Got mine as well! Interesting how each station is 5 mins instead of 8... Also from reading about the process it doesn't look like we'll have 2 mins to think about the question/scenario but rather we'll have to answer as soon as they start the timer and ask the first question...? Was that your understanding as well?
Yup, that's right! It's def gonna be a long wait... Oh well, there's really nothing we can do 'til then so best of luck to everyone!Yes very approachable interviewers
I hope it went well for everyone and now it's time to sit down for the long wait since results don't come out until the end of October, I think?
Sure why not. We do have a fairly extensive discussion on UQ vs. USyd in another thread.Can we add UQ to this discussion as well?
Thanks for sharing!I like UMelbourne because I like its program where you enter clinical rotations in the second year. Being able to apply what you learn in class to a clinical setting is so important. I have heard the first year is very hard but doable since we have a background in physiology, biochem and anatomy from the prerequisites.
I've heard USyd is also starting this but because 2020 is going to be the first time they are doing this, the program isn't as established so I am a bit discouraged from it.
As for UQ, their rank isnt as high and they only start clinical rotations in the third year. And I would like to live in a big city like Melbourne or Sydney.
I think for all the schools you can do overseas electives and internship prospects and cost seem similar across all 3 areas ($$$$$ ).
All 3 schools are great but for me, UMelbourne > USyd > UQ.
adding my two cents
for me it's Umelb > UQ > USyd but my toss up is mostly between UQ and Umelb since USyd is very similar to Umelb to me in terms of rankings, cost and large urban life style.
I tried to keep things neutral because i think everyone has some personal factors that will play a role in their decisions (i.e. if they have family in a city). Please feel free to add or clarify points that i've missed.
School Pro Con Umelb
- earlier clinical exposure
- dedicated time to research in Y3 + Y4
- higher on the internship priority list (currently)
- Prestige in the name (for parents and my PI- so maybe if your into research LOL)
- Less opportunities for rotations abroad or back home
- fast paced Y1 - added stress because of the condensed curriculum ( it's med school at 2x speed)
- the most expensive program (by ~ $7000 AUD TT.TT)
- more time to learn the foundations
- so much opportunity for rotations aboard or back home (especially in the U.S)
- large cohort (more social support ) - USMLE Prep elective if you're looking dedicated time and structure
- MD Leadership program from their bushiness school (not 100% sure if this open to international students?)
- cheap rent
- rainy seasons/floods
- large cohort (might feel like a number but i feel like med school is what you make of it )
- less clinical time compared to the other two schools
- earlier clinical exposure
- more connections with international schools based on listed schools online and dedicated opportunity for rotation abroad
- flexible program (at least advertised) - foundation knowledge course to prep you for Y1
- Prestige in the name
- expensive rent
- relative internship opportunities (currently)
- new program model
- fast paced Y1
Thanks! On my online portal it is stuck on “Application Assessment in Progress”. I haven’t received any email communication. Wondering if I’m waitlisted? Or silent rejected? Hope someone can shed some light on that...yup, still waiting for the official offer package.
The email just said they would send it along soon . . .
my online portal says the same thing too, and I got the offer email. I don’t think that status has ever been updated tbh so hang in there!Thanks! On my online portal it is stuck on “Application Assessment in Progress”. I haven’t received any email communication. Wondering if I’m waitlisted? Or silent rejected? Hope someone can shed some light on that...