Meeting with Assistant Dean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulReapp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm meeting with an assistant dean of a med school in the next few days. I applied here last year, received an interview, and then was high waitlisted. I've been in contact with the dean over the cycle and everything has seemed relatively friendly, but of course I still remain a level of formal in my proceedings.

I made a meeting to talk with him about my application and I just wanted to know if my approach sounds reasonable-

1) Describe why I like their school and how I match their mission statement
2) Prepared for normal questions like "why medicine?", "what have you been up to recently?"
3) Answer "what am I here for" by asking about what he thinks my application's strengths and weaknesses are, any ways to change this during this coming gap year (i've already submitted my primary compared to last year when it was done in August), ask for any advice or how i could improve for the interview, how can I make myself a more competitive applicant

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a relatively short meeting (30 mins max maybe?), but I'm wondering if I'm missing anything.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know why you'd waste his time with #1. Your objective is to find out how to improve your app and your interview performance, not make him some sales pitch about what a great match you are for each other. Focus on 3.