Mens Interview Attire:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichaelScofield

Reaction score
I got a charcoal grey suit and red tie. What should I wear with it?

Dress shirt: White or Blue?

Shoes and Belt: Brown or Black?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Neon green crocs for the win.

But out of those probably the white shirt and black belt/shoes.

Reactions: 1 user
White shirt matches much better with a red tie, especially if it’s a normal red color as opposed to a darker red. Black works better with grey.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going for that power tie. I like it

Neon green crocs for the win.

But out of those probably the white shirt and black belt/shoes.
LOL. But for real, black shoes/belt, it's the easiest to match with. Then, just randomly pick the shirt. They will go with the other parts of your suit.

Sent from my SM-G9500 using SDN mobile

On the "red" tie -- A Donald Trump bright red satin tie is a definite NO!
A lighter/brighter red can work if it's toned down by a stripe or pin dot -- but with a white shirt.
A dark red -- maroon, wine or burgundy -- can be lovely and can go with either white or very light blue. White is safer, though.

And regarding the brown shoes -- It seems to be fashionable now to wear lighter brown shoes with navy (even grey) suits -- but don't do it. If the shade of brown could be acceptable for a bakery food item (a pastery, not a chocolate cake), then it's too light for an interview shoe. Darker brown or deep reddish brown (oxblood / cordovan) are fine. If you're not sure, go with black.

Why. It's the classic power tie. Shows dominance
It’s tacky and not a good look. If you aren’t Gordon Gecko in 1980s Wall Street, avoid any form of “power tie”

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grey Suit + White Shirt + Red Tie = Peewee Herman

Especially with black shoes. I know he had a bow tie, but still; I would avoid that combo.

Question about male attire for med interviews - is having your initials in light grey monogrammed onto your shirt cuff too showy?

Question about male attire for med interviews - is having your initials in light grey monogrammed onto your shirt cuff too showy?
No one is going to notice.

Don't do this. We once had a Dean candidate come for an interview who had shirt cuffs like that, and to a man and woman, the Faculty thought that he was a douchebag.

Reactions: 1 users
45_monogram_shooting_det_ap_carolyn_kaster-1024x488.jpg

I got a charcoal grey suit and red tie. What should I wear with it?

Dress shirt: White or Blue?

Shoes and Belt: Brown or Black?

Thank you.

It doesn’t matter, just make sure the belt and shoes match.

My personal preference is a white shirt with red tie and black shoes and belt.

Pay attention to the little things.

Shirt quality makes a huge difference. Get a fitted designer shirt (Hugo Boss is my go to, but plenty of others) that retails for >$150. Suit matters less. Little noticeable difference between a $400 suit and an $800 suit if it fits right. Spend the money on shirt and shoes.

Make sure shoes are professionally shined and suit is professionally pressed. Shoes should be leather soled with laces and a rounded toe. No rubber soles period! Either black socks or charcoal to match the pants. No flair socks at interviews!

Make sure tie knot and length are correct. If you want an example of what not to do for both, look at our president (Although his choice of tie is excellent, Brioni, it’s overboard for you).

Shave and moisturize you face correctly including grooming your hairline and having a clean haircut.

Silver wristwatch. No gold anywhere except for wedding band.

No pocket square.

Double cuffs are debatable. I personally wear them but accept there is a slight risk. If you choose to wear then, wear a simple silver cuff link. No magic 8 balls or lucky dice.

Belt buckle should be understated silver pass through, NOT SOLID.

What I have just described will make you look as sharp as possible, demonstrate exceptional taste, and offend no one.

Although personally I think gray suits are over done. Everybody is so deathly afraid of black suits, I think rolling up in a black suit and black tie and being confident would just be killer. But it has to be done exactly right to pull off.

You mean like they advertise in airplane magazines next to the penis pills and before the “America’s Top Doctors,” all of whom are wearing monogrammed shirts?

On the "red" tie -- A Donald Trump bright red satin tie is a definite NO!
A lighter/brighter red can work if it's toned down by a stripe or pin dot -- but with a white shirt.
A dark red -- maroon, wine or burgundy -- can be lovely and can go with either white or very light blue. White is safer, though.

And regarding the brown shoes -- It seems to be fashionable now to wear lighter brown shoes with navy (even grey) suits -- but don't do it. If the shade of brown could be acceptable for a bakery food item (a pastery, not a chocolate cake), then it's too light for an interview shoe. Darker brown or deep reddish brown (oxblood / cordovan) are fine. If you're not sure, go with black.

I disagree with virtually all of this, but take particular exception to the solid bold color shirts.

Absolutely do not wear a solid burgundy, wine, maroon, deep purple, blood red, whatever. This is Regis from who wants to be a millionaire. No. No. Just no. Don’t wear it without a suit, and especially not with a suit.

No stripes, no dots. Solid white or light blue.

Bright red ties are great but they have to be done right. High quality silk. I prefer with micro navy dots.

Brown shoes are completely fine with navy and gray suits. Cognac also fine. Even walnut.

You need to get a belt shade that matches EXACTLY though.

Check out Allen Edmonds for both. They have a student discount available.

I disagree with virtually all of this, but take particular exception to the solid bold color shirts.

Absolutely do not wear a solid burgundy, wine, maroon, deep purple, blood red, whatever. This is Regis from who wants to be a millionaire. No. No. Just no. Don’t wear it without a suit, and especially not with a suit.

No stripes, no dots. Solid white or light blue.

Bright red ties are great but they have to be done right. High quality silk. I prefer with micro navy dots.

Brown shoes are completely fine with navy and gray suits. Cognac also fine. Even walnut.

You need to get a belt shade that matches EXACTLY though.

Check out Allen Edmonds for both. They have a student discount available.

I was talking about TIES, not shirts! Egads! Shirts should be white or blue. TIES