Meharry MHS 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you received notification that you will be considered for the MHS program at Meharry?

• NO, I am not being considered for the MHS program.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

longroad2here

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for people who have received notification that they will be considered for the MHS program for 2015 at Meharry Medical College. Let's use this thread to keep in touch with each other and up to date.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So your letter said late May? Those of us who did not receive a regular MD interview who are being considered for the MHS program were told early April, but that's probably because we still have to be interviewed whereas people in your situation have interviewed already. I'm hoping for the best as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like because they said "Early April" all the days are going by soooo slow!

Maybe this week will be the week for great news. If anyone hears anything or is brave enough to call and inquire, please let us know. Have a fantastic week everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe this week will be the week for great news. If anyone hears anything or is brave enough to call and inquire, please let us know. Have a fantastic week everyone.

I am hoping so too!! I mean technically next week would be considered the middle of April lol! I am planning on calling Wednesday or Thursday if I haven't heard anything by then !! Cross fingers everyone!

Hey guys. I am also being considered for the MHS program and when I called they said that the current program isn't finished until April 24th. I don't know if they will start selecting people for interviews before then.

Hey guys. I am also being considered for the MHS program and when I called they said that the current program isn't finished until April 24th. I don't know if they will start selecting people for interviews before then.
I don't think they will from what I was told as well. Pretty much the end of the month seems to be the projected schedule.

So I called earlier and the lady that answered said the committee is still going through applications to see who they are going to chose for interviews but I should "hear something back soon". So hopefully by the end of th week...

I received an invitation for an interview on April 20th. Has anyone else received this or knows what to expect during the interview?

Reactions: 3 users
I received an invitation for an interview on April 20th. Has anyone else received this or knows what to expect during the interview?
Oh wow. That's awesome. Congrats! When did you get your interview invitation?

That is great!!! When did you get your invitation? This gives me hope that they are making some moves!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow. That's awesome. Congrats! When did you get your interview invitation?
I got an email yesterday along the lines of:

Dear Applicant:

It is my pleasure to inform you that your application credentials were presented to the School of Medicine Admissions Committee and on behalf of the Committee, I extend an invitation to you for an on-campus interview at Meharry Medical College for the Master of Health Sciences (MHS) Degree Program on April 20nd, 2015. Once confirmed, we will send you additional information for travel and hotel accommodations.

Reactions: 6 users
I got an email yesterday along the lines of:

Dear Applicant:

It is my pleasure to inform you that your application credentials were presented to the School of Medicine Admissions Committee and on behalf of the Committee, I extend an invitation to you for an on-campus interview at Meharry Medical College for the Master of Health Sciences (MHS) Degree Program on April 20nd, 2015. Once confirmed, we will send you additional information for travel and hotel accommodations.

Congrats

I called today and was told that the first group of MHS candidates interviewed today and the next group would be there Wednesday. They don't know if the committee will be extending more interviews. We just have to wait.

How many groups are they planning to interview? Is it just Monday and Wednesday?

Hi everyone! New here! But my friend had an interview for this program on Wednesday and he said there were 15 people there. He also informed me that they told them that it was the last day for interviews...

Hi everyone! New here! But my friend had an interview for this program on Wednesday and he said there were 15 people there. He also informed me that they told them that it was the last day for interviews...
Are you also being considered for the MHS program...or just your friend?

That seems like a pretty quick turnaround. Only two interview days ??

Good luck to you all. I'm applying to other one-year master's as well. AAMC has a good database of these programs if you're interested.
I applied to the Drexel one...so we will see!, and am on 2 DO waitlists and still have to here from one of my State MD schools post interview...hopefully one of these options will work out! Good luck to you too!

I applied to the Drexel one...so we will see!, and am on 2 DO waitlists and still have to here from one of my State MD schools post interview...hopefully one of these options will work out! Good luck to you too!
Me too. Hopefully Drexel has good news. If not, I've applied to some Masters programs.

@longroad2here and @Lolo91 are these other masters where a good percentage of students have matriculated into their med schools the following year? (assuming these masters are at universities that have med schools too)

Not sure about percentage, but I know that UAB (my undergrad) has a good one if you're in AL but he deadline is tomorrow. Also, Indiana University Pre-professional Master's in Cellular & Integrative Physiology; their brochure states "Over the last 20 years the acceptance rate of our graduates into medical or professional schools ranges from 55-87% for students who earn a grade of B or better in all courses". I think John Hopkins and George Washington have good linkage, but are pricey. Check out https://services.aamc.org/postbac/index.cfm
thanks for the list...I'll check them out and see if thy are a good fit!

MCAT prep is not a part of the program. However, I can say that your Bio scores will most likely improve. The program is extremely challenging and will allow you to learn at the Medical school level. The price of the degree is relatively low in comparison to other programs of this type. This program does not have cohorts because you are allowed to take the courses in the order you choose. However, Dr. Baldwin (program director) will make recommendations based on your previous education. Although the program is not directly linked to a medical school, year after year students from this program are accepted all over the country.

MCAT prep is not a part of the program. However, I can say that your Bio scores will most likely improve. The program is extremely challenging and will allow you to learn at the Medical school level. The price of the degree is relatively low in comparison to other programs of this type. This program does not have cohorts because you are allowed to take the courses in the order you choose. However, Dr. Baldwin (program director) will make recommendations based on your previous education. Although the program is not directly linked to a medical school, year after year students from this program are accepted all over the country.
I've applied to this program and 3 other Masters/graduate programs, so we'll see!

Anyone called lately or heard anything?

Wait listed on Friday, Accepted this morning! Praise God!!!

Hi everyone!
I recently completed the MHS program this past cycle at Meharry so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Hi everyone!
I recently completed the MHS program this past cycle at Meharry so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Do you know what the new requirements will be since the mcat is changing?
Is the initial summer program just mcat prep? And is that optional?

Hi everyone!
Does the program guarantees acceptance if you meet a certain requirement? If so what are the gpa and test score requirements? I'm dental though.

Do you know what the new requirements will be since the mcat is changing?
Is the initial summer program just mcat prep? And is that optional?

Sorry I don't know the new requirements because of the changed MCAT.

In regards to the summer program though it pretty much is a crash course. We had org/gen chem, bio, physics, and verbal and received Kaplan prep books as our text books. Although some of my classmates started in the Fall term I suggest going in the summer regardless if you met the requirement or not. The reasons being that you will have met all your classmates and group studying was a big part of the program for me. So as a result I was able to already have decided who I thought would be good study buddies. In addition summer students received stipends and had their Fall semester books paid for so we didn't have to pay out of pocket. (I don't know if they will do it again but those are just some of the perks).

Does the program guarantees acceptance if you meet a certain requirement? If so what are the gpa and test score requirements? I'm dental though.

Yes, if you meet the requirements of which ever school your entering, the program does guarantee acceptance. For dental students this past year the gpa was a 3.0 and a 17 on the DAT. However, keep in mind they do look at others aspects i.e professionalism, but these other things can easily be done.

Sorry I don't know the new requirements because of the changed MCAT.

In regards to the summer program though it pretty much is a crash course. We had org/gen chem, bio, physics, and verbal and received Kaplan prep books as our text books. Although some of my classmates started in the Fall term I suggest going in the summer regardless if you met the requirement or not. The reasons being that you will have met all your classmates and group studying was a big part of the program for me. So as a result I was able to already have decided who I thought would be good study buddies. In addition summer students received stipends and had their Fall semester books paid for so we didn't have to pay out of pocket. (I don't know if they will do it again but those are just some of the perks).
Do you think the program really helped and further prepared you?
And did mostly everyone get into the medical or dental school?

Do you think the program really helped and further prepared you?
And did mostly everyone get into the medical or dental school?

Overall yes I learned a TON some of it being getting a better grasp of a concept I thought I knew but most of it new information. According to some upcoming 2nd and 3rd year meds/dents. that went through MHS, the program cirrocumuli is very similar to the classes you will take during your first year. (especially since some are taught by the same professors). So that is a great advantage when first year comes because you will already been exposed to the material.

And everyone who met the requirements got an acceptance letter. Some of my classmates have decided to attend other schools based on convenience and tuition but majority of us will be returning come end of June.

Overall yes I learned a TON some of it being getting a better grasp of a concept I thought I knew but most of it new information. According to some upcoming 2nd and 3rd year meds/dents. that went through MHS, the program cirrocumuli is very similar to the classes you will take during your first year. (especially since some are taught by the same professors). So that is a great advantage when first year comes because you will already been exposed to the material.

And everyone who met the requirements got an acceptance letter. Some of my classmates have decided to attend other schools based on convenience and tuition but majority of us will be returning come end of June.

For a Meharry MHS student, What are some good housing options in or around Nashville?

For a Meharry MHS student, What are some good housing options in or around Nashville?

I'm honestly not too familiar with housing since I lived on campus. But I know a lot of my classmates and other Meharry students live in the bellevue area which is about 15 minutes from campus via the highway and of course dependent on traffic. (Bellevue apartments, The Lexington Apts, Grande View Apts. but really this area in general). One other place I heard of was Landmark @ Glenview Reserve.

Sorry I'm not able to be more helpful.

Hello, just wanted to let everyone know who has been accepted to the new Masters of Health Science program at Meharry to please join the group on Facebook.

The group name is under Meharry MHS Program '15.

(copied the 2012 version to make it easier lol)