Meet Windsor University, the Caribbean school from hell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonimus.Maximus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Windsor University School of Medicine produces profits, few doctors

This extreme even by Caribbean standards, but let's look at this rap sheet:

- Hiding students' passports

- A semi-illiterate school president

- Plagiarizing other schools' exams

- Expelling students for criticizing the school, then holding their stuff for ransom

Nope.

Members don't see this ad.

in b4 everyone says "you're still a doctor, work hard and land your residency, don't count on your medical school to help you!!!!"

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is old news...

Imagine the level of impulsiveness, naivety, and desperation that would be required for someone to even consider attending a medical school like Windsor.

No one should pity the Windsor flunk-outs at all.

Are you licensed to practice in the US if you come straight out of the Caribbean, or would you have to go through the same steps a physician from, say, Europe would have to?

# of hurdles:

USMD/DO > IMG > FMG

Reactions: 1 user
That, and "you just need to work super hard and ace Step I!"
I love the old "I went to carib, got a 270+ step 1, now I'm a plastic/neuro/cardiothoracic/derm super-chimera-attending. med school means nothing, its all about step 1"

Reactions: 1 users
BTW, in 2013, the match rate for all of St. Kitts (which has 3 medical schools) is below. This has no information about attrition rate and those who applied for residency but either withdrew or didnt rank. In the US MD schools, those 3 (attrition, residency withdrawal, no rank) is just under 8% of the a starting class. There is also minimal SOAP (post match) placement via off-shore grads. So therefore, these rates would be reduced by at least 10%. In essence, you have about 1 out of 3 chance of starting medical school on St. Kitts, earning a degree, and obtaining any residency slot

View attachment 223954

Wow
That is one hell of a risk

Actually, I know someone who went to Saba about 2000 and got some extraordinary score like that. She was from a "traditional" family where "girls" went to nursing school and was actively discourage from even considering being a premed at her college, even not to take the MCAT, so she went where she didnt need one, Saba. Turned out she was brilliant and went into IM and GI. Why? During one of here US rotations, she met a group of female docs who had a large GI practice who were incredibly supportive of her path so she followed them, eventually joining the practice.

The Carib does graduate thousands of docs each year who go off to residency, but at least as many, do not graduate or do not get a residency slot, thus cant practice clinical medicine. But Windsor and the other schools on St. Kitts are the real bottom of the barrel.
So what can they do with a M.D without a residency?
I know of some foreign doctors who ended up bussing tables, and eventually did something else because they couldn't get a residency.
All the foreign docs who practice un my town have been here since the 70s, and 80s, don't know anyone from a recent time.
I believe one of the heads at the local hospital here is also a doctor from abroad, but came here in the 70s or maybe late 60s..
I don't know, something like that though.

Actually, I know someone who went to Saba about 2000 and got some extraordinary score like that. She was from a "traditional" family where "girls" went to nursing school and was actively discourage from even considering being a premed at her college, even not to take the MCAT, so she went where she didnt need one, Saba. Turned out she was brilliant and went into IM and GI. Why? During one of here US rotations, she met a group of female docs who had a large GI practice who were incredibly supportive of her path so she followed them, eventually joining the practice.

The Carib does graduate thousands of docs each year who go off to residency, but at least as many, do not graduate or do not get a residency slot, thus cant practice clinical medicine. But Windsor and the other schools on St. Kitts are the real bottom of the barrel.
I don't doubt the IM --> GI pathway. Albeit, GI is a very competitive fellowship, but maybe that's more of a recent thing? MD admissions and medicine (residency etc.) has changed drastically since 2000 though, hasn't it?

i'm always baffled when carib students match top tier residencies (ortho, nrsg, derm...)

Members don't see this ad :)
For Gunman at Bronx Hospital, Fleeting Success and Persistent Strife

The Bronx-Lebanon hospital shooter was a Caribbean grad (Ross), and he was accepted into the medical school despite a previous criminal record of being arrested and charged with sex abuse and unlawful imprisonment (the latter of which he pleaded guilty for). He was also arrested a second time while in medical school, but his record is sealed.

I'm wondering if such criminal charges would normally be overlooked by US schools or that Carribean schools are less stringent about criminal records...

The Bronx-Lebanon hospital shooter was a Caribbean grad (Ross), and he was accepted into the medical school despite a previous criminal record of being arrested and charged with sex abuse and unlawful imprisonment (the latter of which he pleaded guilty for). He was also arrested a second time while in medical school, but his record is sealed.

I'm wondering if such criminal charges would normally be overlooked by US schools or that Carribean schools are less stringent about criminal records...

If you can pay, you're in. That's all it is.

Reactions: 1 users

Anyone with a criminal record like that would be DOA at a US med school.

Carib, they don't care.

Anyone with a criminal record like that would be DOA at a US med school.

Carib, they don't care.
Carib main admissions factor is MCAT+GPA, I mean, when the tuition check clears*

So what can they do with a M.D without a residency?
I know of some foreign doctors who ended up bussing tables, and eventually did something else because they couldn't get a residency.
All the foreign docs who practice un my town have been here since the 70s, and 80s, don't know anyone from a recent time.
I believe one of the heads at the local hospital here is also a doctor from abroad, but came here in the 70s or maybe late 60s..
I don't know, something like that though.
Work as a waiter or those advertisements on television during the very early mornings

That hs the dude is planning on creating is gunna do some serious damage. SAD.

"He told local officials he planned to invest $6 million over three years to establish a boarding school for 10th- through 12th-graders. Enrollment in his high school would guarantee admittance into his Caribbean medical schools, Gaddam promised."

- A semi-illiterate school president

It might be the president!

Windsor school of medicine has been producing health care experts for along. Moreover, students from all over the world are eager to take admission in Caribbean medical schools (an obvious google translate). First, it was thought that Caribbean medical schools are alternative to students who don't get admission in American medical schools but now this is not the case. In previous years, Caribbean medical schools has gained tremendous popularity

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
2.7 ugpa, no mcat. no bachelor's, windsore graduate (196 step 1, took during hurricane)

AMA!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
In every year, virtually every Saba student will have passes the USMLE Step 1 on his first attempt. Over the past 5 years, Saba’s first-time pass rate averaged over 99%+ ---- an achievement un-matched By Any Other international medical schools.
Approvals/Recognitions in New York, California, and Florida only
If you're relying on SABA as the source of this info, are you aware that they are under no legal obligation to tell the truth? In fact, the truth will be a detriment to their business model.

Even if the kids do have a 100% pass rate, their lousy placement rate is more the issue. Well, that and the lousy attrition rate as well.

If you're relying on SABA as the source of this info, are you aware that they are under no legal obligation to tell the truth? In fact, the truth will be a detriment to their business model.

Even if the kids do have a 100% pass rate, their lousy placement rate is more the issue. Well, that and the lousy attrition rate as well.
fine :(

IIRC, you had trouble with a SMP and now have gone to the Carib?

No goro, I was just being stupid but my internet personality doesn't translate well here.

I aced a DIY post-bacc at a cheap local college and am happy that I'll be studying state side this summer.

• Haha