Men's Interview Clothing #2

Started by Caesar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Black used to be considered formal/severe and too standoffish for an interview.

It's sort of like skirt suit vs pant suit for women, while some people still consider a skirt suit a safer bet in a conservative environment, it really is a matter of personal preference and is pretty far down on the list of things to nit-pick about.

Loafers vs lace-ups is another "hotly" contested interview fashion item.

Black is still to formal for an interview.

Loafers should NEVER be worn to an interview. Balmoral cap-toe lace-ups are the only interview appropriate shoe, a punch-cap would also be fine. Anything other then this would be considered to informal for an interview.
 
Black is still to formal for an interview.

Loafers should NEVER be worn to an interview. Balmoral cap-toe lace-ups are the only interview appropriate shoe, a punch-cap would also be fine. Anything other then this would be considered to informal for an interview.

black is too formal, but the truth is that 80% of interviewees wear it and it is not going to hurt you. if one already owns a black suit, it fits well, and it's the only one you've got, then don't reinvent the wheel. those who don't have a suit and are shopping for interview season really should avoid them though.

ok, don't wear loafers. the rest of your shoe advice is very silly. oh noes i wore thes to mai interview, rejekted????
 
I hate people like Captainnerd, people that feel they are elite or better than others.I can guarantee you that you probably buy expensive clothes just make yourself feel better about crying at night and asking yourself why you have no friends.

If you ever go to jail your best friend will be bubba.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Black used to be considered formal/severe and too standoffish for an interview.

It's sort of like skirt suit vs pant suit for women, while some people still consider a skirt suit a safer bet in a conservative environment, it really is a matter of personal preference and is pretty far down on the list of things to nit-pick about.

Loafers vs lace-ups is another "hotly" contested interview fashion item.

Not really. Women's interview/business clothing is vastly different from men's. Men's business dress is largely regimented--it's called the business uniform for a reason. The business uniform does not include black suits. Black suits are popular thanks to the fashion trends in the last 7 years (especially the last 4), not because the properly fit the uniform.

Never wear loafers to an interview. Lace ups, only.

skirt suit all the way, man one girl I interviewed with was a dancer, had AMAZING legs.... probably received an acceptance everywhere she interviewed, hell if I was the interviewer 10 stars across the board for amazing calves. 😍

I love dancers.. as a dancer, myself, I get to be around them all the time 😎

Although I must say... pant suits + nice ass = win.

I hate people like Captainnerd, people that feel they are elite or better than others.I can guarantee you that you probably buy expensive clothes just make yourself feel better about crying at night and asking yourself why you have no friends.

If you ever go to jail your best friend will be bubba.

Although you are trolling, the honest answer is that you should refer to my business dress uniform comment.
 
I hate people like Captainnerd, people that feel they are elite or better than others.I can guarantee you that you probably buy expensive clothes just make yourself feel better about crying at night and asking yourself why you have no friends.

If you ever go to jail your best friend will be bubba.

What are you? 5 years old? Who says these types of things? Comma splice.

I have so much money, I buy Burberry shirts. Bling bling. You bet your ass I have to dress well. You would too if you were missing a tooth and didn't have any eyes.

burbery-chav.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here is a general question for those of you who know some reputable retailers in the London area.

I am looking to make an investment into a well made suit that will last me the next 5 years of so, (through residency interviews hopefully), and my price limit is $1000. I know there are some famous tailors on Savile Row from reading this thread, but I can only assume they are beyond my price range.

Chan and Sons is visiting London is about 15 days as well, but trying to get an appointment this late combined with the shipping/multiple fittings might be a little too complicated, as I am currently in Oxford on a research internship and can't shoot to London whenever I want.

I have broad shoulders/small waist, so I am very envious of the well fitted suits shown in this thread, (Thanks Captain N.) Anyway, the two main questions are:

1. Whom should I be looking for in London for the best possible suit for up to $1000?

2. Given the exchange rate, which is around $1.6 to the pound, should I just give up on the variety of London and settle for some more mainstream shops in Florida?

I just feel like I have an opportunity to pick up an excellent suit in London that will last a long time, whereas when I go back to the states I will be shopping in FL at Nordstrom, Joseph A Bank, etc.

This thread is thick on comedy, so I'll add some more, with a side of shame at this point. I wore a 6 year old suit to my JHMP interview. It was black with a black tie, and I wore the exact same suit to freshmen year homecoming and every subsequent HS dance. It is the only suit I owned, take pity on me.
 
^It would be very difficult to get a bespoke for $1000 in London. London is a fairly well off city and I don't think you can get bespoke for that kind of money.

As for OTR (off the rack), there's no difference in quality from OTR US and OTR UK.

As for Chan and Sons, their suits start at around $1,500 for their lower quality suiting fabrics (which is still very high quality compared to the mainstream OTR shops). Chan and Sons can make a suit with a single fitting but the end result won't be perfect. It will be good but just not perfect. It takes 3 months from first fitting to completion.

My first suit from Chan and Sons was done with only one measurement and it fits pretty good. The second suit fits better and the third and beyond fits like a glove.

I recommend you raise your budget to $2K and get 3 shirts from them as well. Of course, easier said than done. Especially in this economy.
 
I went by Ede and Ravenscroft in Oxford and got a price quote for an OTR suit for 525 pounds; I was referred by a styleforum user who lives in Oxford and let me know whom to approach there. The man I spoke with was knowledgeable and wasn't trying to push a sale.

It seemed there was a consensus that I should get an OTR with minimal alterations, and look at a rather large shopping outlet north of Oxford in a town called Bicester. I am planning on going between these two towns and trying on as many OTR suits as I can. I was told I should just find a well fitting high end OTR and make minimal alterations compared to getting an entry level MTM suit for the same price, especially considering this is my first non-bargain bin suit.

Here is the link to the thread with the aforementioned advice.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=246093&highlight=London+vs+FL+suits

Of course, If I don't find anything spectacular, I'll test my luck back in the states where the variety of suit options will take a precipitous drop. (shopping in Florida)
 
Last edited:
I went by Ede and Ravenscroft in Oxford and got a price quote for an OTR suit for 525 pounds; I was referred by a styleforum user who lives in Oxford and let me know whom to approach there. The man I spoke with was knowledgeable and wasn't trying to push a sale.

It seemed there was a consensus that I should get an OTR with minimal alterations, and look at a rather large shopping outlet north of Oxford in a town called Bicester. I am planning on going between these two towns and trying on as many OTR suits as I can. I was told I should just find a well fitting high end OTR and make minimal alterations compared to getting an entry level MTM suit for the same price, especially considering this is my first non-bargain bin suit.

Here is the link to the thread with the aforementioned advice.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=246093&highlight=London+vs+FL+suits

Of course, If I don't find anything spectacular, I'll test my luck back in the states where the variety of suit options will take a precipitous drop. (shopping in Florida)

525 pounds for OTR is too much. You can get better quality for far less just looking on Gilt and paying close attention to the measurements. Better yet, since you already know about styleforum just go in Men's Clothing B&S and keep an eye out for suits there. You can easily find some quality suiting there for $200, and as long as the fit is slim and the shoulders fit well, just about anything else can be altered.
 
^ ugly suit, Cap. Looks like a 70's Mod, and his pants are too short. I'd laugh my ass off if someone wore that to an interview.
 
im looking to use a Tailor Fit charcoal suit(jacket and slacks), with black dress shoes, white dress shirt and maroon tie? Does that work? When I interviewed for engineering jobs this seemed to be the norm and I was wondering if it was for medical school interview as well..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
black is too formal, but the truth is that 80% of interviewees wear it and it is not going to hurt you. if one already owns a black suit, it fits well, and it's the only one you've got, then don't reinvent the wheel. those who don't have a suit and are shopping for interview season really should avoid them though.

ok, don't wear loafers. the rest of your shoe advice is very silly. oh noes i wore thes to mai interview, rejekted????

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱 OMG the price!!!!

I'm too poor, I'll hit up Zara or H&M
 
A little. For conservative interview clothing you want a solid color tie. Stripes and patterns take away from the ensemble and many older interviewers(at least in industry) dont like it

I wouldn't go so far as to say no to tie patterns. The key is to keep it to stripes and simple geometrics (i.e. small dots), two colors, three if you know what you're doing. I never wore a solid tie to an interview.
 
I wouldn't go so far as to say no to tie patterns. The key is to keep it to stripes and simple geometrics (i.e. small dots), two colors, three if you know what you're doing. I never wore a solid tie to an interview.

I'm just going based off what I've been told by some older retired business executives. To them a white dress shirt and solid tie color that doesn't scream out is what is expected. The stripes can be pulled off, dots might jump out a little too much. :shrug:

Med school interviews are different. But the concept of keeping it conservative and simple patterns works.
 
So glad I found this thread. My first interview is in three weeks and I am going "suit shopping" Monday and Tuesday. From the 3 pages I've read, would the general consensus still be navy/gray >> black? I am all for the "standing out somewhat while still looking professional" but want to make sure I'm doing this right. And is it necessary to buy new shoes for a navy suit, or would some brown dress shoes be acceptable? Any current students/applicants from this past cycle have any thoughts? Thanks!
 
So glad I found this thread. My first interview is in three weeks and I am going "suit shopping" Monday and Tuesday. From the 3 pages I've read, would the general consensus still be navy/gray >> black? I am all for the "standing out somewhat while still looking professional" but want to make sure I'm doing this right. And is it necessary to buy new shoes for a navy suit, or would some brown dress shoes be acceptable? Any current students/applicants from this past cycle have any thoughts? Thanks!

Black is too formal. A navy/grey/charcoal suit is a standard for interviews

depends on the brown?( cant really comment on this, just picturing and googling). A rule I have always used for shoes is to match the belt.


doitit

i found this on google

http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/shoes/200501/navy-suit-brown
 
So glad I found this thread. My first interview is in three weeks and I am going "suit shopping" Monday and Tuesday. From the 3 pages I've read, would the general consensus still be navy/gray >> black? I am all for the "standing out somewhat while still looking professional" but want to make sure I'm doing this right. And is it necessary to buy new shoes for a navy suit, or would some brown dress shoes be acceptable? Any current students/applicants from this past cycle have any thoughts? Thanks!

Brown shoes + navy suit is standard for all of europe except for the UK. The black/navy combo is standard for the UK. Grey and either color is fine. I personally like more reddish browns with either of the two. You can wear black shoes with either and you will look fine, although I'd suggest grey over navy suit color if you want to wear black shoes.
 
These may seem like a silly questions to ask, but I will ask it anyway.

My favorite suit jacket is a baby blue. I'm assuming this may be too much for an interview. No?
Here's a [small] picture of the jacket (it's all I have on my work computer...I had to rip it from my tumblr account)
avatar_e58e3defe9f6_64.png


What about bow ties? I am big into bow ties - in fact the physicians/nurses in the ED know me because I wear bow ties. The days I come in a regular tie, they pester me all day as to where the bow tie went hahaha.

Lastly, in my recent trip to Ireland, I was able to pick up a tweed suit vest from a local tweedman. It is a light purple which resembles this color in this picture
140.jpg

Note: this is not the actual vest - the buttons are not as dark, they are a grayish button, and the inside of the vest is not that ridiculous silky-dark purple.


Aright. That's about all the interview dress code question I have.
Thanks :]
 
These may seem like a silly questions to ask, but I will ask it anyway.

My favorite suit jacket is a baby blue. I'm assuming this may be too much for an interview. No?
Here's a [small] picture of the jacket (it's all I have on my work computer...I had to rip it from my tumblr account)
avatar_e58e3defe9f6_64.png


What about bow ties? I am big into bow ties - in fact the physicians/nurses in the ED know me because I wear bow ties. The days I come in a regular tie, they pester me all day as to where the bow tie went hahaha.

Lastly, in my recent trip to Ireland, I was able to pick up a tweed suit vest from a local tweedman. It is a light purple which resembles this color in this picture
140.jpg

Note: this is not the actual vest - the buttons are not as dark, they are a grayish button, and the inside of the vest is not that ridiculous silky-dark purple.


Aright. That's about all the interview dress code question I have.
Thanks :]

It sounds like you know how to dress, but not necessarily for an interview. I very strongly considered wearing a bow tie to some of my interviews, but it's really not recommended. Neither are intense colors (lots of purple, lots of baby blue). You can wear them, but I think you're approaching the point of being inappropriately dressed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.youtube.com/embed/vPGTizdGwSc


Ill agree with flowrate. baby blue and purple would be crossing into sticking out too much at an interview

Aright, I figured that would be the end result, but I wanted to make sure before I decided to crush my creative style.
Some of the secondaries require pictures attached, do you think that this picture would be inappropriate since I am wearing weird color schemes, or do you think it would be ok?
n1380000715_30065090_7317.jpg

EDIT: Aside from the horrible red eyes that I would photoshop out.
 
Aright, I figured that would be the end result, but I wanted to make sure before I decided to crush my creative style.
Some of the secondaries require pictures attached, do you think that this picture would be inappropriate since I am wearing weird color schemes, or do you think it would be ok?
n1380000715_30065090_7317.jpg

EDIT: Aside from the horrible red eyes that I would photoshop out.
I like your sense of style. Crop it down to your face some. It should be fine for secondary pictures, although I think some what it to be on a white background or something.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.