memorization excercises

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrddct

carlover
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any techniques to improve on memory skills? I'd say half the time I rely on the brute force method and just stare at notes or powerpoints until I know the whole page. Probably not the most efficient method. I know we have to rely on memory alot in med school so any tips? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

nrddct said:
Are there any techniques to improve on memory skills? I'd say half the time I rely on the brute force method and just stare at notes or powerpoints until I know the whole page. Probably not the most efficient method. I know we have to rely on memory alot in med school so any tips? thanks.
make up your own mnuemonics ... they're the best. In addition to that, it really depends on what class you're talking about (biochem: draw out pathways, cross off what is inhibited and write next to it what inhibits it; micro: make charts) - it's good that you can stare at notes or powerpoints and know the whole page for the classes that do require that. I can't do that.

I've heard to start memorizing things backwards. Like the kreb cycle, etc. Makes it easier to retain for some reason?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I guess everyone at this stage has been able to work out their own methods of memoriziing. I was wondering if there's a way to prepare for the flood of information we need to know. I'm probably beingn too general but I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect the first two years.

It's like trying to drink from a fire hydrant is what I've been told.

first year - insert umbrella into anus
second year - open said umbrella
third year - close umbrella
fourth year - remove said umbrella

remember, you signed up for this and there is a light at the end of the tunnel, also countless schmoes have done this before so why shouldn't you be able to?

YOU CAN DO IT!

for things you absolutely must memorize (biochem pathways, drugs, micro stuff) I find it very helpful to write things out on an eraser board (aka dork board - paper is wasteful). Write it out at least 7 times (you'll probably memorize it by the 3rd but keep going to cement it).

Once you start writing things out you'll recognize things like "hey these letters can be rearranged and make a nice little mnemonic." then until the exam you just quickly review your mnemonic and boom you know tons of stuff and can recall GROUPS of information, it's all about chunking especially in pharm.

I write my own questions and answers to the notes from my classes and use a program called supermemo. (http://www.supermemo.com). I use it for classes that I really find that I have to memorize a lot of little facts and can not rely on an understanding of the material to perform well on tests.

Forewarning: it takes awhile to learn how to use the program, mid semester is not the time to try to figure it out.

DOctorJay said:
first year - insert umbrella into anus
second year - open said umbrella
third year - close umbrella
fourth year - remove said umbrella

remember, you signed up for this and there is a light at the end of the tunnel, also countless schmoes have done this before so why shouldn't you be able to?

YOU CAN DO IT!

for things you absolutely must memorize (biochem pathways, drugs, micro stuff) I find it very helpful to write things out on an eraser board (aka dork board - paper is wasteful). Write it out at least 7 times (you'll probably memorize it by the 3rd but keep going to cement it).

Once you start writing things out you'll recognize things like "hey these letters can be rearranged and make a nice little mnemonic." then until the exam you just quickly review your mnemonic and boom you know tons of stuff and can recall GROUPS of information, it's all about chunking especially in pharm.
this sounds like it helps. Time to invest in a dork board!

kaikai128 said:
I write my own questions and answers to the notes from my classes and use a program called supermemo. (http://www.supermemo.com). I use it for classes that I really find that I have to memorize a lot of little facts and can not rely on an understanding of the material to perform well on tests.

Forewarning: it takes awhile to learn how to use the program, mid semester is not the time to try to figure it out.
Site looks pretty cool

Has anyone successfully used flashcards successfully as the primary way of studying?

i know some people that use this as their primary way of study. i usually have to understand something or write it out a bunch of times before i can memorize it and therefore don't particularly like flash cards (i have tried really hard to do it this way, especially for pharm and it just doesn't work for me).

if you've always done it then try to continue what works for you. med school is a ridiculous amount of material though so it may be difficult. i'd suggest you find others who use flash cards in a similar way to you and share amongst the group (use programs like the one listed above and put it on a PDA to make it super convenient to study anywhere).

-J

Like another student posted, using mnemonics can make pathways, cranial nerves, etc easier to remember. There is a website www.medicalmnemonics.com that may be of help. I happen to find the dirty ones most helpful. i.e. -- Parasympathetic Puts it up, Sympathetic Spurts it out describes the autonomic functions of the innervation of the penis. There's another one for the cranial nerves that starts out "Ooh ooh ooh to touch and feel....."

I have started writing out my classnotes in the form of questions that could be on the exam and it seems to help. Then i go through the questions and try to answer them off the top of my head. The ones i can't get i just use the notes to answer. Once the questions and the answers are written down i have a faster way to get thru the material and it is more interactive and more like an exam rather than just reading over and over as i have a tendency to.................zzzzzzzzzzzz.

nrddct said:

The best way to remember something is by putting it into context. The context in medical school should be its practicality in clinic. If you want to practice, get a netters and get crackin' - start with some spinal and bones, since youll need that for the beginning of OMM and anatomy.