Meeting your significant other during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Annoyances said:
You don't have much time during intern year since there is too much stuff to do in general and u are getting out at weird hours and constantly on call. When u are not on call on average u just want to sleep. I hear in later years and in med school is the best time to meet your significant other...

With the 80 hour work week there is time to date as an intern, too.

pgy-1
Surgery
Female

Members don't see this ad.

darrvao777 said:
haha...i'm sure there are lots of specialities out there (probably the ones with 40-50 work weeks) that provide plenty of time for dating/socializing/etc... etc...

The surgeons here arent having trouble making it out on the weekends.

Try hooking up on myspace.com.

okcupid.com is nice because it's free, you can customize searches easily, lots of tests and q's to waste time on, oh, & you can IM people randomly at 3 in the morning ;) Seems like there are a lot of law students on this site...maybe that's just me :) 4.5 stars

match.com=costs money to try to talk to anyone you're interested in. Otherwise all you can do is send winks. And they edit out anything that would reasonable allow someone to contact you without going through the site. I've never actually paid for this one, so it's hard for me to say if it's worthwhile. 3 stars

eharmoney.com=blah. Costs $. Features primarily dorky engineers/computer programmers, has boring question sets. I don't like how inflexible their matching system is. I tried this and had multiple guys find out my email address via google from something I wrote about clubs (not a good thing in those cases) :scared: 2 stars

NRAI2001 said:
How difficult is it to go out and meet people (girlfriend or boyfriend potentials) while your doing your residency? Does it happen a lot. Do residents have time to go out to bars, clubs,....etc?

For some reason i got this image of doctors basically putting their entire social life on hold durign the years of their residency, am I accurate?

During the roughest waters of my internship, I went on more dates in month, than I had in entire years prior. And they were juicy too.

and yet another problematic issue of being a girl doctor. keep hearing these fantastically funny yet depressing stories all over the place of the "oh, and what do you do? oh, buh bye" conversations.

irrka said:
and yet another problematic issue of being a girl doctor. keep hearing these fantastically funny yet depressing stories all over the place of the "oh, and what do you do? oh, buh bye" conversations.

I think everyone wants to marry a doctor.........but no one wants to date one; for guys and girls.

Most people know that medstudents/ interns work long hours and get paid very little. Not a good combo in most peoples opinion for having fun and dating.

I think when people start thinking of marriage and settling down they start to consider docs as potentials.........but untill then most are still in their fun having/ partying stage and doctors just dont fit that lifestyle very well.

irrka said:

Yeah, we're not very popular in the dating world, especially surgery residents.

Kimberli Cox said:
Yeah, we're not very popular in the dating world, especially surgery residents.

and yet, one step ahead of the girl urology residents.

and yet another problematic issue of being a girl doctor. keep hearing these fantastically funny yet depressing stories all over the place of the "oh, and what do you do?

Oh, I am in the consulting business....

Once they know you a bit better, you can drop the bomb on them and let them know that you are a 'woman doctor'. ;) (Its harder to run away at that point. )

I met my boyfriend outside of med school. I think that a great way to meet people outside of school is to try to meet the friends of your non med school friends. I love that at the end of the day I can get away from all of the crazy emotions I associate with medicine and relax and enjoy being with someone who does something totally different and interesting. I don't think it matters what you significant other does as long as that person is passionate about it. It is important that you can talk about issues and work through them, facing problems as they come. The truth is that a lot of jobs outside of medicine also demand a large amount of time and so I don't feel guilty that I don't have an 8-5 schedule because my significant other is also working long hours right now.

chicamedica said:
Are you saying students at berkeley, MIT, Cal tech, etc aren't genuine? That's quite a generalization you're making.

also, berkeley doesn't really belong on that list. there's way more there than competitive science people...

for what it's worth, I know never say never, but I do not plan on ever dating within my class...ideally I do not plan on dating within medicine. If I ever find myself sitting around talking path with my girl, I think something needs to change. (Yes you people dating within your class know it happens) My gf now is in grad school for social work...way better

jocg27 said:
also, berkeley doesn't really belong on that list. there's way more there than competitive science people...

for what it's worth, I know never say never, but I do not plan on ever dating within my class...ideally I do not plan on dating within medicine. If I ever find myself sitting around talking path with my girl, I think something needs to change. (Yes you people dating within your class know it happens) My gf now is in grad school for social work...way better
Hmm, gotta say, I enjoy having significant others who actually know what I am talking about and what I go through day to day. But then, both my parents are physicians, so I just grew up with it being normal that my parents could talk to each other intelligently about their work. :)

Sohalia said:
Hmm, gotta say, I enjoy having significant others who actually know what I am talking about and what I go through day to day. But then, both my parents are physicians, so I just grew up with it being normal that my parents could talk to each other intelligently about their work. :)

My feelings exactly - there is no one like another physician, especially one in the same field, who knows what its like to give a bad diagnosis, to worry about your treatment plan, etc. I don't mind talking "shop" but if I didn't have any other interests to share with my SO, I'd be pretty boring, so its a good thing I also read People magazine so I can spread all the newsy celebrity gossip as well! ;)

Find a dental student...that's what I did and it's gonna "pay" off - both literally and plus she's just wonderful!

NRAI2001 said:
I dont mean they re icky, i m not 12. But i think people who went to really competitive/science focused schools like berkeley, MIT, Cal tech...etc would understand me better. The girls at berkeley (the guys also) are very different and are very wierd in some sense. Its difficult to pin point how so, but there is just something about them. Most of the people here were nerds in high school. Majority continue to be nerds here, few are actually "normal" genuine people. Some know that they were/are nerds and try to over compensate by pretending they weren't/arent.

I have met people from other schools and they are generally much cooler, laid back, interesting, and generally nicer. Berkeley is a competitive place and people become mean and cynical quite quickly.

hahahaha!!

I can totally relate to you. My med class is also filled with people of your description. The only jokes they seem to be able to make are some crazy applications of their recently acquired medical knowledge. And then there are the ones (mostly from "Lion City") who go totally crazy and paranoid when they see you studying in the library. They would ask you repeatedly "Why are you here? What are you doing here?" until you tell them you're not here to study, only until then will they settle down. I'm not kidding; I've personally experienced this many times over. It's just sad....

Sohalia said:
okcupid.com is nice because it's free, you can customize searches easily, lots of tests and q's to waste time on, oh, & you can IM people randomly at 3 in the morning ;) Seems like there are a lot of law students on this site...maybe that's just me :) 4.5 stars

match.com=costs money to try to talk to anyone you're interested in. Otherwise all you can do is send winks. And they edit out anything that would reasonable allow someone to contact you without going through the site. I've never actually paid for this one, so it's hard for me to say if it's worthwhile. 3 stars

eharmoney.com=blah. Costs $. Features primarily dorky engineers/computer programmers, has boring question sets. I don't like how inflexible their matching system is. I tried this and had multiple guys find out my email address via google from something I wrote about clubs (not a good thing in those cases) :scared: 2 stars
After thinking about it, I wanted to add this comment:
These sites are definitely for different things. Okcupid is just for a fluffy good time. No different from winking at the cute guy in the hospital cafeteria (ok, maybe worse because you don't always get a pic). Match is a little more serious, but there is a range here, from quick pick up to ltr types. Eharmony seems to be the most serious by far. Guys I conversed with/met from this site actually brought up that they were ready for marriage. So despite the cost, Eharmony is a much better value if that is what you're looking for. I'm thinking I might sign back up with them soon... ;)

He's right, girl med students are horny, but that's because nobody (except dork med students/residents) would date them.

I don't get it - why date a girl in your class when you have pharm, dental, nursing, PT/OT, psychology, etc. at your disposal at health science centers. And don't forget undergrad a$$.

Another note, people will look down on you on these boards for slinging the "I'm in med school" line at women. Ofcourse, the tools that only have med school going for them, fail reapetedly with this line (the girls aren't impressed).

My point - work out/be athletic, go out/socialize, dress nice, and be confident. Add those things plus "I'm in med school" and watch what happens...life is good my friend.

Yes! exactly!

If you can't date quality women (read hot) because of your degree or degree to be, then you need to work on your game/communication skills. You also do not necessarily have to be attractive if you are a guy looking to date hot women (although it certainly helps). You need to have the image that you have or will have $$.

Try this next time you are at a bar: grow some balls and go up to a girl you are attracted to. Start talking to her by asking some crap like "whatcha drinking" (make sure her drink is full; ur not buying her a drink). Then just give your name and ask her crap about her job, where she lives, etc. (just let her talk about herself in other words). Pretend to be interested. Inevitably the question will come up "what do you do". Ha! now you have let her play your trump card! nice! Now if you are still afloat, and it's been 10 minutes or so you can actually buy her a drink. Your goal is more so to get her number than to sleep with her that night (that kinda stuff only happens rarely; you can't make it happen) But if she gives you her # with a smile, there's a good chance you could later achieve your goal (be it relationship or just sex) After you sleep with her, laugh with your buddies about the whole thing then repeat! good luck!

NB - Do not try this with intelligent/advanced degree women. Often this can be avoided if you only talk to the most attractive women in the bar. If she says she is a med student also, politely say that you have to go to the bathroom and move on to a real victim!

NBB- I'm an MD, and yes, life is good my friend........

Wow-- that's pretty sick, and I mean that in a bad way.