1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Melbourne

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by gstrub, Dec 5, 2002.

1. gstrub

gstrub Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am currently finishing up a masters degree in human genetics here in the US and have just been accepted to U. Melbourne. I am still waiting to hear from the US schools I applied to but am seriously considering Australia (I spent a semester abroad in Melbourne).

How does the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) program work (is it similar to the US MD/PHD programs)? I am applying to MD/PHD programs here and am interested in surgery; will this program be an option for me?

Does anyone know if US students can continue by doing residency/internships in Oz?

How competitive will my MBBS be in obtaining surgical residencies in the states?

If I do decide to study medicine in the US, can I do a rotation in Melbourne?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated; I fear I will have to decide between the US and Australia and really need to make the right choice.
    -Graham

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.