Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wore this to my interviews. The cufflinks and purple accents were what sold it to the dean.
extrovert_doc_1.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

What do you guys think about this tie with a sold light blue shirt and charcoal suit?
geoffrey-beene-green-zanzibar-plaid-tie-product-1-19820363-0-511502424-normal.jpeg

I have a pair of these that I use at formal events, but are these too flashy for an interview?
Particularly talking about the thick sole and gold lettering on the heal.
1759413.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think about this tie with a sold light blue shirt and charcoal suit?
geoffrey-beene-green-zanzibar-plaid-tie-product-1-19820363-0-511502424-normal.jpeg

No. That tie is gaudy as fak. You want a simple solid or a neat.

I have a pair of these that I use at formal events, but are these too flashy for an interview?
1759413.jpg

Do not wear those shoes for an interview. They're derbies, which is okay I guess, but the contrast welt and weird sole make them casual shoes.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd love to wear my fitted navy suit with brown Aldo shoes and belt, but think I'm going to go more conservative instead, so charcoal suit.

question is, are the brown shoes and belt still too flashy? I can easily go black if so, just don't want to stand out in a bad way. just play it safe and go black shoes and belt?

sorry if it's been answered. tried searching the thread.

Are pinstripe suits alright?
I'd say no
I'd love to wear my fitted navy suit with brown Aldo shoes and belt, but think I'm going to go more conservative instead, so charcoal suit.

question is, are the brown shoes and belt still too flashy? I can easily go black if so, just don't want to stand out in a bad way. just play it safe and go black shoes and belt?

sorry if it's been answered. tried searching the thread.

Navy is conservative, however, if by fitted you mean, it's too small, then no don't wear it.

Brown shoes are fine. I'm planning on wearing brown, burgundy, or black depending on which schools I'm going to and how I feel.

Are pinstripe suits alright?

Pinstripes are fine so long as you do not look like a banker. And if it's navy pinstripe, make sure the fabric doesn't look 'cheap' -- a cheap navy pinstripe suit often looks it. (More so than most other fabrics.)

Pinstripes are fine so long as you do not look like a banker. And if it's navy pinstripe, make sure the fabric doesn't look 'cheap' -- a cheap navy pinstripe suit often looks it. (More so than most other fabrics.)
haha yikes. Looks like I'll have to buy a couple of suits then. thanks for the info! :D

From the pages I've read on here, I haven't seen anyone mention a thing about tan suits. Why?

I would recommend staying away from pinstripes/chalkstripes/self-stripes if possible. I like them, but I think there are better options for interviews with conservative interviews. They can be done right, but it's VERY hit or miss.

Sharkskin/birdseye/etc should be fine. A super fine herringbone might be okay as well, but why bother. Just get a navy/charcoal suit and be done with it.

Tan/khaki suits are not formal at all. They're casual summer suits. They should not be worn to an interview.

I am going to go old school and play it safe with the normal suit attire.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say no

Navy is conservative, however, if by fitted you mean, it's too small, then no don't wear it.

Brown shoes are fine. I'm planning on wearing brown, burgundy, or black depending on which schools I'm going to and how I feel.

appreciate the answer, but in what world does fitted mean too small? lol. I'd say there's a pretty huge difference between a small suit and a well-tailored suit.

appreciate the answer, but in what world does fitted mean too small? lol. I'd say there's a pretty huge difference between a small suit and a well-tailored suit.

In the world where 'slim fit' suits are trendy and people think that jackets that x-brace at the buttoning point are the epitome of style.

Hey guys. I'm gonna be wearing a charcoal suit, white shirt, navy grenadine tie, and brown belt/wingtips. Would wearing those shoes be gauche? I really don't feel like shelling out money for black captoes and my only other pair are merlot wingtips

Nothing wrong with merlot, but I think wingtips are slightly too casual. You could do far worse if you had to, though I'd suggest captoes if possible. If you have a light blue shirt, then wear that instead, but white is fine too.

That tie is gorgeous btw as is most of Hober's stuff.

In the world where 'slim fit' suits are trendy and people think that jackets that x-brace at the buttoning point are the epitome of style.

lmao. I can agree with that. and fortunately, no, I do not mean that at all haha.

Too fashion/casual? (White shirt of course)

cn8194515.jpg

Fabric is okay, lapels are too fashion-y (look like weird peak lapels). Also, my preference is for a light blue shirt with almost everything. It makes you look much better and doesn't make you look pale (if you're white). White is acceptable, but a pale blue shirt will look better 99% of the time.

If you don't own it already, don't buy it. Honestly, people can do pretty well with a suit from H&M/Uniqlo if it fits well. If you're a 38R (32x32 pants), then get at me. I outgrew my charcoal suit and want to unload it for cheap.

Last edited:
1759413.jpg

Common Projects Shine Derby's are strictly a casual shoe. It may give you an edge in an outfit if you were interviewing for a design firm, but something as traditional as job/school interviews require oxfords. I commend your taste though. Red wing also makes a similar shoe which I believe gave the inspiration for Common Projects to make this shoe.

Common Projects Shine Derby's are strictly a casual shoe. It may give you an edge in an outfit if you were interviewing for a design firm, but something as traditional as job/school interviews require oxfords. I commend your taste though. Red wing also makes a similar shoe which I believe gave the inspiration for Common Projects to make this shoe.

Thanks, that seems to be the consensus so far!
Love these shoes because they are ultra comfortable, but yeah they are a little casual.

I just got my first II and am not prepared for it at all lol. Anyone have any good resources I can look at like what companies I should go to for a good suit that will not break the bank?

What is the most subdued possible look? Dark navy suit, solid white shirt, solid dark grey regular tie, simple unadorned black dress shoes, simple black belt, no watch?
With a navy suit you'll probably want brown shoes and tie.

With a navy suit you'll probably want brown shoes and tie.

never been a huge fan of the brown tie myself, feel like it's overkill. I'd go brown shoes, brown belt, brown leather band watch, grey/navy/gold etc. tie, depending on shirt color. that's just me though.

never been a huge fan of the brown tie myself, feel like it's overkill. I'd go brown shoes, brown belt, brown leather band watch, grey/navy/gold etc. tie, depending on shirt color. that's just me though.
Wow, I did not mean to say tie. I meant brown shoes and belt. That's what happens when you post in the morning when no one should be awake. Yes, do not wear a brown tie.

Reactions: 1 users
I just saw a fellowship group interviewing at my shop for a spot the other day. I took a few min to take it all in and give them a critical look with regard to attire. 12 men and women, all nondescript clones. Navy or grey plain suit, white or blue shirt, boring tie, black shoes. A couple were noticeably ill fitting. :(
Dare to be different.

P.S. If you're borderline obese and wear a properly fitted suit, you look professional and put together, if you wear an untailored suit, you look like you're wearing a circus tent and draw attention to your weight problem, actually looking fatter than you probably are. A lesson one candidate could have benefitted from.

Last edited:
What is the most subdued possible look? Dark navy suit, solid white shirt, solid dark grey regular tie, simple unadorned black dress shoes, simple black belt, no watch?

Why would you want that? (Unless you're trying to not be noticed...) Your goal is to look like a professional person with good judgement. A professional person with good judgement would wear a navy or charcoal suit, white or light blue shirt, and a nice tie that isn't obnoxious or BORING. Shoes and belt can be brown, black or oxblood and should probably match. Watch is entirely optional. If you have one that is nice but not flashy, fine; if you don't, don't buy one for the interview.

Skype interviews:

i3Ke0Ov.jpg

Why would you want that? (Unless you're trying to not be noticed...) Your goal is to look like a professional person with good judgement. A professional person with good judgement would wear a navy or charcoal suit, white or light blue shirt, and a nice tie that isn't obnoxious or BORING. Shoes and belt can be brown, black or oxblood and should probably match. Watch is entirely optional. If you have one that is nice but not flashy, fine; if you don't, don't buy one for the interview.

No offense to you, but you really don't seem to understand mens formal dress. The look below sounds completely fit for this purpose if the point is to dress professionally. I would suggest a light blue shirt instead because I prefer those and perhaps a different tie since grey is a weird color for the tie. Plain black shoes are captoes, not plain toe bluchers. Watches are fine as long as they're not those gaudy oversized things or dive watches etc.

Men's formal dress is a function of tailoring, drape, and fabric. This isn't about putting together a crazy awesome outfit. Most that try to do that will fail.

You seem to have the jist of it though allre.

No offense to you, but you really don't seem to understand mens formal dress. The look below sounds completely fit for this purpose if the point is to dress professionally. I would suggest a light blue shirt instead because I prefer those and perhaps a different tie since grey is a weird color for the tie. Plain black shoes are captoes, not plain toe bluchers. Watches are fine as long as they're not those gaudy oversized things or dive watches etc.

Men's formal dress is a function of tailoring, drape, and fabric. This isn't about putting together a crazy awesome outfit. Most that try to do that will fail.

You seem to have the jist of it though allre.

I think we're in agreement, actually. Just that the stated goal of "the most subdued possible" should really be "the most appropriate". It was mainly the idea of a grey tie -- a lovely burgundy grenadine or textured silk would be so much nicer!

http://www.kentwang.com/grenadine-burgundy.html
http://www.amazon.com/100-Woven-Burgundy-Solid-Textured/dp/B0069W5KTY

Go for the Black, Brown, Grey, or Navy Blue suit. Always go in over-dressed than under-dressed.

Thoughts on this shirt?
6446.jpg

Thinking about a patterned tie (will not be striped) or a solid tie.
@DokterMom

Does that shirt have a white collar? The CM ruler makes it look very European... Personally, I LOVE that look, but it's not me you're trying to impress! For your med school interview, I think that shirt might be a bit too bold, especially if you've got all the other accoutrements to pull off the upscale-Eurpoean look that goes with it. (French cuffs, silk knot cuff links, perfect tailoring...)

Much as I love it, I'd suggest for this purpose, you go quieter...

Does that shirt have a white collar? The CM ruler makes it look very European... Personally, I LOVE that look, but it's not me you're trying to impress! For your med school interview, I think that shirt might be a bit too bold, especially if you've got all the other accoutrements to pull off the upscale-Eurpoean look that goes with it. (French cuffs, silk knot cuff links, perfect tailoring...)

Much as I love it, I'd suggest for this purpose, you go quieter...
Ahh thank you! It doesn't have a white collar. I don't have French cuffs or cuff links to go with the shirt, but the suit will be tailored. It's just this is my most tailored shirt and I really like the collar on it. Alas I'll look for a plain white, tailored shirt then.

Also, what are your thoughts on a plain white, silk pocket square in a square fold? I'm a big fan of pocket squares, but I'm not sure if it's too bold?

Your shirt doesn't have to be a "plain white tailored" one. There is something between that and wide chalk stripes. :p

The pocket square is supposed to complement your shirt and tie, not exactly match them, BTW.

Is it a good idea to start looking at suits/tailoring/etc. right now, even though I haven't received interviews yet?

It's a good idea. Finding the right suit (at a good price) and having it tailored takes time.

Not if this belongs here but: what about facial hair? Would a nicely trimmed goatee be ok?

Not if this belongs here but: what about facial hair? Would a nicely trimmed goatee be ok?

From my year in medical school: A large majority of people won't care but a small minority of faculty have strong opinions on the facial hair and professionalism. Its unlikely to matter.

Yeah, I've had a beard for the majority of the last few years and don't plan on shaving it. I have a lot of scars on my face as well so it helps make those a bit less noticeable.

I just bought two awesome suits 2nd hand. One's navy and the other is grey, although a bit light. Planning to take them both in to get altered on saturday. Also have a third suit where the jacket is a bit too tight. Going to see if it makes sense to have the chest let out on that one. It's a really heavy wool, so it'd only be good for fall interviews anyway so no worries.

my advice for those who are strapped on cash is to buy a cheap suit, but don't skimp on the tailor. a good tailor can make a cheap suit look great. go that route if you must.

my advice for those who are strapped on cash is to buy a cheap suit, but don't skimp on the tailor. a good tailor can make a cheap suit look great. go that route if you must.

Or if it doesn't give you the creeps, a really good but used suit. You can find them on ebay for around $50 and spend some of the savings on tailoring and dry cleaning. You'll have a suit that will serve you well for years.

I'm stuck with separates because of my proportions

It would be very unusual for a guy to have a discrepancy so large that a good tailor couldn't fix it.
In any case, it would be a big mistake to wear slacks and a blazer instead of a matching suit.

Lots of companies these days sell suit separates (j crew, jos a banks, most dept store brands, even brooks brothers is dabbling in it in their lower end stuff). Also some of the online MTM companies will obviously adjust the sizing from the standard 6-7 inch drop.

I don't think he meant blazer/slacks, but rather suit separates.

Yeah suit separates; once you get past 4-6 inches altering pants becomes quite the task. The belt loops, crotch, girth of the actual leg, etc. Its doable, at a cost. Separates make altering a much simpler task.

Found a pretty good set of calvin klein black micro-pinstripes, the suit separate market is pretty limited though.

Is it an issue of too much drop or not enough? Some suit lines have a more drastic drop than others
Some of the athletic cuts might work for you. At my biggest, I was a 48L with a 34 waist. Many suits are clearly cut with fatties in mind at that jacket size. I settled into 46/36 for a long while now I'm back up to 48 with my last suit. I'd like to think it was all muscle, but if I lost 10 or 15 pounds, I bet I could squeeze into a 46.