Meherry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSade469

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone on this site has been trashing Meherry, but why is this such a bad school to go to? (is there such a thing?) Also has anyone been accepted to this school, or have interviewed there? Tell me the scoop .. PLEASE!!!

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

CSade469 said:
I know everyone on this site has been trashing Meherry, but why is this such a bad school to go to? (is there such a thing?) Also has anyone been accepted to this school, or have interviewed there? Tell me the scoop .. PLEASE!!!

Thanks...
Hi, this going to be my first post on this awesome forum that I can't believe I haven't found earlier. Anyways, I'm not sure why they're such a poorly reputed dental school but I can tell you that they aren't very selective based on their 2003 admissions stats: LINK
Mean GPA for their school is 3.0, mean DAT is 15.81. Overall, not very selective as you can see. :p

Gl4di4tor said:
Hi, this going to be my first post on this awesome forum that I can't believe I haven't found earlier. Anyways, I'm not sure why they're such a poorly reputed dental school but I can tell you that they aren't very selective based on their 2003 admissions stats: LINK
Mean GPA for their school is 3.0, mean DAT is 15.81. Overall, not very selective as you can see. :p

So your saying that they are assuming its a crappy school based on stat's? Does anyone else know why its said to be a supposely, "bad," school to go to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gl4di4tor said:

So your saying that they are assuming its a crappy school based on stat's? Does anyone else know why its said to be a supposely, "bad," school to go to?

CSade469 said:
Actually, I dont know if thats the reason or not, I didnt even know it was a bad school, I just know that they have one of the lowest minimum gpa requirements.

Gl4di4tor said:
Actually, I dont know if thats the reason or not, I didnt even know it was a bad school, I just know that they have one of the lowest minimum gpa requirements.

First of all....Gl4di4tor, welcome to SDN. Second of all to the OP, "Meherry" is actually spelled Meharry.

Meharry is a minority school that has the focus of adding diversity to the field and turning out dentists that will likely work in underserved areas. That is most likely why it has lower stats..........they don't really care if you are the cream of the crop or not, they just want to applicants that will serve the under-served. I hope this helps

geckel said:
First of all....Gl4di4tor, welcome to SDN. Second of all to the OP, "Meherry" is actually spelled Meharry.

Meharry is a minority school that has the focus of adding diversity to the field and turning out dentists that will likely work in underserved areas. That is most likely why it has lower stats..........they don't really care if you are the cream of the crop or not, they just want to applicants that will serve the under-served. I hope this helps

Thanks Geckel for the warm welcome, I believe Howard University also has a similar philosophy as Meharry, am I correct?

Gl4di4tor said:
Thanks Geckel for the warm welcome, I believe Howard University also has a similar philosophy as Meharry, am I correct?

Yep....Howard is also a minority school like Meharry. I don't know much about either school but I do know a little about Meharry because it is located in my state, Tennessee.

geckel said:
Yep....Howard is also a minority school like Meharry. I don't know much about either school but I do know a little about Meharry because it is located in my state, Tennessee.

So what about the facilities? Is Tennessee a bad place to live? do you live near the school? details please... :confused:

CSade469 said:

Thanks...

Hey, I interviewed and was accepted there early December. I actually was somewhat skeptical about the school before I arrived, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was more impressed by the school and faculty than I thought I would be. Despite having such low admission standards, the school most definately produces qualified and competent dentists. BTW, I am not African American.

CSade469 said:
So what about the facilities? Is Tennessee a bad place to live? do you live near the school? details please... :confused:

The school and facilities are old. There is no doubt about it. One plus though is that I think Meharry is one of the cheapest private schools in the nation, if not the cheapest. Nashville is a great place to live and great college city. I went to Vanderbilt so Meharry is only a few minutes down the road, but it is in a considerably worse area. I personally would not live immediately close to the school. Also, because Meharry is the only dental school in Nashville, I am pretty sure they have a decent size patient pool.

CSade469 said:

Thanks...

Hey I have no respect for this school whatever. I got a rejection letter from them that basically said that I was not black therefore not a good match for their school.

I bout fell out of my chair when I read it.

Can they say that........?

Hot pickle baby said:
Hey I have no respect for this school whatever. I got a rejection letter from them that basically said that I was not black therefore not a good match for their school.

Well, like to disagree with you. They don't reject you just becasue you are african american. I got an invite there few days ago and will not go and I am not a minority. As far as I can tell, if you are not a minority you need to have lots of volunteering and community services which many of their students have done. There are a quite a number of people who have gotten into Howard and Meharry even if they were not minority. This schools is looking for something specific and you just happened to not have it. Yes I would I agree with you that they highly favor the Minority applicants but if you have a dedicated community service they will give you a chance even if you are not a minority.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mustt Mustt said:
Well, like to disagree with you. They don't reject you just becasue you are african american. I got an invite there few days ago and will not go and I am not a minority. As far as I can tell, if you are not a minority you need to have lots of volunteering and community services which many of their students have done. There are a quite a number of people who have gotten into Howard and Meharry even if they were not minority. This schools is looking for something specific and you just happened to not have it. Yes I would I agree with you that they highly favor the Minority applicants but if you have a dedicated community service they will give you a chance even if you are not a minority.
I had over 300 hours of shadowing and started a non-profit organization within my community for battered women when I was younger.

They rejected me because I am white, plain and simple!

Hot pickle baby said:
I had over 300 hours of shadowing and started a non-profit organization within my community for battered women when I was younger.

Whether they rejected you b/c you are white or not doesn't matter. They are a private school, which quite simply translates to "They get to make up their own rules as to who they want to accept or reject for whatever reason." This is protected by law. They state that they are a minority school. Thus, one shouldn't be surprised if they make it more challenging for those applicants who are not minorities to get in. After all, the school is intented to facilitate room for those who of a minority group.

Mr.E said:
Whether they rejected you b/c you are white or not doesn't matter. They are a private school, which quite simply translates to "They get to make up their own rules as to who they want to accept or reject for whatever reason." This is protected by law. They state that they are a minority school. Thus, one shouldn't be surprised if they make it more challenging for those applicants who are not minorities to get in. After all, the school is intented to facilitate room for those who of a minority group.

Yep. Next time tell me something I don't know. :mad:

Hot pickle baby said:

You got rejected from them because you were not qualified enough for their school, plain and simple! Don't trash talk a school you know nothing about. I interviewed and was accepted there and I am NOT black. However, I was heavily involved in many service organizations throughout school and also probably had a higher gpa and DAT than you. Just a little note to you who knows absolutely nothing...on the day of my interview, there was nine people, only two of whom were African American.

Hot pickle baby said:

Don't you wish that was the case!! I am a white boy from Utah of all places and they have given me an interview. It is true that they look for kids with real intentions to serve the underserved. That is one of the things that got me an interview there, was simply my service hours and were I performed them. I have not only served in the past but continue to do tons of community service currently and have done it for years. It is not because you're white. And I don't think they would want anyone who reacts like you have over not being accepted.

Truedat said:
Don't you wish that was the case!! I am a white boy from Utah of all places and they have given me an interview. It is true that they look for kids with real intentions to serve the underserved. That is one of the things that got me an interview there, was simply my service hours and were I performed them. I have not only served in the past but continue to do tons of community service currently and have done it for years. It is not because you're white. And I don't think they would want anyone who reacts like you have over not being accepted.

WHAT KIND OF SERVICE PROJECTS HAVE YOU DONE?

jvas103 said:
WHAT KIND OF SERVICE PROJECTS HAVE YOU DONE?

I interpret for Hispanic americans at a local childrens hospital several hours a week. I am a director of youth basketball club. The club is for kids that can't make Jr. high or High school teams and they just want to play and have fun so there is a league that we coach ref and run so they can play competitive bball for free and with players their own talent level (Major run on sentence). I tutor down at a local high school in an afternoon program one to four hours a week depending on the attendence of the program. What else do I do.......I voluntarily teach a sunday school class kind of a bible history class and morals and such every sunday. Ohh this last one was by pure luck I am a cofounder of an indepent organization called reach schools WWW.reachschools .org. Which in one of my classes last semester we formed this organization to help support students and school districts devastated by Hurricane Katrina.
Your school probably has a ton of different service projects just check your service center. Thats how I found a couple of mine which ended up being really cool.
One last one is called sealants for smiles which students can go assist a dentist who has donated his time to do probono dental work. This was super cool cause we just do extractions all the time and its tite to help them out. But like I said you find tons of stuff at your school service center

CSade469 said:

Thanks...

I applied there. I was a great candidate because of my desire to work in a rural area after graduation. I feel 100% that I did not get accepted because of my skin color. 100%. This was evident from the interview and following rejection letter.

zacharydent said:
I applied there. I was a great candidate because of my desire to work in a rural area after graduation. I feel 100% that I did not get accepted because of my skin color. 100%. This was evident from the interview and following rejection letter.

You probably did not convince them enough that you wanted to help the underserved or seem really enthusiastic about attending Meharry. They told me that they only interview 300 people. I heard the majority get in. I imagine quite a few people turn down Meharry if accepted elsewhere. The hardest part is getting the interview. If you got rejected after interview, you must have had a pretty bad interview. As long as you do well on the interview, you should get in.

Hot pickle baby said:

DUDE just be glad you got into dental school with your low stats

Hot pickle baby said:

DUDE just be glad you got into a dental school with your low stats

Hot pickle baby said:

Ok most of you have not interviewed, or either dont know the history behinde Meharry Medical College, although a HBCU is was founded by "WHITE MEN" I repeat "WHITE MEN" it is a very good, if not great college, and I was rejected by them last year, but their staff and alumni are up there with some of the greatest. Lets check our stats before talking, I think a lot of people are misinformed!

I think Nashville is awesome, the area reminds me of Austin, TX. When I went for the interview the weather was stunning man. That was my first impression. The school itself is pretty decent but nothing to say "WOW" over besides the attractive campus. Next, Meharry's faculty and students were the most helpful and friendly I've ever met. Truly genuine people and I think thats what they look for in their students. The town is full of intellects.

If you didnt make it into ANY school.. dont look at that school in hate and disrespect and don't jump to conclusions either... all I have to say is that you have to look at yourself. Maybe you screwed up the interview? I know guys with 4.0 GPAs and 30+ on MCAT scores and just simply screwed the interview. Plenty of guys come in thinking they are a shoe in and come off as being a pompous schmuck. not saying you are, but if they didn't choose you its for a good reason (otherwise you wouldn't have received a letter to interview in the first place). I had to send a picture of myself so they knew exactly what i looked like so i don't believe race played a card here (i'm not black).