This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebamboo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope someone can advise on this specific situation.

All of my LORs have letterheads, besides one that my former post-bacc director is writing for me. Since they left the school after my completion of the program, they’re saying that they’d be happy to write it as my former director/advisor and about my time in the program, but since they are no longer affiliated with the school, the letter will not have a letterhead. They're also currently not employed, so a current institution/company logo is out of the question.
Is this a big issue? I know that they can write me a very strong letter, but I’m worried about whether or not having a letterhead will impact how schools will view the letter. Is there maybe an alternative? Such as creating a personal letterhead?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the school but I have a letter from a private clinic doctor. She only included a personal letter head (ie. name, location of the clinic, and contact info) not an official logo or anything. So far, most schools accepted it except for WashU so I would recommend checking with schools

I need clarification of who the reference is. This person had been your advisor but left the position and is currently seeking employment or doing something else, right?

If the former program director gives a proper signature and appropriate contact information, there shouldn't be any issues (check with schools). I presume that as a postbac program admin, he/she has written letters while employed such that the name recognition should help.

(Yes I have seen personally created letterhead, but didn't wink as long as some authenticating information is included like a signature plus contact information. And yes, I have often called that person to verify.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I need clarification of who the reference is. This person had been your advisor but left the position and is currently seeking employment or doing something else, right?

If the former program director gives a proper signature and appropriate contact information, there shouldn't be any issues (check with schools). I presume that as a postbac program admin, he/she has written letters while employed such that the name recognition should help.

(Yes I have seen personally created letterhead, but didn't wink as long as some authenticating information is included like a signature plus contact information. And yes, I have often called that person to verify.)
Correct. By title, they were the Director of the post-bacc program for many years and our main point of contact through advising and progress check ups. They left the program and are focusing more on family from what I can tell, but could be looking for other employment as well - not sure. They’ve certainly written letters before and probably are a familiar name to some local adcoms due to the affiliation with the medical school.

Thank you so much for your insight! I’ll keep what you said in mind.

It depends on the school but I have a letter from a private clinic doctor. She only included a personal letter head (ie. name, location of the clinic, and contact info) not an official logo or anything. So far, most schools accepted it except for WashU so I would recommend checking with schools
Did they contact you directly to let you know they didn’t accept it after submitting? Or you had checked with them prior to submitting?

Did they contact you directly to let you know they didn’t accept it after submitting? Or you had checked with them prior to submitting?
They didn't contact me when they rejected it. It was my bad for not checking with them before hand but I checked with Interfolio and other schools and no one said anything. Plus it was my extra letter (as in not three core letter from professors) so I didn't pursue the matter further.