventh-Day Adventist seminary.

He would be going for either a Master of Divinity or Master of Theology. And preferably a school rooted in Wesleyan doctrine (not baptist)... Although we are looking into all possibilities! I would be fine with either osteopathic or allopathic as well. Thanks guys!

The two don't also have to be at the same institution. I'm assuming you just want to live near each other. Search for cities or towns that have both a med school and a seminary (or they are close enough you can live between them).

Boston University has both. But as long as they are both in the same city that would work I assume. I would imagine that most large cities will have good options for you both.

I would assume that there are fewer Wesylean seminaries than there are medical schools in the US. Why not choose a bunch of seminaries and then determine the location of the closest medical schools using the MSAR (best $25 you'll ever spend) and google map. There may be seminaries not affiliated with the same university but close enough that you can both attend good schools and still live together (as husband and wife... I doubt the seminary likes its students to be shacking up ;) )

It might help if you told us your home state and your stats.

For instance, if you're a Texas resident, we'd probably could name some SOMs that include or ar near colleges with Masters of Div or Theo.

Your stats would also give us an idea of where you might be competitive.

If a masters in theo is ok, can the school be public?

I'm guessing the Catholics are out? If not, then USA SOM is close to Springhill (Jesuit). Of course, SLU would have both as well as likely Creighton and Loyola.

He would be going for either a Master of Divinity or Master of Theology. And preferably a school rooted in Wesleyan doctrine (not baptist)... Although we are looking into all possibilities! I would be fine with either osteopathic or allopathic as well. Thanks guys!

Emory has a great medical school and a major United Methodist seminary in Candler (the UMC is grounded heavily in John Wesley's theology). Baylor also trains many of the UMC ministers. Also, you can look into Wesley Theological in DC (many DC and Virginia and Maryland schools). Also, Asbury Theological is in Kentucky where there are a few schools.

Wow thank you all so much!!!

To respond to those who asked, I am a VA resident and I am graduating in May with a 3.7 GPA (overall and BCPM) but have yet to take the MCAT (taking it this summer!). I have a great deal of leadership experience, direct patient care experience, community service, and shadowing. However, I have not done ANY research.

I also agree that it's living in the same city that matters most. Emory seems like an amazing option (if we both get in)! Wesley Theological Seminary and GWU seem like a great option too, especially because it is close to home.

You all have been very helpful and I really appreciate your responses, I think it's time I invest in the MSAR :)