Non-LOR letter from grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lexilescore

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in a bit of a sticky situation, as I had completed 2 semesters of a master's program before applying last cycle, but I ended up withdrawing due to a few situations involving my PI, myself, and a number of other students (multiple conduct violations from prof resulting in their termination for the curious folks). I had used my PI as a LOR last time, but I am choosing not to this time out of fear of retaliation. However, a few of the MD schools that I am applying to require a letter from a grad school/PI if you've ever been enrolled.
I spoke with my undergraduate advisor and she recommended that I ask the graduate school chair for a LOR, but I'm concerned that it would be a weak letter. I mainly only knew him due to their investigation prior to my PI's dismissal. I'm not particularly close with any other faculty in the department either due time and it being a small and relatively uncommunicative department. Is it possible to ask for a letter of verification/letter of acknowledgement and how would one go about phrasing that?
 
Does your letter need to be up to date? If you are still part of your graduate program, your director should write your letter and explain the circumstances. If you are concerned that the letter would be weak, set up a conversation to go over the contents of the letter.