You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Meh university Vs. CC then ivy/top 25
Started by vancington
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
where would you be most happy?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would probably be happier with cc/top tier
my high school gpa is ****, around 2.2ish. but i have a 31 act.
my high school gpa is ****, around 2.2ish. but i have a 31 act.
I don't think you can go from CC to a ivy league/top tier easily though, you will need a lot of work. You should probably go to CC and go to a "great/good" unviersity (i.e. Michigan, Penn State, Texas, you get the general idea). Aim for the top and do the best you can and in the end it is all based upon how you did.
I would probably be happier with cc/top tier
my high school gpa is ****, around 2.2ish. but i have a 31 act.
It is very possible to go from a cc to a state school (that's what I'm doing), but just to warn you, it may be difficult to get into an ivy school from a cc without strong high-school grades. What is your rational for going to an Ivy as appose to your state school(s)?
I ought to start posting this more: http://www.theamericanscholar.org/the-disadvantages-of-an-elite-education/
I ought to start posting this more: http://www.theamericanscholar.org/the-disadvantages-of-an-elite-education/
That was interesting to read. I agree, post it more.
I ought to start posting this more: http://www.theamericanscholar.org/the-disadvantages-of-an-elite-education/
good post
I'm gonna move this thread to the hSDN forum because this thread is a pre-college thread.
I ought to start posting this more: http://www.theamericanscholar.org/the-disadvantages-of-an-elite-education/
Gotta agree; good post.
Seems like it'd be tough for you to get into the Ivy schools, and what makes you think that you'd be happier there? Because it's an Ivy? From experience, "meh" aka state universities are pretty awesome. And they really don't affect your chances at grad school. They are a lot cheaper and you'll meet a lot more diverse people. My deciding factor for undergrad was money. I could go to a state school which was cheap or go into debt for a name. Not worth it to me.
.
Last edited:
,
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
.
Last edited:
I don't think you can go from CC to a ivy league/top tier easily though, you will need a lot of work. You should probably go to CC and go to a "great/good" unviersity (i.e. Michigan, Penn State, Texas, you get the general idea). Aim for the top and do the best you can and in the end it is all based upon how you did.
A girl who I've known since freshman year of high school (I am a college senior now) transferred from a community college to Northwestern.
Another high school friend, who had mediocre high school grades for his first three years of high school, completely "got his act together" senior year of high school, took AP physics and calculus, got either 4's or 5's on them, went to the same community college mentioned earlier and transferred to Northwestern after only 1 year.
Community colleges are like a second chance. You have a fresh start to prove yourself. All you have to do is work hard and you can make it. I will say that it will not be a walk in the park, but if you have a passion, you can do it.
Unless your parents are rich, go to an in-state university. You can brand yourself at med school if you so desire, or, more importantly, during residency.
whoa Quantum Mecha how many times did you click to submit reply button...
It froze every time I pressed "submit reply", so I didn't know if it posted or not...I even refreshed the page to check.....
Because it's an Ivy?
The ivy only refers to sports apparently. I'm not so impressed anymore, you can get just as good an education elsewhere and not everyone from ivy schools are geniouses.........far from it.
To the OP: Your best bet is to do well in CC and transfer to a solid state school. Transferring into an Ivy is next to impossible, particularly if you are not a top-tier candidate with all of the necessary grades, awards, etc.
I had my choice of programs, and decided on a non-Ivy, based mostly on fit and culture. I actually inquired to a board member (who interviewed me) at my top Ivy about transferring after a semester in case my experience wasn't what I expected, and I was told that it was possible, but highly improbable....even though I had been accepted and declined.
In regard to the general topic......one of the biggest mistakes students make when they look at colleges is they focus on ranking and not FIT. I admittedly did much the same when I first considered undergraduate training, but once I started visiting colleges/universities on my list, it became much more apparent that I actually had to live at these places, and not just have their shiny brochures on my desk and their name on my CV. Networking is probably the best reason to attend an Ivy, but the education does not come without some tradeoffs.
An Ivy league education can be a great experience, but it is also very.....different. I'd strongly suggest that people evaluate their educational choices by visiting the campuses and experiencing the culture, because you will have to live with your choice for at least 4 years.
I had my choice of programs, and decided on a non-Ivy, based mostly on fit and culture. I actually inquired to a board member (who interviewed me) at my top Ivy about transferring after a semester in case my experience wasn't what I expected, and I was told that it was possible, but highly improbable....even though I had been accepted and declined.
In regard to the general topic......one of the biggest mistakes students make when they look at colleges is they focus on ranking and not FIT. I admittedly did much the same when I first considered undergraduate training, but once I started visiting colleges/universities on my list, it became much more apparent that I actually had to live at these places, and not just have their shiny brochures on my desk and their name on my CV. Networking is probably the best reason to attend an Ivy, but the education does not come without some tradeoffs.
An Ivy league education can be a great experience, but it is also very.....different. I'd strongly suggest that people evaluate their educational choices by visiting the campuses and experiencing the culture, because you will have to live with your choice for at least 4 years.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 2K