Melbourne Clinic + 291 assessment question

Started by Ceke2002
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ceke2002

Purveyor of Strange
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Melbourne Clinic in Melbourne, Australia (obviously). General advice seeking only (please do not ask me any symptom or medical related questions, I will not be able to answer)

Anyone in Victoria or Australia in general know anything about the Melbourne Clinic? Are they legit, do they do a proper job with ADHD assessments? I don't really trust patient reviews, so I thought I'd ask here. I've already checked the 'Find a Psych' search on RANZCP's site and some of the suggested Psychiatrists seem to work out of the Melbourne Clinic, so I'm assuming that's a good sign?

Also if anyone can confirm - 291 assessments for ADHD, are they only if you're going the medication route? Like if I wanted non medication treatment that would be under a different Medicare number?

This wasn't exactly on my 2026 bingo card, but here we are.
 
Not familiar with them. But I look at when and where they trained and how they stay current. I do find some predictive value with LinkedIn profiles. Such as if they are actively involved with other credible parties. If they can shed light on their approach, maybe cross check with evidence based practice. And also gut sense. If something feels off or not fully sincere, it is probably true. If someone feels extremely drawn into it, that’s a warning sign as well. It should feel like a scientific collaboration.
 
The Melbourne Clinic is fine as an institution, I believe they have the largest number of private psychiatrists in Victoria. I have never worked there, but have occasionally referred patients for inpatient care and second opinions. There’s a few people there who would rate highly regarding OCD and neuropsychiatry. They bill on the higher side, but they do charge their doctors the highest room rents in the state. Then again, some years back a patient of mine went there for an ADHD/addiction second opinion and was bulk billed by a professor.

But it’s hard to say what a proper job regarding ADHD assessments is nowadays.

When I qualified (> 10 years ago now), the expectation was that every mental health condition including ADHD could be diagnosed in a single one hour session (Item 296). 291 assessments were reserved for situations where care could be handed back to the referring GP for 12 months, which were mainly relatively straightforward cases like depression where we could recommend a trial of 2-3 different antidepressants or augmentation strategies that the GP could trial. ADHD didn’t tend to fit this as easily, as it was very difficult finding a GP who would be agreeable to initiate stimulants and go through the rigmarole to get a government permit.

Since then ADHD has somehow morphed into something requiring 3-4 sessions before treatment can be commenced, requiring numerous investigations, rating scales, collateral and expensive feedback sessions. There is one psychiatrist near me charging $4770 for 4 sessions!

When I first heard about this practice style, my personal feeling was that this was only going to be viable for new (and inexperienced) private psychiatrists who had the booking space to accommodate multiple sessions. I also noted it was happily adopted by psychiatrists with predatory pricing models (see above) as well as some who had been around for a while and well known for being substandard. There was one who started demanded 4x 1 hourly sessions in a month (even for those diagnosed in childhood coming out of paediatric care), was the subject of frequent complaints for promoting various conspiracies and placed a lot of emphasis on observations made from viewing patients in their waiting room via CCTV.

If a psychiatrist in Australia can see you very quickly for ADHD (i.e. under a month) without a cancellation list, they’re likely to be new, ADHD assessment mills or just **** because they’ve never been able to build up a cohort of patients who want to see them. You’ll pay a lot of money and get a generic treatment template with all the stimulants but you’ll have to find a GP who is happy to start you on treatment. Great if you want meds and little scrutiny, but you’ll have to pay to be reassessed every 2 years.

Now if you only want to explore non-medication treatment for ADHD, you don’t really have to see a psychiatrist at all. You can go down the ADHD lifecoach route, which doesn’t require any referrals although there are a lot of people in this space now so quality can be variable. There are some psychologists who have an interest in managing ADHD, and you can get a GP referral to see them. But what you have to avoid is anyone charging for expensive multi session psychology assessments for ADHD. A lot of the psychologists offering these are chasing the dollar and aren’t interested in providing long term assistance. These assessments usually won’t be accepted by a psychiatrist if you want to go down the medication route later on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much for the replies. I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner I've only just seen them. It's 1.30 am here at the moment, so I will do proper responses a bit later, but thank you again, I really appreciate it.
 
Not familiar with them. But I look at when and where they trained and how they stay current. I do find some predictive value with LinkedIn profiles. Such as if they are actively involved with other credible parties. If they can shed light on their approach, maybe cross check with evidence based practice. And also gut sense. If something feels off or not fully sincere, it is probably true. If someone feels extremely drawn into it, that’s a warning sign as well. It should feel like a scientific collaboration.

Thank you. This is really good advice.
 
The Melbourne Clinic is fine as an institution, I believe they have the largest number of private psychiatrists in Victoria. I have never worked there, but have occasionally referred patients for inpatient care and second opinions. There’s a few people there who would rate highly regarding OCD and neuropsychiatry. They bill on the higher side, but they do charge their doctors the highest room rents in the state. Then again, some years back a patient of mine went there for an ADHD/addiction second opinion and was bulk billed by a professor.

But it’s hard to say what a proper job regarding ADHD assessments is nowadays.

When I qualified (> 10 years ago now), the expectation was that every mental health condition including ADHD could be diagnosed in a single one hour session (Item 296). 291 assessments were reserved for situations where care could be handed back to the referring GP for 12 months, which were mainly relatively straightforward cases like depression where we could recommend a trial of 2-3 different antidepressants or augmentation strategies that the GP could trial. ADHD didn’t tend to fit this as easily, as it was very difficult finding a GP who would be agreeable to initiate stimulants and go through the rigmarole to get a government permit.

Since then ADHD has somehow morphed into something requiring 3-4 sessions before treatment can be commenced, requiring numerous investigations, rating scales, collateral and expensive feedback sessions. There is one psychiatrist near me charging $4770 for 4 sessions!

When I first heard about this practice style, my personal feeling was that this was only going to be viable for new (and inexperienced) private psychiatrists who had the booking space to accommodate multiple sessions. I also noted it was happily adopted by psychiatrists with predatory pricing models (see above) as well as some who had been around for a while and well known for being substandard. There was one who started demanded 4x 1 hourly sessions in a month (even for those diagnosed in childhood coming out of paediatric care), was the subject of frequent complaints for promoting various conspiracies and placed a lot of emphasis on observations made from viewing patients in their waiting room via CCTV.

If a psychiatrist in Australia can see you very quickly for ADHD (i.e. under a month) without a cancellation list, they’re likely to be new, ADHD assessment mills or just **** because they’ve never been able to build up a cohort of patients who want to see them. You’ll pay a lot of money and get a generic treatment template with all the stimulants but you’ll have to find a GP who is happy to start you on treatment. Great if you want meds and little scrutiny, but you’ll have to pay to be reassessed every 2 years.

Now if you only want to explore non-medication treatment for ADHD, you don’t really have to see a psychiatrist at all. You can go down the ADHD lifecoach route, which doesn’t require any referrals although there are a lot of people in this space now so quality can be variable. There are some psychologists who have an interest in managing ADHD, and you can get a GP referral to see them. But what you have to avoid is anyone charging for expensive multi session psychology assessments for ADHD. A lot of the psychologists offering these are chasing the dollar and aren’t interested in providing long term assistance. These assessments usually won’t be accepted by a psychiatrist if you want to go down the medication route later on.

Yeah the Melbourne Clinic does seem pretty pricey; I'm still keeping them on the list of possibilities but also looking for an elsewhere as well. By any chance is that $4770 guy the one who does the whole 'deep dive model', because just yeah nah that's not happening.

I am looking for possible medication treatment, just not stimulant medications. My husband did kind of blindside me with a conversation expressing concern regarding just how bad my ADHD symptoms have become recently, and it has been a bit of a wake up call that I've perhaps been a certain level of denial as to how well I actually am functioning (or not) at the present time. So I do think at the moment it's gone a bit beyond ADHD coaching and the like. Having said that my ideal scenario would be short term non stimulant medication so I can actually engage in stuff like therapy and coaching, and then stop the meds once things are hopefully back on track. Obviously I'd be letting a professional guide and advise me on that sort of a decision though.

Going forward from here though my initial plan is to discuss things with my GP first, and look into non ADHD treatment stuff like HRT to see if getting menopause hormones back in line will hopefully allow me to regain some level of brain energy to be able to utilise my usual management strategies (without having to get Psychiatrists and potential other medications involved). Also obviously looking at things like stress management, and the like.

Your insights have been a huge help as well, so thank you.
 
Now if you only want to explore non-medication treatment for ADHD, you don’t really have to see a psychiatrist at all. You can go down the ADHD lifecoach route, which doesn’t require any referrals although there are a lot of people in this space now so quality can be variable. There are some psychologists who have an interest in managing ADHD, and you can get a GP referral to see them. But what you have to avoid is anyone charging for expensive multi session psychology assessments for ADHD. A lot of the psychologists offering these are chasing the dollar and aren’t interested in providing long term assistance. These assessments usually won’t be accepted by a psychiatrist if you want to go down the medication route later on.
Perhaps a moderator could discuss when treatment recommendations or advice became permissible on these forums. It is a liability issue that I know SDN did not want to deal with in the past. If ceke took this advice of going the non medication route as per above, and it ended up being a mood issue, as opposed to ADHD (liquid8 does NOT know what her diagnosis is), and a bad outcome occurred (hospitalization, suicide, etc), this would be a potential lawsuit. I know for sure that if a loved one of mine received psychiatric advice on a forum like this and a bad outcome occurred, I would seek appropriate recompense.

I also want to point out that I alerted the moderator team to this thread before there were any replies, and no action was taken.
 
Perhaps a moderator could discuss when treatment recommendations or advice became permissible on these forums. It is a liability issue that I know SDN did not want to deal with in the past. If ceke took this advice of going the non medication route as per above, and it ended up being a mood issue, as opposed to ADHD (liquid8 does NOT know what her diagnosis is), and a bad outcome occurred (hospitalization, suicide, etc), this would be a potential lawsuit. I know for sure that if a loved one of mine received psychiatric advice on a forum like this and a bad outcome occurred, I would seek appropriate recompense.

I also want to point out that I alerted the moderator team to this thread before there were any replies, and no action was taken.

Little dramatic there bud. Also you sound really ambulance chasy. lol you think any ADHD mills are appropriately assessing for mood disorders?

This seems to be a reasonable response to OPs question. Liquid8 is not suggesting or recommending that OP only seek non-medication treatment for ADHD, simply suggesting resources that OP can look into if they wanted to go that way. Also seemingly appropriately warning OP against expensive possibly unhelpful assessments.
 
Little dramatic there bud. Also you sound really ambulance chasy. lol you think any ADHD mills are appropriately assessing for mood disorders?

This seems to be a reasonable response to OPs question. Liquid8 is not suggesting or recommending that OP only seek non-medication treatment for ADHD, simply suggesting resources that OP can look into if they wanted to go that way. Also seemingly appropriately warning OP against expensive possibly unhelpful assessments.

Thank you. I certainly didn't take Liquid8's response to mean only seek non medication treatment, I had already asked about non medication treatment in relation to a 291 assessment, I just didn't make it clear that I was I talking about non stimulant medication treatment, so I think it's more than fair that Liquid8 also included advice on considering other options besides seeing a Psychiatrist. I honestly can't see anything in Liquid8's response that is giving me medical advice regarding the use of medications. And yes I was appreciative of being appropriately advised against potential expensive and unhelpful assessments, again I don't consider that giving medical advice.

I don't actually know what the comment you responded to says, but I've not detailed any of my exact symptoms, I've not asked about any specific treatments, I've not asked what anyone thinks of the non stimulant treatment options available, I've made it clear that any decisions I make will be guided by whatever medical professionals I end up seeing, I really don't see the issue. Liquid8's response was much appreciated and very helpful to me.