memorizing top 200 drugs (help!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kermit12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who are taking the PTCB or anyone else who has to memorize the top 200 drugs, care to share any tips on how to make learning them easier? Is there any pattern to the naming of these drugs that connects it to what it does? How do they come up with these drug names anyway?

Right now I'm trying to make up a sentence out of the generic/trade names or trying to think up an image that could go along with it but I have to say it's not working because I am not very creative. :(

If you have any techniques that have helped please post...it is much appreciated! :D

Members don't see this ad.

The only way to learn them is just basically pure memorization. The one thing that makes it a little easier is that drugs that are in the same class usually have the same suffix, like all the ARB's end in "sartan", all the ace inhibitors end in "pril", things like that.

To those who are taking the PTCB or anyone else who has to memorize the top 200 drugs, care to share any tips on how to make learning them easier? Is there any pattern to the naming of these drugs that connects it to what it does? How do they come up with these drug names anyway?

Right now I'm trying to make up a sentence out of the generic/trade names or trying to think up an image that could go along with it but I have to say it's not working because I am not very creative. :(

If you have any techniques that have helped please post...it is much appreciated! :D

I took the PTCE yesterday and I don't remember there being that many important drug names. Maybe 4-5 that I didn't know, but a lot of them were in word problems where it was a calculation question not a name/category question. I'd say 50% or better was math. A few inventory questions. There was some name/category recognition. I don't feel I was entirely prepared for everything on the test, but I'd say I got ~80%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can we find a list of the top 200 drugs? Do we need to know these drugs for pharmacy school?

i can't memorize anything :laugh: but i was able to memorize the top 200 drugs from working at the pharmacy. experience helps a lot and the best way to memorize is by drug class.
good luck:luck:

HEY...HEEEEEEY...HEEEEEY..
Donchu waste your time tryna cram all those drugs ....am tellin you youl`ll be shocked.....somne crazy math...a lot about DEA ...CLASSES....SCHEDULES...its so unpredictable you won`t imagine....I took the test last friday n thopt was prepared...am still in shock..hopefuly meeen...I think al pull that one...work on your math baaaad...a lil bit of drug intricacies....DEA....OHMS...YOU BETTER....SLL THE BEST...WHEN ARE YOU TRYNA TAKE IT???

Donchu waste your time tryna cram all those drugs ....am tellin you youl`ll be shocked.....somne crazy math...a lot about DEA ...CLASSES....SCHEDULES...its so unpredictable you won`t imagine....I took the test last friday n thopt was prepared...am still in shock..hopefuly meeen...I think al pull that one...work on your math baaaad...a lil bit of drug intricacies....DEA....OHMS...YOU BETTER....SLL THE BEST...WHEN ARE YOU TRYNA TAKE IT???

were you drunk when you typed this?

This is all I have to say.... http://aiwor.com/showcontent.php?id=13831&thumbwidth=400&thumbheight=250

gaaal...you better do your math...nothin hard came of the drugs..anyway jus know that for good measure, all the bst though!!