Meeting with #1 choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbhdying

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am applying to gen surg next year and I finally got into good contact with a PGY3 at my #1 choice.

So far in our exchange of emails, ive written:
- a little bit about myself
- why the program is my first choice
- some interests I’ve developed in surgery & research
- attached my CV with research pubs

I also told them I would like to know more about the program and discuss my career plans. We have a meeting scheduled on zoom and I’m wondering what I could ask in regards to knowing more about the program? Also, does anyone have any ideas for what I could discuss to continue keeping in touch with them as a mentor/advocate and make a good, lasting impression on them for when I apply ? (I would like to do research with them too, if I could, because our interests align.)
I’ve never done this, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you just cold email this program? Wondering if its worth contacting my #1 as well

Did you just cold email this program? Wondering if its worth contacting my #1 as well
i technically did cause I never knew the person, but maybe it helped that the resident graduated from my med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I am applying to gen surg next year and I finally got into good contact with a PGY3 at my #1 choice.

So far in our exchange of emails, ive written:
- a little bit about myself
- why the program is my first choice
- some interests I’ve developed in surgery & research
- attached my CV with research pubs

I also told them I would like to know more about the program and discuss my career plans. We have a meeting scheduled on zoom and I’m wondering what I could ask in regards to knowing more about the program? Also, does anyone have any ideas for what I could discuss to continue keeping in touch with them as a mentor/advocate and make a good, lasting impression on them for when I apply ? (I would like to do research with them too, if I could, because our interests align.)
I’ve never done this, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Love the hustle. I dont think Pgy3 in surgery have much pull but maybe they can give some insight into the program.

Reactions: 1 users
Love the hustle. I dont think Pgy3 in surgery have much pull but maybe they can give some insight into the program.
Thank you! They will be a PGY4 when I apply and a PGY5 when I start but you’re probably right, I don’t expect too much of a pull. I genuinely want to know more about the program and other advice for applying and shining out to them. I also want to keep them as a good contact and advocate cause any connection to that place is better than none 😅

Thank you! They will be a PGY4 when I apply and a PGY5 when I start but you’re probably right, I don’t expect too much of a pull. I genuinely want to know more about the program and other advice for applying and shining out to them. I also want to keep them as a good contact and advocate cause any connection to that place is better than none 😅
Gotcha, it doesnt hurt. An away at the institution will prob do all those things and prob more efficient.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, does anyone have any ideas for what I could discuss to continue keeping in touch with them as a mentor/advocate and make a good, lasting impression on them for when I apply ?
You should ask them things you want to know or for advice for your career, not attempt to look good. Residents generally have little pull in getting applicants ranked higher.

Regardless of specialty, I would say residents at relatively competitive programs get cold emails from med students not too infrequently - I know we do. Personally I love answering these because I like feeling like a mentor and helping people. People typically ask more about the interview process and what life as a resident is like, etc. I'm not going to say anything to the chair if I haven't actually met them (though an away or interview dinner), though.

Nice work! I definitely did this too with past grads from my school since it gave such a nice way in. I think doing research remotely could prove challenging and may not be worth the time involved unless the project is something not involving PHI. Getting all the powers that be to let someone off site have access to HIPAA protected stuff can be a pain.

In no particular order, questions I’d ask:

1) how is the away rotation set up? How many rotators? Opportunity for face time to get letters? History of taking rotators?

2) ask PGY3 their experience applying/rotating there when they were in your shoes

3) how is the culture there? Juniors call attendings directly or does only the chief call the boss?

4) is there a focused effort on teaching interns and 2s or are you scutted out and they just hope for the best? What kind of cases did you do as a 1 and 2?

5) what are your rotation sites? Do you have a nice balance of big academic center with lots of hand holding alongside a VA or county experience where trainees can fly solo?

6) what are recent grads doing? Fellowships? Academics vs private? Department culture toward this choice?

7) are the chiefs well trained and comfortable doing reasonably advanced cases? Are people doing fellowships because they want academic jobs or because they didn’t get good enough training?

8) ask about research experience. Protected time? When? Financial resources? Support for meetings?

• Love
Nice work! I definitely did this too with past grads from my school since it gave such a nice way in. I think doing research remotely could prove challenging and may not be worth the time involved unless the project is something not involving PHI. Getting all the powers that be to let someone off site have access to HIPAA protected stuff can be a pain.

In no particular order, questions I’d ask:

1) how is the away rotation set up? How many rotators? Opportunity for face time to get letters? History of taking rotators?

2) ask PGY3 their experience applying/rotating there when they were in your shoes

3) how is the culture there? Juniors call attendings directly or does only the chief call the boss?

4) is there a focused effort on teaching interns and 2s or are you scutted out and they just hope for the best? What kind of cases did you do as a 1 and 2?

5) what are your rotation sites? Do you have a nice balance of big academic center with lots of hand holding alongside a VA or county experience where trainees can fly solo?

6) what are recent grads doing? Fellowships? Academics vs private? Department culture toward this choice?

7) are the chiefs well trained and comfortable doing reasonably advanced cases? Are people doing fellowships because they want academic jobs or because they didn’t get good enough training?

8) ask about research experience. Protected time? When? Financial resources? Support for meetings?
This is so helpful, thank you so much! 😭 yess absolutely.. I wanted to do this meeting so that they can have an idea that I exist before I come for my away and then be able to build on that. I will keep this list in mind for my meeting! Thank you once again!!

As a current MS3 how would y’all recommend cold emailing ? From what I’ve seen on program websites, I haven’t seen any email addresses. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place?

Probably wouldn't cold email. If you have a connection with the person, then by all means try to send them an email (if they graduated from your undergrad or med school, are from your town, etc.). But otherwise it's a fine line between sticking out as "that" med student and being proactive. It's a very fine line.

Probably wouldn't cold email. If you have a connection with the person, then by all means try to send them an email (if they graduated from your undergrad or med school, are from your town, etc.). But otherwise it's a fine line between sticking out as "that" med student and being proactive. It's a very fine line.
Furthermore, don’t expect that resident to then vouch for you. And definitely don’t expect a resident vouching for you to help much during rank meetings.

Talk to residents to learn more about a program. Please don’t talk to residents to help you match there.