Meharry dental!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keliao

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me more about Meharry?
how is the dental program at Meharry? pros/cons.?

Any Dental student currently attending to Meharry who can help me iwth my questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pro: If you're a URM (hispanic/african american/american indian/pacific islander) who feels that your stats may be below average then it is definitely worth applying to.

Con: If you're caucasian/asian/indian then, statistically, you have very little chance of getting in. Also, you should do some research into their retention and board passing percentages.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed at UT-Memphis, a few of the D-4 students said that Meharry has horrible board passing rates since several Meharry dental students had to take extra classes at UT to help them pass.

When I interviewed at UT-Memphis, a few of the D-4 students said that Meharry has horrible board passing rates since several Meharry dental students had to take extra classes at UT to help them pass.
so lets say if you only get into Meharry...would you take it or would you rather reapply for next cycle and see what hapns?
worth the wait huh?

so lets say if you only get into Meharry...would you take it or would you rather reapply for next cycle and see what hapns?
worth the wait huh?

Whether or not YOU pass the boards depends on YOUR effort. You are responsible for learning the necessary information. Why would you postpone your career for another year? That's one less year of your life that you will have to make a dentist's six-figure income. Just my opinion...

riiight....why would u even apply to meharry if your gonna take a year off and see where u can go next cycle...doesnt that seem like waste of money, your time, and theirs...meharry isnt a bad school they just select people that will go back to the underserved communities bc lets face it people harvard case usc etc...they arnt gonna go to the underserved communities to work there...in fact the surgeon general for bill clinton was the president of meharry medical school....ne1 knew that?

If Meharry was the only school I was accepted to this year, I'd definitely go without a second thought. I've already taken a year off from undergrad so I'm ready to jump back in and get started toward my career.

It depends on you. If you don't think that you can succeed at Meharry or that its not the right fit for you then don't go. Don't risk it if you're going to be miserable for the next four years and end up dropping out. That'd be a huge waste of time and money.

wow according to their website they only accept 50 people a year
weirddd

Pro: If you're a URM (hispanic/african american/american indian/pacific islander) who feels that your stats may be below average then it is definitely worth applying to.

Con: If you're caucasian/asian/indian then, statistically, you have very little chance of getting in. Also, you should do some research into their retention and board passing percentages.

What if you are a white African (Afrikaner)?

Ps. Afrikaners are descendants of mostly Dutch but also many French and German people who travelled to and settled in what is now called South Africa in the 16/17 hundreds...

Ps. Afrikaners are descendants of mostly Dutch but also many French and German people who travelled to and settled in what is now called South Africa in the 16/17 hundreds...

We all are from Africa originally, one way or another. You are out of luck with Meharry if you are white though.

Lol. No.

Still it'd be interesting to see them to unveil the criteria by which they decide whether I am an African-American or not. I have a scientific proof that at least at one point of history ALL ancestors of mine were African, and I do have a US citizenship.
Therefore, I am an African-American. I'd take them to court to prove me wrong if I had time. Just think about potential profits from youtube videos with adsense inlay

Still it'd be interesting to see them to unveil the criteria by which they decide whether I am an African-American or not. I have a scientific proof that at least at one point of history ALL ancestors of mine were African, and I do have a US citizenship.
Therefore, I am an African-American. I'd take them to court to prove me wrong if I had time. Just think about potential profits from youtube videos with adsense inlay

Well, I have dual citizenship. Does that count for anything? I don't understand what my skin color has to do with it. I still came here with nothing...

There is a huge shortage of African-American health care workers in America.

Meharry dental school was open to address the needs for the under-representation of African-American dentists. There are many people in the inner cities of America that do not have access to dental care. Because of the low reimbursement of Medicaid/Medicare, many dentists don't accept it. This means the poorest people who have government health insurance cannot even find dentists to treat their teeth.

If you want to work in an under-served area, then Meharry is for you. And to recruit people who want to work in under-served areas? Well, the students who attend Meharry usually comes from the slums themselves. They understand the demographic better than someone who didn't come from the slums. These students are usually African-American.

I know an Asian applicant who got into Meharry, but he grew up the in the slums, and his entire personal statement was about how he would expand access to Medicaid/Medicare patients in the slums.

If you're from Canada, you'll most likely go back to Canada after you're finished dental school. So why would they think you'll stay in America and work in the slums the rest of your life?

Hello to all! I have been following your posts regarding Meharry dental school I just got accepted and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on your experience at Meharry dental. Where would you reccommend living, purchasing school equipment and any advise I would soooo much appreciate it.:scared: Thank you for your help!