Meetings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exigente chica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Allright, time for meetings...my abstract just got accepted to the Sigma Xi meeting and the Experimental Biology meeting. Is anyone going to any meetings this year? If so, let us know:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!!!!

I applied for their undergrad reserach grant and got dinged. My mentors tell me that most fxs sigma xi sponsers are pretty competitive.

Congrats, exigente!

No scientific meetings for me this fall. I suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by CaNEM
Congrats, exigente!

No scientific meetings for me this fall. I suck.

Non, vous ne tetez pas! Even though I have not gone to any meetings yet this year, all is not lost. Have you been to any good lectures?

I did get to see Judah Folkman talk last month and man, I just sat there in the front row, swooning, like a groupie. It was awesome. He is awesome, the ultimate underdog comeback. He mainly talked about some interferon case studies, very little about his development of angio and endostatin. It was just enough to get me pumped for the MSTP application process. I will never forget it. :)

I am heading out for the Midwest Drosophila Conference in two weeks. It'll be the first time I have ever presented a poster at a conference. Should be fun!

I'm spending a week in Orlando in November :clap:

Presenting my senior thesis at the Society for Neuroscience annual meeting and the Developmental Psychobiology meeting, back to back.

Did I mention I'm spending a week in Orlando ? :clap: :clap: :clap:

exigente,

I am not going to any meetings for the same reason that I don't have any publications yet - my mentor can be pretty lazy at times. I have done enough work for 2 manuscripts, and they have already been started, but there is no way I can get them finished, cleaned up, and published without my PI's help. He is soooo slow. Hopefully the papers will finally be sent out by early next year.

As far as the meetings, the last two years, my PI offered to fly me down to the Soc for Neurosci conference to present, but didn't come through. Ah, well.

Anyway, I hope you have fun at Sigma Xi! Are you putting together a poster? Oral presentation?

Originally posted by surge
I'm spending a week in Orlando in November :clap:

Presenting my senior thesis at the Society for Neuroscience annual meeting and the Developmental Psychobiology meeting, back to back.

I'm jealous, surge, I wish I were going to SFN! Enjoy the warm sunny weather!:)

What is your thesis on?

you saw judah folkman!! cool. yeah, his story is quite inspiring. our lab works on monitoring the effects of angiostatin/endostatin using MRI. The biochemistry behind it I think is fascinating. I have yet to determine (if accepted) which graduate department to do my research with! bme or biochem!

I could've had my way paid to Neuroscience as co-presenter for the project I'm working on now. But, I decided that with all the interviews and my class that it would be best for me not to travel anymore and that it wouldn't be good to miss two more classes...

Blah. If anyone is going down there and wants to see the poster, PM me.

I'll be at the Biophysical society meeting in March.

exigente,

I am not going to any meetings for the same reason that I don't have any publications yet - my mentor can be pretty lazy at times. I have done enough work for 2 manuscripts, and they have already been started, but there is no way I can get them finished, cleaned up, and published without my PI's help. He is soooo slow. Hopefully the papers will finally be sent out by early next year.

As far as the meetings, the last two years, my PI offered to fly me down to the Soc for Neurosci conference to present, but didn't come through. Ah, well.

Anyway, I hope you have fun at Sigma Xi! Are you putting together a poster? Oral presentation?

Thanks everyone for the support:clap: I am a talker so I will be giving and oral at this meeting, and a poster at the one for Experimental Biology in April.

I know Canem, it can suck to have a mentor like that. I totally know how u are feeling. I was working in a lab similar to that last year, I left and it was the best thing that I ever did!!

Hope everything works out for you soon..are u applying in this cycle?

I'm jealous, surge, I wish I were going to SFN! Enjoy the warm sunny weather!:)

What is your thesis on?

My thesis revolves around the developmental effects of early (postnatal) experiences on neurotransmitter profiles of the central stress and cardiovascular control mechanisms (CeA, HPA axis) in rats. I also looked at some behavioral anxiety measures.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that I know exactly how frustrating it can be when your mentors are slow... I'm so lucky that my thesis mentor is just amazing when it comes to stuff like that. He is all about publishing and presenting (took me to SFN last year in San Diego, even though I wasn't presenting). For the size of my school, he's got great funding. When I walked up to him my sophomore year with my research/thesis proposal he agreed to mentor me, and has since spent $70,000+ on my project alone (e.g. he bought me an HPLC system, a cryostat...) The guy is crazy, I don't know what I would do without him. Having said that, he has corresponding expectations. I worked my a$$ of for him :)