Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If going with a charcoal suit and a light blue shirt, what color tie should I wear?

Also, I have interviews lined up in late August - should I go with the charcoal suit for those also or for a more fallish suit such as light gray? I guess I will be buying two of the same shirts to wear because I have interviews only 3 days apart first.

I think dark green can look great with a light blue shirt. This guy is very casual but you get the idea.

tumblr_llqfhqEPaC1qeuobqo1_500.jpg

Navy will work as well depending how light the shirt is.
tumblr_ljzhfyA7za1qhb7kho1_500.jpg

If you want a more "fall" look. Go with a medium grey wool tie.

218SLA_sm.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I think dark green can look great with a light blue shirt. This guy is very casual but you get the idea.

Navy will work as well depending how light the shirt is.
tumblr_ljzhfyA7za1qhb7kho1_500.jpg

If you want a more "fall" look. Go with a medium grey wool tie.

Ah perfect I love this look! Definitely going to go with the Navy tie. Do you happen to know what suit he is wearing? :)

Ah perfect I love this look! Definitely going to go with the Navy tie. Do you happen to know what suit he is wearing? :)

haha yeah. That is Etan Desu. He is wearing a bespoke P. Johnson suit i believe. The tie is Drake's. AKA stuff we can't afford.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nordstrom is actually having a sale on black AE Park Avenues, they're at $200. Normally $325, so it's a pretty great sale.

Merlot Park Avenues look amazing.

By the way, Brooks Brothers is having its rare Summer Clearance right now. 50% off of suits. If you want an EXCELLENT suit for a GREAT price (~250-600), go over to BB now!

They also just had/are having a huge sale on shirts (maybe even ties, if I recall correctly). Definitely worth the trip. I picked up enough shirts for the next 5-10 years. haha

They also just had/are having a huge sale on shirts (maybe even ties, if I recall correctly). Definitely worth the trip. I picked up enough shirts for the next 5-10 years. haha
Yeah I went over to look at their extra slim fit dress shirts, but the ones they had left in the store (and online, it turns out) were ugly. The nice ones are not on sale =(

By the way, Brooks Brothers is having its rare Summer Clearance right now. 50% off of suits. If you want an EXCELLENT suit for a GREAT price (~250-600), go over to BB now!

Hello from the girl's thread! My boyfriend mentioned this, so I just thought I'd share: JoS. A. Banks is also having a sale through Thursday, suits for $177 and you can get a second for $77.

Not as nice as Brooks Brothers, but still a good option for those looking for a deal!

I wish I found this thread earlier! (anyone else take advantage of that buy 1 suit get 1 free deal at Men's Wearhouse this past weekend?)

Any advice on wearing loafers vs lace-ups?

I wish I found this thread earlier! (anyone else take advantage of that buy 1 suit get 1 free deal at Men's Wearhouse this past weekend?)

Any advice on wearing loafers vs lace-ups?

Seriously? If you even just skim this thread you'll see that lace-ups are what you want to wear.

Hello from the girl's thread! My boyfriend mentioned this, so I just thought I'd share: JoS. A. Banks is also having a sale through Thursday, suits for $177 and you can get a second for $77.

Not as nice as Brooks Brothers, but still a good option for those looking for a deal!
Jos Bank suits are a good deal if they're had for 70% off of their "MSRP." (this deal comes along once every two-three months or so)

Their clothes are cut "Fat" so tailoring is necessary.

I don't have a ton of money and my dad likes 'Bank, so I own two of their suits, actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I went over to look at their extra slim fit dress shirts, but the ones they had left in the store (and online, it turns out) were ugly. The nice ones are not on sale =(

That really sucks, man. I went over the weekend of the 4th and they had all the "classic" shirts on sale. I think it was buy 4 or more and get 40% off each. It was awesome. At least they still have a good deal on suits.

Are there any deals coming up in the month of August? :)

Also, what are the opinions on a little bit of scruff? I like to keep it super short and I think it makes my face look better/more mature. Is it fine as long as it is very tidy and evenly cut?

Somewhat related, but what about deciding on glasses vs. contacts? I currently alternate between glasses and contacts from day to day so it is not really a permanent style. They are a pair of black Burberry frames, ones that just have the frame on top. Nothing special, but look decent in my opinion.

Is there any reason to go with glasses over contacts?

And I'll take it a step further: what about wearing glasses solely for the 'intellectual effect'? I got Lasik a few years ago, but before that I wore glasses for ~25 years. I actually got a bit nostalgic while ordering some glasses for my daughter and bought a pair of plain glass black wire frames. Thoughts on wearing them for interviews? I only mention the previous history of wearing glasses because I wouldn't be awkward with them on, all of the old habits come right back when they go on, so there wouldn't be any 'forced' vibe while I had them on.

Last edited:
And I dunno what the hate is with purple. I think a light grey shirt with a purple tie and a dark charcoal suit looks pretty sharp.

I think what people need to realize is that just because something looks sharp to you doesn't mean anyone else (or at least the interviewers) agrees...I'm not commenting on what you said, but making a general statement that I've seen throughout this thread.

There are customs and norms that define what looks good and what doesn't, and just because you think something looks sharp or fine or even passable, isn't what counts.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuXse0sIHsE[/YOUTUBE]

What about the suit on this guy (for a black male).

I think the grey with the purple undershirt looks really sharp

When choosing undershirts what colors should you avoid? And are pocket squares frowned upon?

When choosing undershirts what colors should you avoid? And are pocket squares frowned upon?

White undershirt. Avoid colors that are not white

PS is a little much for an interview. A well fitting suit and dress shirt with nice shoes will do a lot more for you than a PS will.

Last edited:

PS is a little much for an interview. A well fitting suit and dress shirt with nice shoes will do a lot more for you than a PS will.

I don't think your undershirt absolutely needs to be white, however, it is the more conservative choice. If you are uncertain at all about the color choice you are making for your undershirt and don't know how to color coordinate, do not gamble on colors. No one will think less of you for wearing a conservative suit/shirt/tie. However, if you gamble and it doesn't work people will begin to form an initial impression of you that would be less than desirable for an interview. With all this in mind, I always went with white.

I completely agree about the PS as well.

In order of preference:

1. White Undershirt
2. No Undershirt
3. Undershirt matching shirt color
4. Light grey

I wore a pocket square to all of my interviews. Usually a conservative white TV fold. (I think I did lavender for one interview).

:thumbup:

In order of preference:

1. White Undershirt
2. No Undershirt
3. Undershirt matching shirt color
4. Light grey

I wore a pocket square to all of my interviews. Usually a conservative white TV fold. (I think I did lavender for one interview).

:thumbup:

Welll I was thinking of doing a light grey suit, white shirt, lavender and black striped tie with paisely accents and a pocket square.

Welll I was thinking of doing a light grey suit, white shirt, lavender and black striped tie with paisely accents and a pocket square.
The tie sounds like it might be a little busy, but I doubt it. Is there any white in the tie? Black or lavender PS? Typically, you want to make sure to tie in at least one color of your tie into another part of the ensemble.

you know, I was watching the Obama and Boehner speeches the other night and think I've come up with a reasonable rule of thumb regarding interview clothing. the rule of thumb is, if what you are wearing is similar to something you would see the president or other US political leader wear for official business, then you've chosen excellent interview attire.

note the examples below and the things they all have in common:

- dark suit
- white or blue plain shirt
- simple tie

These guidelines have been the basis of professional attire for generations. You are wise not to stray from them as you interview to enter the medical profession (& will most likely be interviewing with faculty who are still familiar with these guidelines). Also - avoid red (power) ties, bold pinstriped suits and contrast collars. All of these are intended to subtly reflect power/influence, which is inappropriate for you to project in this setting.

The way to individualize yourself from the oodles other other dark-suit-clad individuals is with the details. Make sure your suit fits you perfectly. Look at Obama's suits... they are plain (albeit very expensive) but they are [likely] custom-made for his body, not boxy like you would find off the rack. Get your suit tailored and you will look distinguished, even in a $200 find from Macy's.

Second, perfect your knot skills. All you need is a four-in-hand, but make sure it's got a good dimple to it (notice all of the tie knots in the examples are well-formed with excellent dimples). The tie knot is very noticeable, and paying enough attention to form it well will, IMHO, reflect positively on you.

examples:

url

url

url

you know, I was watching the Obama and Boehner speeches the other night and think I've come up with a reasonable rule of thumb regarding interview clothing. the rule of thumb is, if what you are wearing is similar to something you would see the president or other US political leader wear for official business, then you've chosen excellent interview attire.

- dark suit
- simple tie

These guidelines have been the basis of professional attire for generations. You are wise not to stray from them as you interview to enter the medical profession (& will most likely be interviewing with faculty who are still familiar with these guidelines). Also - avoid red (power) ties, bold pinstriped suits and contrast collars. All of these are intended to subtly reflect power/influence, which is inappropriate for you to project in this setting.

The way to individualize yourself from the oodles other other dark-suit-clad individuals is with the details. Make sure your suit fits you perfectly. Look at Obama's suits... they are plain (albeit very expensive) but they are [likely] custom-made for his body, not boxy like you would find off the rack. Get your suit tailored and you will look distinguished, even in a $200 find from Macy's.

Second, perfect your knot skills. All you need is a four-in-hand, but make sure it's got a good dimple to it (notice all of the tie knots in the examples are well-formed with excellent dimples). The tie knot is very noticeable, and paying enough attention to form it well will, IMHO, reflect positively on you.

+1 on the tie dimple. So many people miss this.

I believe tie clips are unnecessary. Agree?

Also, why choose flat over pleated pants? Pleated gives a better fit and not as tight.

Also, why choose flat over pleated pants? Pleated gives a better fit and not as tight.

Pleats allow the fabric to drape in such a way as to minimize extra weight that the wearer may be carrying below the waist. For those who are not overweight, pleats are unnecessary and will only serve to add girth to the wearer's appearance.

Black wont kill you if it is what you already have.

If you are buying one get Navy or Charcoal.

No matter what you get have it tailored. Tell them you want almost to NO break in the pants.

Pleats allow the fabric to drape in such a way as to minimize extra weight that the wearer may be carrying below the waist. For those who are not overweight, pleats are unnecessary and will only serve to add girth to the wearer's appearance.

:thumbup: Pleats shouldn't always be avoided though. If you keep the pants trim and they have a low number of pleats (<2) they can look fine, especially when cuffed.

- dark suit
- simple tie

examples:

url

url

url
The thread could really end with this post.

Wear one on the back side of the tie where it isn't visible, especially when you won't have your jacket on. It keeps the tie from flapping up if it is windy or if you lean over someone.
On the Back? can't say i've seen that

No, you can wear them either way, I just don't like how they look on me, so I wear it behind. Serves the function without the tack.

Also, +1 on the avatar

Well i live in a place where it is rarely windy which might account for the lack of seeing them either way :laugh:

Also thanks. Kudos to you on the change.

Well i live in a place where it is rarely windy which might account for the lack of seeing them either way :laugh:

Also thanks. Kudos to you on the change.
It's been a long time coming. My go-to avatar guy is an intern now so he doesn't have time to make new ones for me. I had to just google one.

I didn't start wearing one until this year. I don't button my white coat and when I'd lean over a patient my tie would drape on them which is a no-no.

Provided the suit is tailored (the cut on that model doesn't have enough waist suppression which in this case simply means it doesn't give him the manly V-form), it should look fine. The tie is a little extroverted, but I wouldn't knock it.

- dark suit
- simple tie

examples:

Good post. Just remember that politicians choose their tie colors to make a statement. Similarly, it's a good idea to do the same and to avoid green and red, as a rule of thumb, in medical interviews.

I believe tie clips are unnecessary. Agree?

Tie clips are unnecessary in the interview setting. If you really don't want your tie flapping around, there are various tricks from paper clips, to bars and chains and tacks, to that one plastic dealy that they sold on TV for a while.

Flat pants are for fit people, they give a trimmer shape.

Very muscular and slightly overweight people can benefit from 1 pleat. Very overweight should use 2.

Most suits come with 2 pleats. It's fine, your jacket should be covering your waist anyway.

Black suits are fine if you already own one, there are definitely ways to dress-down a black suit. Don't wear a white shirt and black tie, that's the funeral look. Wear a shirt with some color (not eye-searing color though) and/or a tie with a color. I wore a forest green shirt and a tie with green and blue stripes.

Don't go too light on the gray, you don't want to veer too close to white.

Idk if anybody has mentioned the shoe rules yet: NEVER EVER wear brown shoes with a black suit, do wear chocolate brown shoes with a navy suit, it looks awesome. Blue shoes work best with gray suits, but you should try to find a sock that is darker than your pants but lighter than your shoes (that way the color flows from the pants to the shoes)

Pocket squares are good if you have some, but definitely not required. Fold them in squares, don't fluff them.

I believe the new slim suits are all flat front now, but if you're a bigger fella, pleats are the way to go. You can also find pleated suits with slim lapels if you want to more modern look. Your ties' width should also match the width of your lapels. Wider lapels = wider ties.

Lastly, I wouldn't recommend peak lapels unless it's a super-nice suit (>$1000) because it is more difficult to stitch. Some Express suits have peak lapels and they just don't fall right. For most of us, at our price range, I would stick with notch lapels.