Meharry and Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFeelgoodMD

below is a TRUE avatar...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that these colleges are historically black medical universities. I was wondering what percentage of students are of other races (white, latino, indian, etc.) and if they treat them the same way as their black applicants.

Thanks,

J

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that candidates of other races are looked upon favorably at many traditionally black colleges/universities -- for the sake of diversity in the student body. For actual numbers, you should visit the program websites or even consider requesting the info from the school if it's not there.

thanks for the reply!

Any one else want to give their take on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not sure about those schools specifically, but when I interviewed at Morehouse, I swear it seemed like half of the class was non-black.

*Im also sure that non-black applicants that want to go to these schools for reasons such as the family like environment and supportive atmosphere are looked at in a better light than those that are chosing it as a safety school. And trust me, they will try to find out.

I have an interview at Meharry and I am caucasion. It is definitely a place I would like to attend. I look beyond it being a HBUC and look at it for what it offers me.

I am caucasian, applied very early to Howard, and have not received an interview. So I think just because you are white, and they are looking for diversity, does not gurantee anything. I think they are definitely looking for a specific type of person who would fit in well with their class. Good luck.

Here's the break down of MATRICULANTS from 2004 AAMC publication of minorities in medical education (its in a humungous PDF and the numbers are very blurry when blown up on the computer so it was hard to read, but here it is):

Female 61 (57%)
Male 46 (43%)

Hispanic 8 (7.5%)
East/Southeast Asian 3 (2.8%)
South Asian 1 (0.9%)
Black 75 (70.1%)
Native American 2 (1.9%)
Native Hawaiian 0
White 3 (2.8%)
Other 0
Unknown 0
Foreign 14 (13.1%)

1. Remember, this is only for the class of 2004.
2. No, I don't know what "foreign" entails, thats just what was published.
3. Before someone points out that the break down by gender adds up to 107 while the numbers by race/ethnicity add up to 106, I know, this is off. I think it's either a typo in the publication or error in reading the blurred numbers on my part. This is also why the calculated percentages add up to just under 100%.
4. There is also a chart that shows number of APPLICANTS broken down by the above criteria, but you can strain your eyes if you are that interested.

sscooterguy

beponychick said:
I am caucasian, applied very early to Howard, and have not received an interview. So I think just because you are white, and they are looking for diversity, does not gurantee anything. I think they are definitely looking for a specific type of person who would fit in well with their class. Good luck.

I agree with this 100%. I do not think it was my grades that got me an interview. THat is not to say my grades are not good but it was my interests and the way I follow through with my interests in my EC's. I am convinced.

Howard takes REALLY long to get back to students URM or not