"Memorizing" First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromuffin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To what extent should this be done? For example, with lab techniques, should I memorize that the elongation process of PCR needs to be set at 72 degrees C? Or is the general understanding that increasing the heat from 55 C allows for heat-stable DNA polymerase to bind to the DNA primer for elongation? Another example: is it essential to memorize that the T arm of tRNA contains ribothymidine, pseudouridine, and cytidine? Or is understanding that the T arm is important for tRNA-ribosome binding sufficient?

Just wondering. Going through my first pass and it is so time consuming getting through a single page of FA and fully memorizing. Perhaps biochem is a terrible beginning to memorizing FA, but I always manage to forget obvious minutiae like vimentin not only being an intermediate filament, but that it is the intermediate filament of mesenchymal tissue..

Members don't see this ad.

Everything is fair game to different extents. Usually if you don't know the specifics, you can extrapolate, but the difference between getting a 230 and a 250 is all in those specifics.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that you're better off focusing on the tiny details on subsequent passes of FA. Your biggest enemy during step study is time, and getting bogged down on one page for 30 minutes is not going to help you. First pass: big picture, second pass: acknowledge the details, third pass: master the details.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say that you're better off focusing on the tiny details on subsequent passes of FA. Your biggest enemy during step study is time, and getting bogged down on one page for 30 minutes is not going to help you. First pass: big picture, second pass: acknowledge the details, third pass: master the details.
How do you suggest going over diseases then? For Cri-du-Chat.. first pass remember chromosome 5 abnormality with high-pitched cry. Second pass.. know 5p deletion with intellectual disability. Third pass know it resembles Down syndrome but with the high pitched cry and microcephaly (I.e. VSD, intellectual disability, epicanthal folds)?

It's hard to see the degree of knowledge essential for biochem in 1st pass. All other systems seem pretty straightforward.

How do you suggest going over diseases then? For Cri-du-Chat.. first pass remember chromosome 5 abnormality with high-pitched cry. Second pass.. know 5p deletion with intellectual disability. Third pass know it resembles Down syndrome but with the high pitched cry and microcephaly (I.e. VSD, intellectual disability, epicanthal folds)?

It's hard to see the degree of knowledge essential for biochem in 1st pass. All other systems seem pretty straightforward.
Essentially, yes. I'd also advise starting with the organ systems before doing the basic science sections. Coming from M2 year, it'll feel more familiar to you and you'll be able to hone in on the right amount of detail a little more easily. Biochem.. is rough. Unless you've been religiously keeping up with it or just have a hard on for the basic sciences, it's going to require a lot more determination to sift through the details. Fortunately, UWorld hammers the biochem that you need to know and the explanations/charts/graphics are a bit more readable than straight FA. If you're that concerned, considering some dedicated biochem questions through Rx as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Essentially, yes. I'd also advise starting with the organ systems before doing the basic science sections. Coming from M2 year, it'll feel more familiar to you and you'll be able to hone in on the right amount of detail a little more easily. Biochem.. is rough. Unless you've been religiously keeping up with it or just have a hard on for the basic sciences, it's going to require a lot more determination to sift through the details. Fortunately, UWorld hammers the biochem that you need to know and the explanations/charts/graphics are a bit more readable than straight FA. If you're that concerned, considering some dedicated biochem questions through Rx as well.
I just keep getting hammered on biochem questions on UWorld. Trying to bring my 50% up to 70% haha. Thanks for the info. Micro is the only subject I have a hard on for in basic sciences because I've extensively studied it. I just think reviewing the lower yield stuff more will help me. It's easier to understand organ systems because there is a thought process involved.