You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020 Melbourne Medical School Thread
Started by albno.blcksheep
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Thanks for the reminder. II just now too.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got the interview invites too! Do you guys know anything about the clinical school preferences?
I heard that the inner east zone is the closest to downtown so I chose that one lolI got the interview invites too! Do you guys know anything about the clinical school preferences?
I know that the University of Melbourne is sending out the interview date today for people who registered. Have you guys heard anything?
No. they did say "from 22nd" so maybe we will get it laterI know that the University of Melbourne is sending out the interview date today for people who registered. Have you guys heard anything?
Not sure. I thought it they were referring to August 22 Australian time. I still haven't gotten anything...so..maybe some delay?
Note the "... from the 22 August 2019 with your interview date and time"
which suggests that it could come anytime on or after Aug 22 but not necessarily right on Aug 22, as @Bella111 was kindly pointing out.
which suggests that it could come anytime on or after Aug 22 but not necessarily right on Aug 22, as @Bella111 was kindly pointing out.
Got my Skype interview details
I got my interview details as well! Mine is on 09/10 West cost US time.
Got mine as well! Interesting how each station is 5 mins instead of 8... Also from reading about the process it doesn't look like we'll have 2 mins to think about the question/scenario but rather we'll have to answer as soon as they start the timer and ask the first question...? Was that your understanding as well?
come_along_pond
Full Member
Got mine as well! Interesting how each station is 5 mins instead of 8... Also from reading about the process it doesn't look like we'll have 2 mins to think about the question/scenario but rather we'll have to answer as soon as they start the timer and ask the first question...? Was that your understanding as well?
Yup, it looks like we're going to be asked to read the prompt + provide our answer + follow up questions all in 5mins 😵
definitely going to be a hard one given the amount of time we have
Did you guys get a follow-up email after submitting your skype details? I never got any follow-up email and now I am beginning to wonder whether my skype details went through. Plus they haven't added my on skype yet :/
No follow-ups on my end.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
come_along_pond
Full Member
This not getting any follow-up emails is making me paranoid about whether I typed my skypeID right or clicked the right button too
but interviews aren't until next week so there's still time for them to add us 🙂
but interviews aren't until next week so there's still time for them to add us 🙂
How are you guys preparing for the MMI? I haven't gotten any email or Skype follow up either....
Just got a contact request for skype. my interview is on the 11th melbourne time
My interview is also on 09/11 melbourne time. I haven't gotten a contact request....
come_along_pond
Full Member
I got a contact request sometime last night as well for an interview on the 11th.
check your e-mail, they sent out emails with their skype details just in case something went wrong with the connection.
check your e-mail, they sent out emails with their skype details just in case something went wrong with the connection.
+1I got a contact request sometime last night as well for an interview on the 11th.
check your e-mail, they sent out emails with their skype details just in case something went wrong with the connection.
Good luck everyone!!! Sending good vibes!
come_along_pond
Full Member
Today is the big day !!! Good luck to everyone as well
Hopefully, we saved the best for last 😀
Hopefully, we saved the best for last 😀
While there is definitely time pressure, I found that the interviewers were all very kind and approachable. Best of luck!
come_along_pond
Full Member
Yes very approachable interviewers 🙂
I hope it went well for everyone and now it's time to sit down for the long wait since results don't come out until the end of October, I think?
I hope it went well for everyone and now it's time to sit down for the long wait since results don't come out until the end of October, I think?
Yes very approachable interviewers 🙂
I hope it went well for everyone and now it's time to sit down for the long wait since results don't come out until the end of October, I think?
Yup, that's right! It's def gonna be a long wait... Oh well, there's really nothing we can do 'til then so best of luck to everyone!
Or, we can spend the time debating. UMelbourne vs. USydney?
I personally prefer UMelbourne...but that's just my personal preference...
Can we add UQ to this discussion as well?Or, we can spend the time debating. UMelbourne vs. USydney?
Can we add UQ to this discussion as well?
Sure why not. We do have a fairly extensive discussion on UQ vs. USyd in another thread.
If you’ve applied to and interviewed at all 3 (UQ, USyd, UMelbourne) which one is your strongest preference and why?
Consider discussing: cost, location, curriculum, internship prospects, support for electives overseas.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like UMelbourne because I like its program where you enter clinical rotations in the second year. Being able to apply what you learn in class to a clinical setting is so important. I have heard the first year is very hard but doable since we have a background in physiology, biochem and anatomy from the prerequisites.
I've heard USyd is also starting this but because 2020 is going to be the first time they are doing this, the program isn't as established so I am a bit discouraged from it.
As for UQ, their rank isnt as high and they only start clinical rotations in the third year. And I would like to live in a big city like Melbourne or Sydney.
I think for all the schools you can do overseas electives and internship prospects and cost seem similar across all 3 areas ($$$$$
).
All 3 schools are great but for me, UMelbourne > USyd > UQ.
I've heard USyd is also starting this but because 2020 is going to be the first time they are doing this, the program isn't as established so I am a bit discouraged from it.
As for UQ, their rank isnt as high and they only start clinical rotations in the third year. And I would like to live in a big city like Melbourne or Sydney.
I think for all the schools you can do overseas electives and internship prospects and cost seem similar across all 3 areas ($$$$$
All 3 schools are great but for me, UMelbourne > USyd > UQ.
I like UMelbourne because I like its program where you enter clinical rotations in the second year. Being able to apply what you learn in class to a clinical setting is so important. I have heard the first year is very hard but doable since we have a background in physiology, biochem and anatomy from the prerequisites.
I've heard USyd is also starting this but because 2020 is going to be the first time they are doing this, the program isn't as established so I am a bit discouraged from it.
As for UQ, their rank isnt as high and they only start clinical rotations in the third year. And I would like to live in a big city like Melbourne or Sydney.
I think for all the schools you can do overseas electives and internship prospects and cost seem similar across all 3 areas ($$$$$).
All 3 schools are great but for me, UMelbourne > USyd > UQ.
Thanks for sharing!
For me, USyd is at the front given their international presence and connections with med schools overseas.
Melbourne does allow you to do electives elsewhere but those generally have to be during non-teaching periods. But from what I’ve heard, the lifestyle in Melbourne (the city) is excellent it you enjoy the arts and culture scene.
come_along_pond
Full Member
adding my two cents 🙂
for me it's Umelb > UQ > USyd but my toss up is mostly between UQ and Umelb since USyd is very similar to Umelb to me in terms of rankings, cost and large urban life style.
I tried to keep things neutral because i think everyone has some personal factors that will play a role in their decisions (i.e. if they have family in a city). Please feel free to add or clarify points that i've missed.
for me it's Umelb > UQ > USyd but my toss up is mostly between UQ and Umelb since USyd is very similar to Umelb to me in terms of rankings, cost and large urban life style.
I tried to keep things neutral because i think everyone has some personal factors that will play a role in their decisions (i.e. if they have family in a city). Please feel free to add or clarify points that i've missed.
| School | Pro | Con |
| Umelb |
|
|
| UQ |
|
|
| USyd |
|
|
Last edited:
Regarding the UQ MD leadership thing, I emailed them back when I was set on UQ and they said as internationals, we cannot take the course. It was quite upsetting to me as that was a factor in me wanting to go to UQ back then.
adding my two cents 🙂
for me it's Umelb > UQ > USyd but my toss up is mostly between UQ and Umelb since USyd is very similar to Umelb to me in terms of rankings, cost and large urban life style.
I tried to keep things neutral because i think everyone has some personal factors that will play a role in their decisions (i.e. if they have family in a city). Please feel free to add or clarify points that i've missed.
School Pro Con Umelb
- earlier clinical exposure
- dedicated time to research in Y3 + Y4
- higher on the internship priority list (currently)
- Prestige in the name (for parents and my PI- so maybe if your into research LOL)
- Less opportunities for rotations abroad or back home
- fast paced Y1 - added stress because of the condensed curriculum ( it's med school at 2x speed)
- the most expensive program (by ~ $7000 AUD TT.TT)
UQ
- more time to learn the foundations
- so much opportunity for rotations aboard or back home (especially in the U.S)
- large cohort (more social support ) - USMLE Prep elective if you're looking dedicated time and structure
- MD Leadership program from their bushiness school (not 100% sure if this open to international students?)
- cheap rent
- rainy seasons/floods
- large cohort (might feel like a number but i feel like med school is what you make of it )
- less clinical time compared to the other two schools
USyd
- earlier clinical exposure
- more connections with international schools based on listed schools online and dedicated opportunity for rotation abroad
- flexible program (at least advertised) - foundation knowledge course to prep you for Y1
- Prestige in the name
- expensive rent
- relative internship opportunities (currently)
- new program model
- fast paced Y1
Did anyone hear back for Uni of melb?
Offers are supposed to be out at the end of October so we should be hearing in the next few weeksDid anyone hear back for Uni of melb?
Have anyone gotten an offer yet ? Apparently some have been sent out already?
Well, I haven't received or heard back from the school yet. Anyone else? very curious
I've received an offer . Good luck and hang in there everyone!
+1
come_along_pond
Full Member
I've received an offer . Good luck and hang in there everyone!
same here - congrats everyone 🙂
Congratulations guys for getting an acceptance letter!! Is anyone else still waiting for their offer letter?
Last edited:
come_along_pond
Full Member
Congratulations guys for getting an acceptance letter!! Is anyone else still waiting for their offer letter?
yup, still waiting for the official offer package.
The email just said they would send it along soon . . .
Thanks! On my online portal it is stuck on “Application Assessment in Progress”. I haven’t received any email communication. Wondering if I’m waitlisted? Or silent rejected? Hope someone can shed some light on that...yup, still waiting for the official offer package.
The email just said they would send it along soon . . .
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! On my online portal it is stuck on “Application Assessment in Progress”. I haven’t received any email communication. Wondering if I’m waitlisted? Or silent rejected? Hope someone can shed some light on that...
my online portal says the same thing too, and I got the offer email. I don’t think that status has ever been updated tbh so hang in there!
come_along_pond
Full Member
Just received the official offer package this morning! Good luck everyone and double check your junk folder 🙂
Received my offer package earlier this week.