Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, I feel like medical school interviews always just end up with Matrix/Men in Black entourage cookie cutter styles:[/IMG]

Wearing a black shirt is definitely not the right way to go about fixing that. You really shouldn't even own a black dress shirt (nor a black suit).
 
Thin or Wide tie?

The wide tie makes a big knot.

For general occasions, interviews, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thin or Wide tie?

The wide tie makes a big knot.

For general occasions, interviews, etc.

Learn a different knot 🙂

Anything between 2.5" and 3.75" should be fine. Those ultra-skinny ties are not professional enough, in my opinion, and the wider ties are sort of outdated, though you could easily get away with them.

I'd shoot for something standard, 3"-3.5"
 
Please elaborate on the other types of knots.

Learn a different knot 🙂

Anything between 2.5" and 3.75" should be fine. Those ultra-skinny ties are not professional enough, in my opinion, and the wider ties are sort of outdated, though you could easily get away with them.

I'd shoot for something standard, 3"-3.5"
 
Wearing a black shirt is definitely not the right way to go about fixing that. You really shouldn't even own a black dress shirt (nor a black suit).

I see black suits with pinstripes all the time, probably one of the most common, actually.

All black is another story -- maybe if you direct funerals.

The black-on-black mafia look is actually pretty sweet with a good contrast in colors, but that's more for a friendly occasion than a formal interview. It's pretty insane how neurotic this is though, I'd be taken back if they actually selected someone based on what type of suit someone was wearing, as long as they were both in the realm of appropriate it shouldn't matter. Now, if someone came in a clown suit or a banana suit, then I would have to agree.
 
Last edited:
I see black suits with pinstripes all the time, probably one of the most common, actually.


That doesn't make it right.

I should also add that, for many of the things recommended against here (black suits, loafers, slip on shoes, etc), they probably won't get you rejected or anything. It's more a matter of not looking like a complete buffoon.
 
Please elaborate on the other types of knots.

What do you tie? I imagine it's a half or full Windsor, since that seems to be the only knot most guys know.

The four-in-hand is one of the most versatile knots there is. It is also good at getting a relatively small knot out of even a bulky tie.

I personally tie a variation of the Pratt/Shelby / Nicky knot any time I have a tie that isn't too thick and I have a wider spread collar on. Otherwise it's the four-in-hand, and those are the only 2 knots I ever tie.
 
It's pretty insane how neurotic this is though, I'd be taken back if they actually selected someone based on what type of suit someone was wearing, as long as they were both in the realm of appropriate it shouldn't matter. Now, if someone came in a clown suit or a banana suit, then I would have to agree.

Sure, nobody is going to base an acceptance or rejection solely based on what someone is wearing, but if I were an interviewer and, with all else being equal, I had to choose between the kid who clearly knows how to dress professionally, and the kid who looks like he just hit the club and stumbled into my office, I'd choose the one who appears more mature and professional. I'd guess that one has a better understanding of what's going on and isn't just fumbling through the next step after college.
 
Thanks, good info.

What do you tie? I imagine it's a half or full Windsor, since that seems to be the only knot most guys know.

The four-in-hand is one of the most versatile knots there is. It is also good at getting a relatively small knot out of even a bulky tie.

I personally tie a variation of the Pratt/Shelby / Nicky knot any time I have a tie that isn't too thick and I have a wider spread collar on. Otherwise it's the four-in-hand, and those are the only 2 knots I ever tie.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hmm yeah I suppose technically. Though it looks more like the cover that comes with a suit. A garment bag is something more like this:

70270-main-242.jpg

Minus $500 lol
 
^^

Read the most recent reviews. I suspect the quality might have gone down hill. I thought about that one too but the recent reviews seem a little unnerving. I still might get it though lol.
 
I have shoes very similar to this, I think they are just the model before. What are your guys' thoughts on the split toe for interviews?

Personally, I think they are very comfortable and actually played several holes of golf in them the other day after a family gathering as it was all I had... Maybe not the best decision for the shoes, but they got a nice clean, condition, and shine afterwards and look good as new.

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?catId=100&productId=396248&productGroup=396249
 
They're bluchers, and split toe to boot, plus made of crappy corrected grain. That being said, they're fine, if you already own them, if not ideal.

I have shoes very similar to this, I think they are just the model before. What are your guys' thoughts on the split toe for interviews?

Personally, I think they are very comfortable and actually played several holes of golf in them the other day after a family gathering as it was all I had... Maybe not the best decision for the shoes, but they got a nice clean, condition, and shine afterwards and look good as new.

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?catId=100&productId=396248&productGroup=396249
 
Just dropped a bomb today on cloth for my suit with a 130 thread count (for a student, this is expensive!). However the material is black (but it somewhat reflects light, so it is a light-ish black, hard to describe) and reading this thread is making me really regret my purchase. I was under the impression that black was the most common suit color, but what's done is done. At least I will have this suit personally tailored for me. I will try to spruce up the stern look with a light blue shirt and a silver tie when I go for interviews.

Does this sound ok? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Sounds fine.

Just dropped a bomb today on cloth for my suit with a 130 thread count (for a student, this is expensive!). However the material is black (but it somewhat reflects light, so it is a light-ish black, hard to describe) and reading this thread is making me really regret my purchase. I was under the impression that black was the most common suit color, but what's done is done. At least I will have this suit personally tailored for me. I will try to spruce up the stern look with a light blue shirt and a silver tie when I go for interviews.

Does this sound ok? Thanks!
 
Does anyone know where I can find a slim fit white oxford shirt with a wide spread collar for around $50?

I fit the Express 1MX extremely well though I haven't purchased one, I'm afraid that it might wrinkle-beyond-belief during the interview day, anyone wear these with a suit before?

And Brooks Brother extra slim fit leaves too much room around the waist.

I've tried some Hugo Boss shirts on at Nordstrom's Rack, but it seemed like the back of the collar was 6 inches high, though I can't remember the exact cut/model of the one I tried on.

Anyone have any other ideas? And I definitely need the wide spread collar as the point collars are too narrow, along with my longer neck (no giraffe) and wide shoulders. It looks awkward and doesn't reach my lapels at all.

Also, is this grey too light or would it be better to get something darker? I'm dark-skinned (black) if that helps

8811bc1904a968fd6e879d222d339cf1_best.jpg


Actual color

ptaDY.jpg
 
Last edited:
I own a lot of 1 MX shirts (mostly in bright colors) and they're ok, they won't last very long and can't survive more than 5-6 washes without losing shape, but might be ok for interview season. Personally I'd go with Zara shirts, they make a slim-fit spread collar shirt that might just fit the bill. They have an online store now. I think the suit is fine.
 
Does anyone know where I can find a slim fit white oxford shirt with a wide spread collar for around $50?

I fit the Express 1MX extremely well though I haven't purchased one, I'm afraid that it might wrinkle-beyond-belief during the interview day, anyone wear these with a suit before?

And Brooks Brother extra slim fit leaves too much room around the waist.

I've tried some Hugo Boss shirts on at Nordstrom's Rack, but it seemed like the back of the collar was 6 inches high, though I can't remember the exact cut/model of the one I tried on.

Anyone have any other ideas? And I definitely need the wide spread collar as the point collars are too narrow, along with my longer neck (no giraffe) and wide shoulders. It looks awkward and doesn't reach my lapels at all.

Also, is this grey too light or would it be better to get something darker? I'm dark-skinned (black) if that helps

[/img]http://bim.shopstyle.com/pim/88/11/8811bc1904a968fd6e879d222d339cf1_best.jpg[/img]

Actual color

[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ptaDY.jpg[/IMG]

If you have a Nordstrom rack near you, they sell Nordstrom (rack) brand extra slim fit shirts in a variety of sizes, with a mid-wide collar. I love the shirts. $30 (35?), non-iron, relatively high quality, well fitted.
 
Serious question.

Are interview clothes really *this* crucial? I mean, I already have suits that I can wear, but this thread makes me feel like I need to put together something completely new and fresh.
 
Serious question.

Are interview clothes really *this* crucial? I mean, I already have suits that I can wear, but this thread makes me feel like I need to put together something completely new and fresh.

As long as you fall within the very bare minimum requirements (dark suit, shirt and tie, no sneakers, common sense), then technically no, it should not make or break you (although when I did interviews for my med school I was always immediately more impressed with an applicant when they were well dressed . . . however, it is also true that many interviewers are clueless when it comes to men's fashion and don't appreciate the difference between someone wearing a well-tailored suit and quality leather lace-up shoes and someone wearing a boxy black suit and slip-on Kenneth Coles).

There should be two main purposes to this thread:
1. Ensure that no one who visits this thread leaves thinking it's ok to just wear khakis and a shirt/tie or something crazy like a tophat or fedora or monocle. You'd think it's common sense, but you would be very, very surprised.

2. Perhaps more importantly, it's a way for people to discuss what they should be wearing if they want to actually look good/comfortable/professional in their interview attire. Like it or not, I and many others immediately start making judgements about someone wearing an ill-fitting black suit with awful shoes, button-down collar shirt, etc. People who arrive at interviews dressed well (and as we have seen on this thread, even this can be rather subjective) project an air of confidence and competence. They say "I know what I'm doing."

It's highly doubtful that, if you follow and understand the first purpose listed above, your clothes will cause you to have trouble gaining acceptance to med school or ranking highly at your residency program of choice. On the other hand, why wouldn't you want to look your best, and make it clear to everyone else that you can play the game the way it's supposed to be played.


95% of med school applicants and about 75% of residency applicants I met on the interview trails could be best represented with the following tried but true meme:

funny-science-news-experiments-memes-dog-science-fuzzy-logic.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Serious question.

Are interview clothes really *this* crucial? I mean, I already have suits that I can wear, but this thread makes me feel like I need to put together something completely new and fresh.

This question comes up like once a page on this thread.

The answer is yes, you are applying for a spot in professional school. Your main goals during the interview are to convince the interviewers that you are professional and personable. The image of professionalism is aided by your dress. If you can't even dress like a professional, how do you expect someone to think you can act like one?

Yes, professional dress is one of those weird "social constructs", but so are many things in life and in medicine. Deal with it.
 
This question comes up like once a page on this thread.

The answer is yes, you are applying for a spot in professional school. Your main goals during the interview are to convince the interviewers that you are professional and personable. The image of professionalism is aided by your dress. If you can't even dress like a professional, how do you expect someone to think you can act like one?

Yes, professional dress is one of those weird "social constructs", but so are many things in life and in medicine. Deal with it.

👍
 
Hey everyone,

I'm a tall, skinny guy who was measured for a shirt and found my sizes to be 16" neck and 36/37 sleeve. However, I can't find a decent priced, slim cut shirt. Any ideas of where to check? I saw Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, and others do a made to measure dress shirt, but they are $100-150...
Thanks for your help!
 
Hey everyone,

I'm a tall, skinny guy who was measured for a shirt and found my sizes to be 16" neck and 36/37 sleeve. However, I can't find a decent priced, slim cut shirt. Any ideas of where to check? I saw Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, and others do a made to measure dress shirt, but they are $100-150...
Thanks for your help!

What kind of build are you?

I'm 6'2 and 200lbs with the same measurements "16-16.5 and 36/37" and I like my shirts to fit tight to my body like this

iASet.png


I've found that Nordstrom's "Trim Fit" fits extremely well and can be had at Nordstrom's Rack for around $30-$40. Also at the rack you can find Tommy Hilfiger's Slim Fit shirts for around $40. If all else fails, you can go for an Express Extreme Slim Fit in a Large.

If you're willing to go to Kohl's, they sell Marc Anthony's line of Slim Fit shirts. They fit slim all over, even in the sleeves. Make sure you try on a 16.5-36/37 as they run a little tight on the neck. The only reason I sent these back was because their spread collar wasn't wide enough.

I was in the same boat as you and actually still am. My problem is that I need a wide enough spread collar to hit the lapels on my suit. All of the wide spread slim fits that I've tried on (other than Hugo Boss) have collars that fit and look like point-collars on my neck. Now I'm going to wait for my Express 1MX Extra Slim Fit spread collar shirts to get in and if the spread on the collar is wide enough, then I'll be a happy camper. If not, then I'll use the shirt measurements on the Express shirt and order a custom one from modertailor.com

Ahhh, we'll see in a week or so!
 
a bit of a problem here, i got a relatively new black suit from my dad that is probably too big chest size wise, but the length (shoulder and sleeves) is alright. it is a slim fit suit but it look like a bag (when i buttoned it i think i can fit maybe a women basketball between the suit and my belly when i put it on). will this come off as being unprofession? i also have a really pretty old grey suit with vertical stripes that actually fit me better but the styling is kinda outdated (old style trouser not those slim looking one). which one should i go with? or should i just go and buy another jacket
 
a bit of a problem here, i got a relatively new black suit from my dad that is probably too big chest size wise, but the length (shoulder and sleeves) is alright. it is a slim fit suit but it look like a bag (when i buttoned it i think i can fit maybe a women basketball between the suit and my belly when i put it on). will this come off as being unprofession? i also have a really pretty old grey suit with vertical stripes that actually fit me better but the styling is kinda outdated (old style trouser not those slim looking one). which one should i go with? or should i just go and buy another jacket

Well, you actually would want a full suit, so buying a new separate jacket should be out of the equation. Depending on how big your dad's suit is, you might be able to have the jacket taken in for about $40 at a tailor and it will fit closer to your body. Though if there is an extreme gap, then it might be more trouble than it's worth and you'd be better off with a different/new suit.

As for the old grey suit with stripes, it depends on how subtle the stripes are imo. If from far away the suit seems solid, but up close you can see the stripes, then that seems like it would be ok. But if the stripes make you look like a mobster, then I'd say it's a definite no.

And about the trousers being an "old style", if by that you mean they are wide legged, then you can fix that at a tailor as well for a small price.

Either way, it seems that both suits would need a bit of tailoring. If you can, please post some pics!

If you have the money though, as in you are not starving, then I'd buy a new suit and get it tailored.

Oh yeah and I'm not an expert on fashion, these are just my opinions. I'm sure other more knowledgeable guys can chime in.
 
What kind of build are you?

I'm 6'2 and 200lbs with the same measurements "16-16.5 and 36/37" and I like my shirts to fit tight to my body like this

iASet.png


I've found that Nordstrom's "Trim Fit" fits extremely well and can be had at Nordstrom's Rack for around $30-$40. Also at the rack you can find Tommy Hilfiger's Slim Fit shirts for around $40. If all else fails, you can go for an Express Extreme Slim Fit in a Large.

If you're willing to go to Kohl's, they sell Marc Anthony's line of Slim Fit shirts. They fit slim all over, even in the sleeves. Make sure you try on a 16.5-36/37 as they run a little tight on the neck. The only reason I sent these back was because their spread collar wasn't wide enough.

I was in the same boat as you and actually still am. My problem is that I need a wide enough spread collar to hit the lapels on my suit. All of the wide spread slim fits that I've tried on (other than Hugo Boss) have collars that fit and look like point-collars on my neck. Now I'm going to wait for my Express 1MX Extra Slim Fit spread collar shirts to get in and if the spread on the collar is wide enough, then I'll be a happy camper. If not, then I'll use the shirt measurements on the Express shirt and order a custom one from modertailor.com

Ahhh, we'll see in a week or so!

Stop wasting time and go to Brooks. Every man needs a nice suit...you'll have it your whole life and the sizing of your collar won't be an issue. They can make you a bigger collar if you need it. Other option is Joseph A Bank.
 
getting the suits fixed by a tailor is a pretty good idea. i will probably start looking tomorrow. here is a pic of the grey suit. is the stripes too much?
 
What kind of build are you?

I'm 6'2 and 200lbs with the same measurements "16-16.5 and 36/37" and I like my shirts to fit tight to my body like this

iASet.png


I've found that Nordstrom's "Trim Fit" fits extremely well and can be had at Nordstrom's Rack for around $30-$40. Also at the rack you can find Tommy Hilfiger's Slim Fit shirts for around $40. If all else fails, you can go for an Express Extreme Slim Fit in a Large.

If you're willing to go to Kohl's, they sell Marc Anthony's line of Slim Fit shirts. They fit slim all over, even in the sleeves. Make sure you try on a 16.5-36/37 as they run a little tight on the neck. The only reason I sent these back was because their spread collar wasn't wide enough.

I was in the same boat as you and actually still am. My problem is that I need a wide enough spread collar to hit the lapels on my suit. All of the wide spread slim fits that I've tried on (other than Hugo Boss) have collars that fit and look like point-collars on my neck. Now I'm going to wait for my Express 1MX Extra Slim Fit spread collar shirts to get in and if the spread on the collar is wide enough, then I'll be a happy camper. If not, then I'll use the shirt measurements on the Express shirt and order a custom one from modertailor.com

Ahhh, we'll see in a week or so!

Yeah that fit looks great, although I'm taller [6-4] and skinnier [180], so it probably wont be quite so "fitted" on me... I'll definitely check out those places you mentioned! Thanks!
 
Serious question.

Are interview clothes really *this* crucial? I mean, I already have suits that I can wear, but this thread makes me feel like I need to put together something completely new and fresh.

I highly doubt it, just stick to the basics. But, if you do have any questions about what to wear this is probably not the best place. Call me old fashioned, but some of these suggested clothes look too flashy.
 
Been trying Nordstrom rack for a light blue shirt and still haven't found one. It's been over a month. I really don't want to go to BR and pay $80 for a shirt.
 
Been trying Nordstrom rack for a light blue shirt and still haven't found one. It's been over a month. I really don't want to go to BR and pay $80 for a shirt.

Sign up for BR's emails, there's usually 30-40% coupons out there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
decided to invest on a new suit since the alteration is too much, where should i be looking if my budget is 200-350?
 
Too stripy? Pin stripes are an American classic. I personally don't think a little style is a disadvantage, I think people tend to be a bit too neurotic-unless NY is just different. I talked to ad com in NYC that was wearing a pretty flashy 3 piece shiny pinstripe suit.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile