Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whatever happened to just wearing white?

I wanted to wear a light blueish shirt, but I'm almost 100% resigned to just wearing white. My teeth, while not terribly yellow, aren't pearly white either and I feel like a white shirt makes them look more yellow than they really are.

True story.
 
Great, thank you. I honestly didn't know there was so much involved to dressing appropriately for an interview. Had I not discovered this thread, I would be wearing a patterned shirt since it's been so difficult to find a decent solid shirt in the right color.

There's nothing wrong with a tasteful patterned shirt. Bengal stripes and gingham checks, among others, all extremely common business shirts. I love me some bengal stripes.

Edit: This would be an absolutely ridiculous patterned shirt to wear: http://www.threadtraders.com/media/...5fb8d27136e95/2/0/20100708-mshirts-ex-029.jpg . This is tasteful and appropriate: http://www.cwclothes.co.uk/media/ca...f78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/0/f015_1.jpg . See the difference?
 
Yo bros, I know a suit is necessary, but how tacky is it to walk to your interview with a baseball cap and backpack? I'd take it off in the interview, but I'd just feel more like my age instead of a prima donna pre-med.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yo bros, I know a suit is necessary, but how tacky is it to walk to your interview with a baseball cap and backpack? I'd take it off in the interview, but I'd just feel more like my age instead of a prima donna pre-med.

Get sunglasses and a backpack is fine. Nobody expects a 20 year old college kid to have a nice leather briefcase, especially while traveling.
 
Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with a tasteful patterned shirt. Bengal stripes and gingham checks, among others, all extremely common business shirts. I love me some bengal stripes.

Edit: This would be an absolutely ridiculous patterned shirt to wear: http://www.threadtraders.com/media/...5fb8d27136e95/2/0/20100708-mshirts-ex-029.jpg . This is tasteful and appropriate: http://www.cwclothes.co.uk/media/ca...f78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/0/f015_1.jpg . See the difference?

Yea, I know the difference 🙂

I was strongly considering a shirt like this. I've already got a bunch (not necessarily BB) in my closet. I was also going to wear a diagonal striped tie (like the one below). Idk if that would be appropriate though.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...9&Parent_Id=210&default_color=Navy-light-blue
 
Navy or Charcoal (dark grey). If you're dead set on wearing that brown belt for some reason, go with a navy suit.

And as the other posters pointed out, your situation and infatuation with this belt is confusing. What is so special about it that it warrants discussion in every day conversations?

I really don't understand what you were asking. Were you serious about bringing up your brown belt during the interview? What exactly would you have said about it?

Not dead set on it. More like sentimental value on it. But it's definitely not interview material. I gotta go through this thread with a fine-tooth comb.
 
Yo bros, I know a suit is necessary, but how tacky is it to walk to your interview with a baseball cap and backpack? I'd take it off in the interview, but I'd just feel more like my age instead of a prima donna pre-med.

UHHHHHHH..... They're looking for MATURE people. (Think about the position you are/will be interviewing for...) If you're not ready to succumb to the "real adult" world then don't even bother going to the interview.
 
A lot useful info here... thanks guys. So for a navy suit with an oxford blue shirt, the tie shouldn't be any shade of blue right? I think I read someone saying a similar setup would be "too blue".
 
A lot useful info here... thanks guys. So for a navy suit with an oxford blue shirt, the tie shouldn't be any shade of blue right? I think I read someone saying a similar setup would be "too blue".

Yeah I personally think it would be too much blue. If I wore a blue shirt and navy suit, I'd probably wear a burgundy tie
 
A lot useful info here... thanks guys. So for a navy suit with an oxford blue shirt, the tie shouldn't be any shade of blue right? I think I read someone saying a similar setup would be "too blue".

Ditch the oxford shirt. The button down collars are considered the least formal. Get a point or spread collar. (unless "oxford blue" is referring to a color and not the collar type)
 
A lot useful info here... thanks guys. So for a navy suit with an oxford blue shirt, the tie shouldn't be any shade of blue right? I think I read someone saying a similar setup would be "too blue".

I wore navy suit, light blue shirt, navy polka dot tie to my interviews; set off the blue with a white linen pocket square.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea, I know the difference 🙂

I was strongly considering a shirt like this. I've already got a bunch (not necessarily BB) in my closet. I was also going to wear a diagonal striped tie (like the one below). Idk if that would be appropriate though.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...9&Parent_Id=210&default_color=Navy-light-blue
That would be a fine combination with a solid suit. Repp ties are very much so business appropriate and interview friendly. Just make sure the check and the width of the stripes aren't similar, it can sometimes look very funky.

A lot useful info here... thanks guys. So for a navy suit with an oxford blue shirt, the tie shouldn't be any shade of blue right? I think I read someone saying a similar setup would be "too blue".
This is a tricky one. For mots people the answer is yes, but there are ways to do this right. For example, by playing with textures. A navy grossa grenadine on top of a sky blue poplin or end-over-end would look just fine with a solid navy wool suit, since the weave of the tie is so distinct from the outfit that it stands out on its own.
 
Guys. Why am I so inclined to wear a pocket square with my suit? When I look in the mirror without having a pocket square, it is the same feeling I get when not wearing a wristwatch. Surely a small folded PS wouldn't hurt right? I don't get the argument that it comes off as fancy or what not. Can someone expand on this? Thanks

Also, would being tall (6'+) with squat legs and butt be better suited for a single center vent suit or a double side vent?
 
Guys. Why am I so inclined to wear a pocket square with my suit? When I look in the mirror without having a pocket square, it is the same feeling I get when not wearing a wristwatch. Surely a small folded PS wouldn't hurt right? I don't get the argument that it comes off as fancy or what not. Can someone expand on this? Thanks

Also, would being tall (6'+) with squat legs and butt be better suited for a single center vent suit or a double side vent?
TV fold showing ~1/4" or less should be perfectly fine. And as for the jacket, I'd go with side vents.
 
On the assumption that side vents were originally made for horseback riding, where one is in a crouched position and the legs more.....wide spread. I followed this logic, and that double vents would be better for a larger derriere.

I'd actually like to amend my previous answer: try both on and see which one fits flatter to the body. I have a squatter's hindquarters and on the whole side-vented jackets fit me worse since the "flap" would rest at an angle, accentuating all those things I'd worked so hard to build in the gym. However, the best fitting jacket I found was a slightly higher-waisted double vented one that allowed for a nice drape.

tl;dr: Try on both. The single vents will, on the whole, look better, but (IMO) a well-tailored double-vented jacket will look best of all.
 
This is a really weak question but it's one that never really occurred to me until now. 😳 Do you wear the suit buttoned or unbuttoned?
 
This is a really weak question but it's one that never really occurred to me until now. 😳 Do you wear the suit buttoned or unbuttoned?
When walking = ONLY top button buttoned

As you go down to sit = unbutton the top button

The lower button gets no action
 
When walking = ONLY top button buttoned

As you go down to sit = unbutton the top button

The lower button gets no action

Correct if it's a 2 button suit; in a three button suit you sometimes button the top button and always button the middle, never the bottom.
 
Any advice for a large man like myself...Im like 5'11, 260 pounds, have alot of muscle so that explains the weight but still hold weight in the stomach region.... so what do you guys advise me to wear 🙂
 

Love this combination, personally. Nice work. I have a charcoal suit with very fine white pinstripes. Looks great with a white shirt and blue/white patterned tie. Black belt and shoes, of course.
 

The outfit looks fine but just be careful with the shoes. I've heard from adcoms that square-toe blucher subtracts 1 point from your LizzyM score :meanie:
 
Any advice for a large man like myself...Im like 5'11, 260 pounds, have alot of muscle so that explains the weight but still hold weight in the stomach region.... so what do you guys advise me to wear 🙂


Look up Jos A Bank. A lot of their suits are made with a fuller cut for the larger guy. They also frequently have "buy one get two free" sales and other such nonsense. Heh.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How strict is the no-black suit rule?

As far as med school interviews, you'll be in the vast majority if you wear a black suit (because no one seems to know any better). So if that's all you've got and you're not planning on buying another suit anytime soon, you'll be fine.

That said, if you conceivably see yourself wearing a suit again in the near or even relatively near future, start thinking about buying a navy or charcoal suit. That black suit should be hidden in the back of your closet and only taken out for funerals.
 
I have black ray-ban wayfarers (vision glasses) that i usually wear. would it be preferable to wear those or my contacts? I usually wear the glasses so they are more comfortable for me then contacts, but i dont want to come off too trendy and young, even though they are a classic look.
 
I have black ray-ban wayfarers (vision glasses) that i usually wear. would it be preferable to wear those or my contacts? I usually wear the glasses so they are more comfortable for me then contacts, but i dont want to come off too trendy and young, even though they are a classic look.

Contacts. It's only for one day.
 
So my Taylor Swift concert tee is a solid play?

Brooks Bros has a summer clearance going on right meow. I called the BB outlet in my town today, and they're dealing two suits for $550, which from what I understand is a righteous deal.

My game plan?

Grey suit
White shirt
Navy blue tie
Grey sox
Black belt and shoes

I'm also trimming my nose hair and getting my 'brows threaded and washing my hair with Bvlgari White Tea shampoo. Judge away.
 
Last edited:
I actually wore wayfarers with clear lenses to all my interviews, its fine.

When you say clear lenses, do you mean that you didn't actually need to wear them and that it was just for looks? If so, what are your impressions of how interviewers see it?
 
I wanted to wear a light blueish shirt, but I'm almost 100% resigned to just wearing white. My teeth, while not terribly yellow, aren't pearly white either and I feel like a white shirt makes them look more yellow than they really are.

True story.

Whiten your teeth. Compared to the cost of a suit, flight, etc. it's worth it. Even just a $4 tube of the whitening toothpaste will make a difference over four to six weeks, along with cutting out coffee, soda, etc.

As far as med school interviews, you'll be in the vast majority if you wear a black suit (because no one seems to know any better). So if that's all you've got and you're not planning on buying another suit anytime soon, you'll be fine.

That said, if you conceivably see yourself wearing a suit again in the near or even relatively near future, start thinking about buying a navy or charcoal suit. That black suit should be hidden in the back of your closet and only taken out for funerals.

Question: With a navy (not blue, navy) suit, what color for belt and shoes? Black or chesnut? Black is more conservative but chestnut is more stylish. I'm leaning toward black just to be safe.

images
blue-windowpane-0808-lg-51441262.jpg
 
Are French cuffs appropriate?

They look badass 😎 Maybe its just because i have just been watching to much Mad men, however.
 
Whiten your teeth. Compared to the cost of a suit, flight, etc. it's worth it. Even just a $4 tube of the whitening toothpaste will make a difference over four to six weeks, along with cutting out coffee, soda, etc.



Question: With a navy (not blue, navy) suit, what color for belt and shoes? Black or chesnut? Black is more conservative but chestnut is more stylish. I'm leaning toward black just to be safe.

images
blue-windowpane-0808-lg-51441262.jpg


Those shoes in that second pic aren't really chestnut, they're burgundy/cordovan.

Anyway, I wore burgundy belt/shoes with my navy suit for residency interviews, primarily because I'm personally not a big fan of the black shoes with navy look. That said, some people more cautiously adhere to the "black shoes for interviews, period" dogma, and would consider black the only option.

Ultimately whichever you feel more comfortable/confident in. If I had to commit to one answer for you and not waffle, my blanket/generic recommendation would probably be black just because it's "safer." Consider this (admittedly silly) thought exercise:

Your interviewer will either have his finger on the pulse of semi-formal male attire, or he/she won't. It plays out 1 of 4 ways.

1. Stylish interviewer notices your black shoes with navy pants. Possibly isn't a fan, but understands sometimes interview etiquette trumps personal flair. No problem.
2. Stylish interviewer notices your burgundy shoes with navy pants. Appreciates your color choice. No problem.
3. Fashion-challenged interviewer notices your black shoes with navy pants. Or doesn't. If he does, he knows black = formal and thinks nothing more of it. No problem.
4. Fashion-challenged interviewer notices your burgundy shoes with navy pants. Is unduly insulted that you would have the audacity to wear non-black shoes to a professional school interview. Gets angry and punches you in the face, refuses to validate your parking, and puts you on the waitlist.

As you can see, the most negative outcome listed above is associated with the burgundy shoes.

All kidding aside, in the end this really doesn't matter very much. If you have any doubts, go with black to quash any worries you might have come interview day. You want to be focused on presenting yourself as a competent future doctor who is personable and friendly, not whether or not the interview approves of your sartorial color schemes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have black ray-ban wayfarers (vision glasses) that i usually wear. would it be preferable to wear those or my contacts? I usually wear the glasses so they are more comfortable for me then contacts, but i dont want to come off too trendy and young, even though they are a classic look.
Your Ray-Bans are fine.

As far as med school interviews, you'll be in the vast majority if you wear a black suit (because no one seems to know any better). So if that's all you've got and you're not planning on buying another suit anytime soon, you'll be fine.

That said, if you conceivably see yourself wearing a suit again in the near or even relatively near future, start thinking about buying a navy or charcoal suit. That black suit should be hidden in the back of your closet and only taken out for funerals.
I disagree with this on a personal basis, but in general I agree with you. Most people that wear black don't have the skin tone to pull it off, especially now that it's so ubiquitous. Pasty white + black == you look like a ghost.

Are French cuffs appropriate?

They look badass 😎 Maybe its just because i have just been watching to much Mad men, however.
No. You're a pre-med, not a baller. Don't wear double cuffs, don't wear mad bling, don't pass go and collect $200.

All kidding aside, in the end this really doesn't matter very much. If you have any doubts, go with black to quash any worries you might have come interview day. You want to be focused on presenting yourself as a competent future doctor who is personable and friendly, not whether or not the interview approves of your sartorial color schemes.
+1
Black is the safe choice, just go with black unless you really really know what you're doing.
 
When you say clear lenses, do you mean that you didn't actually need to wear them and that it was just for looks? If so, what are your impressions of how interviewers see it?

No, I meant I use them as my glasses, not that I think they could tell in any case.
 
Are French cuffs appropriate?

They look badass 😎 Maybe its just because i have just been watching to much Mad men, however.

I personally think you should go with button cuff; I occasionally rocked French cuffs tho.
 
Are these patterns and colors considered to be 'professional' attire for shadowing?

http://www.ctshirts.com/men%27s-shirts/men%27s-dress-shirts/Blue-_and-red-Prince-of-Wales-check-slim-fit-dress-shirt?q=usddefault||FC113BRD|||||||||||||

http://www.ctshirts.com/men%27s-shirts/men%27s-dress-shirts/Sky-_and-white-large-grid-check-slim-fit-dress-shirt?q=usddefault||FC118SWT|||||||||||||

I hate typical dress shirt colors and patterns -- faint colors and horribly ugly vertical stripes -- and would like to avoid them unless it's absolutely necessary.

edit: These are not going to be worn under a suit jacket or anything. Just shirt/tie/dress pants for shadowing.
 
Are these patterns and colors considered to be 'professional' attire for shadowing?

http://www.ctshirts.com/men%27s-shirts/men%27s-dress-shirts/Blue-_and-red-Prince-of-Wales-check-slim-fit-dress-shirt?q=usddefault||FC113BRD|||||||||||||

http://www.ctshirts.com/men%27s-shirts/men%27s-dress-shirts/Sky-_and-white-large-grid-check-slim-fit-dress-shirt?q=usddefault||FC118SWT|||||||||||||

I hate typical dress shirt colors and patterns -- faint colors and horribly ugly vertical stripes -- and would like to avoid them unless it's absolutely necessary.

edit: These are not going to be worn under a suit jacket or anything. Just shirt/tie/dress pants for shadowing.

For shadowing I would go your first day in standard gray slacks, white shirt, conservative tie. See what your preceptor is doing. If he's more casual then by all means throw in the checks and "slightly adventurous" shirts.

Of the two, the second one is better, but there's certainly nothing wrong with a PoW check. If you really want to wear a checked shirt and avoid solids/stripes, I would look for a fine gingham or micro-gingham.