Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dont know if both you and I are speaking the same language, but I'm speaking english. I've told you twice that I never told anyone to wear those shoes.

Second, u dont have to match pants with jacket. but that takes confidence
Whilst giving advice on buying clothes for interviews:
- Fourth, make a trip to your local shoe store (i.e. burlington coat factory, MJM...) and pick yourself a nice pair of dress shoes. I'm a big fan of point toed shoes (I'm a big fan of patented leather wing tipped shoes, but that is insignificant to my post ), since they are very classy. These should run you anywhere from 40-70 bucks.

Pretty sure you edited in the "insignificant to my post" part.

first, just because you wear suits doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. walk into any American business environment and you'll see that this is the case.

it is common knowledge that suit jackets and pants are to be of the same fabric. you seem to be confusing sport coats with suit coats. sport coats are not meant to be worn with matching pants and should be worn with pants which offset and contrast the color, pattern, and fabric of the coat. it is not as simple as pulling whatever jacket and pants you want off the rack, as your post would seem to suggest.

A suit matches, fabric, color, manufacturer, age. You buy it as a suit.

A sport coat is a coat. Typically you wear it with pants that do not "match" in really any of the above categories.

For an interview, you wear a suit.

Exactly.

lol at the sports coat guy.

On a more serious note, what kind of underwear (boxers, briefs, etc) should one wear? Any thoughts on going commando?

One thing to keep in mind... suit pants are cut differently and have lighter fabrics than most of the things you're used to wearing. The reason that's important is that, for me (I have a long rise), the wrong pants+underwear (or lack thereof) combination results in an effective peep show for people when I sit down. Just keep that in mind when going commando. Look at yourself in a mirror while sitting.

How often should dress shoes be polished? If it's not just aesthetic and helps protect the shoes, should you be doing it before every wear?

Members don't see this ad :)
How often should dress shoes be polished? If it's not just aesthetic and helps protect the shoes, should you be doing it before every wear?

Depends on the frequency of wear. If you wear them >= 3x/wk, then a weekly polish is a good idea. If you wear them less, you could get away with less frequent polishing. Also depends on the season - you take them out in inclement weather, salty sidewalks, etc. you will want to clean them more often to keep that stuff out of the leather.

Be sure to use shoe trees when storing. I also have some shoe bags that I store them in - handy to keep the dust off and for packing them prior to travel.

I'm getting a gray suit and was wondering what would be a good color choice for the shirt to go with it? I never feel comfortable wearing white, and 99% of the shirts, t-shirts and polos I wear are all in dark colors.

White or light blue are universally acceptable in the professional environment. Light pink is generally acceptable as well, though less common. Any of those three would look great with a gray suit.

White or light blue are universally acceptable in the professional environment. Light pink is generally acceptable as well, though less common. Any of those three would look great with a gray suit.

What about a navy suit with a light pink shirt and a navy and white tie white a white pocket square and chocolate shoes?

Depends on the frequency of wear. If you wear them >= 3x/wk, then a weekly polish is a good idea. If you wear them less, you could get away with less frequent polishing. Also depends on the season - you take them out in inclement weather, salty sidewalks, etc. you will want to clean them more often to keep that stuff out of the leather.

Be sure to use shoe trees when storing. I also have some shoe bags that I store them in - handy to keep the dust off and for packing them prior to travel.

Good point.

I lived in a dry climate, so I made sure to use oils and other lotions to help keep the leather nice. I prefer to polish when there are a good number of scuffs marring the finish.

I'm getting a gray suit and was wondering what would be a good color choice for the shirt to go with it? I never feel comfortable wearing white, and 99% of the shirts, t-shirts and polos I wear are all in dark colors.

Yep. Lavender (which looks like pink) also works.

What about a navy suit with a light pink shirt and a navy and white tie white a white pocket square and chocolate shoes?
Yeah that sounds good.

Ok, I'm going to ask the obvious question after scanning 200+ posts of pictures and opinions:

Does anyone really believe that excellent candidate won't get in due to the wrong color tie or shoes and a 2.8/23 is going to get in by wearing Armani??

Unless you look like you shopped at Walmart on your way there and got dressed at the truck stop I'd hope your ability to be a doctor is what they are looking at, not the choice of knots for your tie!

Ok, I'm going to ask the obvious question after scanning 200+ posts of pictures and opinions:

Does anyone really believe that excellent candidate won't get in due to the wrong color tie or shoes and a 2.8/23 is going to get in by wearing Armani??

Unless you look like you shopped at Walmart on your way there and got dressed at the truck stop I'd hope your ability to be a doctor is what they are looking at, not the choice of knots for your tie!

To me, the best reason to pay attention to all of these details is because, whether you like it or not, each piece of clothing you wear sends a message about who you are. Some elements are more obvious than others. For instance, think about these things and what they communicate:

Bold pinstripe suit: power
popped collar: prep
skater shoes + skinny jeans: hipster
etc.

These are extreme examples, but even the subtler things can communicate things about us. Some of the details will subtly communicate things to those you meet. An ill-fitting suit, crappy shoes and bad tie knot are all missed opportunities to demonstrate attention to detail and professionalism.

A lot of these details are things people won't consciously notice when they meet you, so they may end up not really affecting you very much. In the end, it's all about what you want to say about yourself. You can just go the easy route and ignore some of the details mentioned here, and that is OK - you will be like the vast majority of applicants out there. Or, you can use this as an opportunity to communicate your personality and professionalism to those around you, without even having to open your mouth.

The real fun comes when you get a solid handle on the general rules and then break them a little to suit your personality.

I think whatever is comfortable. I don't think I will wear a suit. Probably just a long sleeve dress shirt (no tie). Tie and suit makes me sweat in a warm climate.

I think whatever is comfortable. I don't think I will wear a suit. Probably just a long sleeve dress shirt (no tie). Tie and suit makes me sweat in a warm climate.

I havent seen anyone with that yet. At least people have a tie...

Don't buy Armani.

To me, the best reason to pay attention to all of these details is because, whether you like it or not, each piece of clothing you wear sends a message about who you are. Some elements are more obvious than others. For instance, think about these things and what they communicate:

Bold pinstripe suit: power
popped collar: prep
skater shoes + skinny jeans: hipster
etc.

These are extreme examples, but even the subtler things can communicate things about us. Some of the details will subtly communicate things to those you meet. An ill-fitting suit, crappy shoes and bad tie knot are all missed opportunities to demonstrate attention to detail and professionalism.

A lot of these details are things people won't consciously notice when they meet you, so they may end up not really affecting you very much. In the end, it's all about what you want to say about yourself. You can just go the easy route and ignore some of the details mentioned here, and that is OK - you will be like the vast majority of applicants out there. Or, you can use this as an opportunity to communicate your personality and professionalism to those around you, without even having to open your mouth.

The real fun comes when you get a solid handle on the general rules and then break them a little to suit your personality.

This is pretty much it. Clothes, whether people like it or not (shouldn't my merits be weighed, not my appearance?), say volumes about the wearer.

Do yourself and wear a suit and tie. It is expected. Your interviewers, depending on conservativeness, may feel insulted if you don't. I interviewed in several hot places in a suit--everyone was sweaty. If you really can't handle it, take off your jacket except before going into your interviews, which will almost certainly be in airconditioned rooms.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do yourself and wear a suit and tie. It is expected. Your interviewers, depending on conservativeness, may feel insulted if you don't. I interviewed in several hot places in a suit--everyone was sweaty. If you really can't handle it, take off your jacket except before going into your interviews, which will almost certainly be in airconditioned rooms.

I agree with this. Not to get nasty or anything, but if you think you're gonna sweat, you can also try trimming your armpit hair in advance. I go to school in a hot climate. It helps a surprising amount. :laugh:

Edit: Also, walk through as many air conditioned buildings as you can while going from place to place, drink very cold water/gatorade/etc when you can, and be careful not to exert yourself. You can probably make do.

I agree with this. Not to get nasty or anything, but if you think you're gonna sweat, you can also try trimming your armpit hair in advance. I go to school in a hot climate. It helps a surprising amount. :laugh:

Edit: Also, walk through as many air conditioned buildings as you can while going from place to place, drink very cold water/gatorade/etc when you can, and be careful not to exert yourself. You can probably make do.
I don't mean to sound argumentative, but the purpose of pubic hair (armpit and crotch) is, in summer, theorized to be air pockets which allow the evaporation of sweat in those areas (and insulation in winter). This is why trimming is, IMO/IME, preferable to shaving.

dont be the guy that stands out in a bad way at the interviews. one kid wore a sport coat with a tie and khakis.

Confession: I was dirt poor when I applied to medical school (years in I am somehow even more poor) And I went to my interviews in a suit that I found from scouring Goodwill for days.

OR MAYBE THEY HAD PITY ON MY I DUNNO

Can we get the ladies thread going?

Can the ladies post their photos here please?

Thanks.

Get your inspiration from here:
http://thearmoury.tumblr.com/

3888_alt1.jpg

I recommend the above shoes with any color suit. Navy suede is the new cool.

Last edited:
what accessories (if any) are appropriate for cold weather interviews? Would it be weird to show up wearing an overcoat?

what accessories (if any) are appropriate for cold weather interviews? Would it be weird to show up wearing an overcoat?

If it's a cold climate, they will definitely have a place to store your coat. If you're in the South and it's below 55 degrees F, they will let you store the coat in the office. You can wear an overcoat.

Overcoats are fine and recommended.

They are expensive, a good number of interviewees showed up in normal ol' puffy jackets. It looks silly, but you won't be criticized for it, provided you take it off when you get to the office.

Matters less where you buy the suit and more how it fits you.

To whoever asked about dress. If you are going to medical school people assume you are an adult and that means that you dress like an adult. Are they going to say "his pants were too long and tie too flashy"? No. But will they have a sense of immaturity, maybe, and then they will look for proof of it. Its a sub-conscious thing.

Matters less where you buy the suit and more how it fits you.

To whoever asked about dress. If you are going to medical school people assume you are an adult and that means that you dress like an adult. Are they going to say "his pants were too long and tie too flashy"? No. But will they have a sense of immaturity, maybe, and then they will look for proof of it. Its a sub-conscious thing.

This. I think that's the reason why the details are important when it comes to interview clothing. People do make sub-conscious judgments about their surroundings, including other people. Those judgments can easily factor into conscious decisions made later on.

Well we should make thread to gauge the accepted rate of navy suit vs. other colors. Anyway I can't afford another suit at the moment so I am gonna take a leap of faith and stick with black.

I got accepted with a black suit in my interview...whats wrong with looking formal, like an interview for a program you have worked your whole life for is not a formal meeting? Shooooooot.... Black looks classy, why not wear a boutonniere on the lapel too haha.

I've been religiously following these threads for a while now, but I have to say after doing some lurking, research and buying, I think I have found a favorite look:

eric-dane-stylist.jpg

Although he's on one of the most pathetic shows on TV, Eric Dane knows how to dress. Any objections to the gray suit, blue shirt and yellow tie? It may be due to the lighting, but I think light gray looks great and really pops with a nice blue shirt and yellow tie. Personally, I do not like the tie choice in this picture (think it should be a little deeper of a yellow). Regardless, this is what I plan on wearing for any upcoming banquets or interviews. Comments from the fashionisto/as?

the tie color is not my favorite. also I think he's got the sides taken in a bit too much. other than that, a winning combination.

I got accepted with a black suit in my interview...whats wrong with looking formal, like an interview for a program you have worked your whole life for is not a formal meeting? Shooooooot.... Black looks classy, why not wear a boutonniere on the lapel too haha.

to dental school, right?

the tie color is not my favorite. also I think he's got the sides taken in a bit too much. other than that, a winning combination.
I think he's pulling on the sides or otherwise in an awkward position. It probably looks fine normally.

I'm pretty sure the suit is a light navy/grey, I kinda like the khaki tie though; it may be cotton, which is a trend right now (albeit one that I like).

most people wear black. navy and charcoal are just more appropriate and will make you stand out.

Ya know, people always say this, but in my [limited] experience I see mostly navy and an assortment of grays (light, dark, charcoal). It's usually less than a 1/3rd in black.

Ya know, people always say this, but in my [limited] experience I see mostly navy and an assortment of grays (light, dark, charcoal). It's usually less than a 1/3rd in black.
Perhaps, I have no scientific data on the topic. But even if only 1/3 wear black it will still seem like more just because you can't really shade black, but blues and greys you can.

Ok, so I'm stingy and the only suit that I own is a hand-me-down from my dad. It fits fine, my only concern is that the pants are cuffed. What is the ruling on this? Maybe I'm just self-concious but to me it makes the pants seem like they're from the 1980's. What do you guys think?

Medium_Break.jpg

I have a pretty decent suit and a very light creamish color shirt and am considering doing a simple flat fold ps perhaps a shade darker than the shirt to break things up a bit. My main concern is with the tie; it seems people are advocating something which makes a statement, but not too loud. Any thoughts on whether the following is okay? Otherwise, I could easily get something more manageable.
tiee.jpg

Ok, so I'm stingy and the only suit that I own is a hand-me-down from my dad. It fits fine, my only concern is that the pants are cuffed. What is the ruling on this? Maybe I'm just self-concious but to me it makes the pants seem like they're from the 1980's. What do you guys think?

Medium_Break.jpg

Ugly.

How do you guys/girls think about a green (not too light, not too dark) with a striped tie that has a few different shades of blue? Too contrasting/distracting?

I've been religiously following these threads for a while now, but I have to say after doing some lurking, research and buying, I think I have found a favorite look:

eric-dane-stylist.jpg

Although he's on one of the most pathetic shows on TV, Eric Dane knows how to dress. Any objections to the gray suit, blue shirt and yellow tie? It may be due to the lighting, but I think light gray looks great and really pops with a nice blue shirt and yellow tie. Personally, I do not like the tie choice in this picture (think it should be a little deeper of a yellow). Regardless, this is what I plan on wearing for any upcoming banquets or interviews. Comments from the fashionisto/as?

It looks good. But tie should be navy with white tiny pin dots. And white pocket square in linen. The suit hasn't been taken in too much. As long as buttons aren't being pulled, it is the correct amount of tailoring. This is the more European feeling about how a suit should fit. It may also just appear that way because his armpit is high up. High armscyes (armpits) may seem constricting. But if you've never been in a suit that fits perfectly, you have no idea how much more range of motion you get when your sleeves rotate at your arm's natural pivot point. American suits with the low saggy armpits move like you're wearing a poncho: lift your arms and your entire suit moves with it tugging and moving everywhere else.

In the end, high armpits make you look like a human body ("look, a torso and two arms"). The reason why American suits are called "sack" suits is because they make you look like a sack of potatoes.

Magneto scene was immaculate:
x-men-first-class-fassbender-060211-xlg.jpg

Dark purple is often ignored by stupid humans. Mutants sure know how to dress:
x-men-first-class-style-060211-xlg.jpg

Last edited:
noob question here.... undershirts!!

Is an undershirt necessary? I will be wearing a light blue dress shirt and a grey suit. I will be indoors most of the day, but it will be pretty hot outside (85+ degrees).

Pros/cons to undershirt? Thanks for any replies :)

Is an undershirt necessary? I will be wearing a light blue dress shirt and a grey suit. I will be indoors most of the day, but it will be pretty hot outside (85+ degrees).

Depending on the shirt material, a light blue undershirt is still semi permeable to the under layer, so i would always wear one in case. Also, an undershirt can protect the dress shirt from intermediate sweat stains if you are a type of person who does sweat a little

"Fashions fade, style is eternal.” - Yves Saint Laurent

this sounds stupid, but I think it's really true. It doesn't matter how expensive/nice your suit/tie combo is. It's about the confidence you have and how comfortable you feel in your clothes.

Medium_Break.jpg

Well there are a few ways to answer that. Sartorially? Cuffs are designed for taller/portly men. The current/recent trends, however, have been for cuff-less pants. If you are uncomfortable with the cuff, get it tailored. Shouldn't cost too much. You want to be confident when you go in for an interview.

Before you go though, read a few articles from somewhere like GQ to get an idea of what you want your look to be.

This. I think that's the reason why the details are important when it comes to interview clothing. People do make sub-conscious judgments about their surroundings, including other people. Those judgments can easily factor into conscious decisions made later on.

How do I say this nicely..hmm..this is pre-med BS.

Yes, people judge you and If you look like crap they will notice, same if you smell.

But I have interviewed hundreds of people in the last decade for jobs (most in the $60-75k/yr range) and 24 hours after the interview I couldn't tell you candidate's tie color if my life was on the line. Though I might remember if you didn't wear one.

You want to look like you belong, but nobody is going to say "he would make a great Dr, but that black suit just didn't hang right on him, send him packing"

Look nice, relax and most importantly remember they want to know what kind of physician you will be, not if you know which color tie makes people think happy thoughts.

PS: to clarify I wear a shirt/tie to work everyday. I will be wearing my charcoal suit and one of a couple shirt/tie combos depending on my mood when I pack.

you want to wear an undershirt especially if it is hot outside. would you rather get sweat stains on your $5 undershirt or $55 dress shirt?