memorizing top 200 drugs (help!)

kermit12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2006
To those who are taking the PTCB or anyone else who has to memorize the top 200 drugs, care to share any tips on how to make learning them easier? Is there any pattern to the naming of these drugs that connects it to what it does? How do they come up with these drug names anyway?

Right now I'm trying to make up a sentence out of the generic/trade names or trying to think up an image that could go along with it but I have to say it's not working because I am not very creative. :(

If you have any techniques that have helped please post...it is much appreciated! :D

beccala33

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
The only way to learn them is just basically pure memorization. The one thing that makes it a little easier is that drugs that are in the same class usually have the same suffix, like all the ARB's end in "sartan", all the ace inhibitors end in "pril", things like that.

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
  1. Pharmacist
To those who are taking the PTCB or anyone else who has to memorize the top 200 drugs, care to share any tips on how to make learning them easier? Is there any pattern to the naming of these drugs that connects it to what it does? How do they come up with these drug names anyway?

Right now I'm trying to make up a sentence out of the generic/trade names or trying to think up an image that could go along with it but I have to say it's not working because I am not very creative. :(

If you have any techniques that have helped please post...it is much appreciated! :D

I took the PTCE yesterday and I don't remember there being that many important drug names. Maybe 4-5 that I didn't know, but a lot of them were in word problems where it was a calculation question not a name/category question. I'd say 50% or better was math. A few inventory questions. There was some name/category recognition. I don't feel I was entirely prepared for everything on the test, but I'd say I got ~80%.

About the Ads

pkpd

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
  1. Post Doc

i can't memorize anything :laugh: but i was able to memorize the top 200 drugs from working at the pharmacy. experience helps a lot and the best way to memorize is by drug class.
good luck:luck:

qubaaf

pregabalin
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Houston
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
HEY...HEEEEEEY...HEEEEEY..
Donchu waste your time tryna cram all those drugs ....am tellin you youl`ll be shocked.....somne crazy math...a lot about DEA ...CLASSES....SCHEDULES...its so unpredictable you won`t imagine....I took the test last friday n thopt was prepared...am still in shock..hopefuly meeen...I think al pull that one...work on your math baaaad...a lil bit of drug intricacies....DEA....OHMS...YOU BETTER....SLL THE BEST...WHEN ARE YOU TRYNA TAKE IT???

KellyBean

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2007
In the middle of nowhere
  1. Post Doc
Donchu waste your time tryna cram all those drugs ....am tellin you youl`ll be shocked.....somne crazy math...a lot about DEA ...CLASSES....SCHEDULES...its so unpredictable you won`t imagine....I took the test last friday n thopt was prepared...am still in shock..hopefuly meeen...I think al pull that one...work on your math baaaad...a lil bit of drug intricacies....DEA....OHMS...YOU BETTER....SLL THE BEST...WHEN ARE YOU TRYNA TAKE IT???

were you drunk when you typed this?

p-rog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
  1. Fellow [Any Field]

This is all I have to say.... http://aiwor.com/showcontent.php?id=13831&thumbwidth=400&thumbheight=250

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.