Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Memorizing kinematic equations

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Tribeca, May 9, 2007.

1. Tribeca

Tribeca Senior Member

Medical Student
    I have a hard time memorizing kinematic equations (it didn't help that our Physics I prof let us use "cheat sheets" during exams).

To be more exact, when doing a problem, I can't pull a specific equation off my head without writing all of them down first. Only then can I see which one I need. Any tips?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit

Medical Student
    Try using flashcards to study. That'll force you to pull them individually from memory.

4. cheezer

cheezer Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Sorry, far from taking the MCAT, so I don't know if you have scratch space...but on physics tests, I used to write down all the equations I remembered right when I had pen and (test) paper. Then on each problem I'd identify the variables and just look at the set of equations. I did that for homeworks too. It's only after all that that I started being able to pull specific equations off my head. It's just a matter of practice.

5. poly800rock

poly800rock Member

i'd go for flashcards and repetition. more for repetition, if you don't memorize them from practice problems, you probably didn't do enough practice problems. But flashcards saved my butt for decay, it took me forever to memorize those damn things.

6. .surgical.

.surgical. Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, like you said, you can always just write the three (main) ones down on your scratch paper...yes, you do get scratch paper cheezer.

For the real thing, I'm prett sure I didn't have any kinematics problems. Unfortunetly, the MCAT goes for the tougher physics concepts and doesn't give us nice plug-n-chug problems most of the time.

The real secret to memorize these equations is just to DO PRACTICE PROBLEMS. Find the projectile motion section of the book, find the ramp problems, do practice problems til your head hurts. After doing enough problems, these equations will be permanently rooted in your memory (I know they are rooted in mine).

g/l to you

7. HristosKaran

HristosKaran Junior Member

Medical Student

I was going to start a thread about this...for those of you who have already taken the MCAT this year, how much Kinematics did you find on it and how indepth did they go? The reason I'm asking is Kinematics is not my strong suit, so I'm wondering how much more time I should put into it...I have the basics down from using this website and Kaplan, but nothing to brilliant lol

8. dedicate

dedicate took mcat, now applying

Non-Student
    Some useful tips. I'm having trouble recalling the kinematics equations rapidly as well.

Anyone else have any helpful suggestions?

9. sagtig

Non-Student
    kaplan review has mnemonics for them, something like

TAX
    VAT
    and a third one I don't remember...

but as far as kinematics is concerned... it is tested on the MCAT, first time I took it, we had a Projectile Motion problem...

projectile motion is pretty popular material for the mcat

10. DrJMR

Pre-Medical
    VAT
    vf=vi+at

VAX
    vf2=vi2+2aX

TAX
    X=vit+1/2at2

11. frescoengano

Pre-Medical
    you should have a physics equation sheet (make one if you don't have one) and keep writing it...it will come...and be sure to write down all the formulas during the tutorial. it helps.