Memorizing Equations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metukah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, how much do you think memorizing all the physics and gchem equations helps on PS? I think I finally have all of them now and I feel much more confident..seeing as there a lot of questions that simply ask about the relationship between certain variables.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel if your just sitting there memorizing equations it isn't going to help you on the mcat when the questions pop up where you need them. You need to practice with the equations so you not only work them into your mind, but so you get familiarized with the types of questions that involve them. Memorizing lists of equations isn't going to help as much as solid practice will.

I feel if your just sitting there memorizing equations it isn't going to help you on the mcat when the questions pop up where you need them. You need to practice with the equations so you not only work them into your mind, but so you get familiarized with the types of questions that involve them. Memorizing lists of equations isn't going to help as much as solid practice will.

Yeah of course - memorizing on top of practice!

Don't memorize them, know them.

I feel that memorizing is just being able to recite them in a list and then forgetting them 10 minutes later. You need to know when to bring them up and how to apply them. This is just through practice. Once you've used them multiple times you won't forget them.

Don't memorize them, know them.

This. I know it's annoying to hear repeated again and again, but you're much better off knowing the basic equations backwards and forwards than trying to memorize more obscure ones. In my experience on both practice exams and the real thing it seemed to be much more about rearranging and solving than just regurgitating for PS.