Operating Room Assistant Opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekkojungleworks

Reaction score
I recently got an opportunity to work as an operating room assistant. I would mainly prepare the OR for surgery and wouldn't have that much patient interaction, although there is still a little. Would this be considered clinical work and would it be something worthwhile. I think I will allow me to gain some insight into surgery which I may be interested in pursuing. Besides this job I still plan on volunteering at my local hospital so I do get some patient interactions there. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You would be employed by a hospital. You would be in patient care areas and be interacting with other members of the care team. You would have responsibilities related to patient privacy and confidentiality of information that might come your way as you prepare the ORs. A job is a job and I think that this might be better than some other things that one might do that would not have any bearing on an application such as working as a baker's assistant or an overnight security guard at a warehouse.

That said, it isn't going to blow anyone away. Interactions with patients as part of your volunteer work would be pretty important as would some community service in a role that serves marginalized populations. And, of course, none of this matters if it has a negative effect on your grades and your ability to do well on the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users