Will mcat chemical equations given for gen chem questions be balanced unless otherwise specified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdmd93

Reaction score
Asking for a friend

Members don't see this ad.

The AAMC FLs and SBs are really good about showing you what they expect from you for things like balancing. I found that sort of thing no different on my MCATs than their practice exams.

The MCAT doesn't really test this sort of thing. You read an excerpt from a paper or study, and then answer questions about it. There might be a chemical equation or two, but if they are part of the paper they are going to be balanced. I don't remember ever having to balance an equation.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MCAT doesn't really test this sort of thing. You read an excerpt from a paper or study, and then answer questions about it. There might be a chemical equation or two, but if they are part of the paper they are going to be balanced. I don't remember ever having to balance an equation.
These people aren't doing you any favors, OP. You should know how to balance chemical equations for the MCAT, and always remember to check for that--it's like remembering to check that a fraction is in its lowest common denominator.

Pay special attn to unbalanced equations involving oxygen.
Good luck! :)

These people aren't doing you any favors, OP. You should know how to balance chemical equations for the MCAT, and always remember to check for that--it's like remembering to check that a fraction is in its lowest common denominator.

Pay special attn to unbalanced equations involving oxygen.
Good luck! :)
To be fair I didn't say you "shouldn't know" how to balance chemical equations for the MCAT. Rather, I pointed out a common misconception that the MCAT tests basic science concepts in the same format you might see on a general chemistry exam or homework problem set. It does not.

To be fair I didn't say you "shouldn't know" how to balance chemical equations for the MCAT. Rather, I pointed out a common misconception that the MCAT tests basic science concepts in the same format you might see on a general chemistry exam or homework problem set. It does not.
Everything is fair game on the MCAT