Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't wear red ties to an interview.

Oh god, please don't tell me you think that's a thing.

I'd like to think SDN is smarter than that. I cringe every time I hear some idiotic "power tie" comment.

I'd be far more offended by most of your suits' color/fit and shoe choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users

I'd like to think SDN is smarter than that. I cringe every time I hear some idiotic "power tie" comment.
Lemme ask:

How many ego manic doctors are there?
What happens if your interviewer does think that is a thing?

I rest my case.

Lemme ask:

I rest my case.

facepalm.jpg

On the plus side, maybe this egomaniacal interviewer will be too busy scowling at your tie to notice your square-toed Kenneth Coles and your dad's black sack suit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo...

From what I gathered earlier in the thread... something like this is always a no-go?

c1eaf20abfad74d6fa65c5329884b589.jpg

Thanks!

Sooo...

From what I gathered earlier in the thread... something like this is always a no-go?

Thanks!

I work in a clothing company specializing in mens business clothing. We're trained in what's appropriate to wear for certain types events. This really looks pretty reasonable for an interview look. The only thing I would recommend is changing to a white shirt and the pocket square is a little over doing it. Other than that it looks great!

DO NOT WEAR A SUIT WITH PEAK LAPELS TO A MED SCHOOL INTERVIEW!

The color of the suit is fine. Additionally, white shirts usually look okay, but light blue shirts look better 90% of the time.

You cannot see how high those boots are with your slacks covering them.

Exactly you still get the high ankle support and BAMF feeling, while still coming off as formal chic

I'd be far more offended by most of your suits' color/fit and shoe choice.

Lemme ask:

I rest my case.

facepalm.jpg

On the plus side, maybe this egomaniacal interviewer will be too busy scowling at your tie to notice your square-toed Kenneth Coles and your dad's black sack suit.

During an interview, such as one for med school, the point is to look well put together but speak for yourself instead of trying to get your clothes to speak for you. Anything that attracts undue attention i.e. red ties, spectator shoes, bright socks, bright pocket square, etc, is taking away from you.

Regarding black suits: One of the organizers for the pritzker interview made fun of everyone wearing a serious black suit when my coworker went to his interview.

And regarding all the people wearing size zip boots, etc, you can't tell when you're standing, but the tops of your boots might be visible. When I think of dress boots, I think alone the lines of AE fifth street boots, i.e. a simple balmoral boot. You want to dress in a way in which no one has strong opinions about your choice and can't really criticize anything. For that reason, I think oxblood or black shoes lace ups are probably the safest bet.

I saw someone wear a pair of spectators to a fellowship interview here. I thought they were great shoes, but I wanted to slap him. Monk straps/double monks are the same for me. I think they're great formal shoes, but not everyone agrees. Buckles and shiny zips etc take away from the formality of a shoe.

Also, horsebit loafers. Oh god no... I'd say loafers are a no in general, but they're pretty ubiquitous in the hallowed halls around here. I still wouldn't wear them.

Sooo...

Thanks!

Suit seems fine. Hate that tie though.
If you're new to suits, go for a white/blue shirt and ditch the PS.

Reactions: 1 user
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1398796446.905903.jpg

Have a suit of similar color and striping as this. It's was given to me as a gift from Italy. I would like to wear this to interviews but want some opinions on it first.

I would NOT wear a tie like such in the picture. Shirt options I was thinking nice white or a light blue. Tie is up in the air but I'd prefer to keep it simple and clean.

View attachment 180790

Have a suit of similar color and striping as this. It's was given to me as a gift from Italy. I would like to wear this to interviews but want some opinions on it first.

I would NOT wear a tie like such in the picture. Shirt options I was thinking nice white or a light blue. Tie is up in the air but I'd prefer to keep it simple and clean.

Personally, would not wear a suit with pin stripes to an interview in medicine unless you are interviewing for an attending job.

View attachment 180790

I dunno why, but it looks a little gaudy. Maybe it's just the tie, but personally I would stick with a solid color for the interview. It doesn't have to be an amazeballs suit, just something presentable. You can usually find something cheap that will last you at least through the interview season from J. Crew Factory or some other similar outlet.

View attachment 180790

rock the contrast collar!

Members don't see this ad :)
Peak lapels are awesome.

However, like pinstripes, they are not appropriate for an interview suit where the purpose of the outfit is to look well put together as opposed to attention getting. Peak lapels stand out.

Besides I think peak lapels look way better on double breasted jackets, but that's besides the point.

I also love tweed and own a bunch of tweed sportcoats, but I'd never wear a tweed suit to an interview. I wear pocket squares regularly, but I'd never wear anything but a TV fold white linen one to an interview. I love gingham shirts and wear them with suits or odd jackets/sportcoats and ties, but I also wouldn't wear them to an interview.

Is my point coming across or should I go on?

Point is that different fabrics, patterns, etc have different levels of formality and even if you disregard that, which you shouldn't, thinks like chalk/pinstripes, peak lapels, etc are attention getting. An interview is not the place to show off your fashion sense or lack thereof.

They just look horrible. And I've never seen them on a suit that was bought at a reasonable store, only at somewhere tacky like express.

I would say that is incorrect depending on what your definition of a reasonable store is. The best suitmakers make suits with peak lapels. I would argue that they are tacky for an interview of this nature.

Peak lapels are a more of an italian than american styling for suits. American sensibilities include them on tuxedos.

Who cares about the peaked lapels?

People that know a thing or two about menswear.

Last edited:
rule of thumb: if Brooks Brothers doesn't make something similar it's not appropriate for an interview.

There you have it --

Moderately-peaked lapels are forgivable if everything else is right. They're generally not so 'in-your-face' ostentatious that many people would notice. But if you have a choice, peaked lapels shouldn't be your first choice.
Boots I would not do -- even dress cowboy boots in Texas. (Most Ad Coms, even in TX, are not fans of Rick Perry)
Purple shirts and plaid ties -- almost always ugly, so avoid them for that reason if no other.
Red ties? -- Donald Trump red satin is WRONG; Brooks Brothers Burgundy in a textured weave or with a stripe or small pattern is a classic.
Black suits? -- Funeral or Night Club. Not medical school.
Chalk Stripes? -- Wall Street.

I think everyone is overblowing the importance of suiting. Yes, you have to look professional and put together, but black vs. navy, or monkstraps vs. laced, who cares. Find me a quote from someone who does interviews where it says they were affected by the kind of suit an applicant wore.

I think everyone is overblowing the importance of suiting. Yes, you have to look professional and put together, but black vs. navy, or monkstraps vs. laced, who cares. Find me a quote from someone who does interviews where it says they were affected by the kind of suit an applicant wore.

It's subconscious bias. Find me a quote where they say that attractiveness played a role. You won't find one, but numerous studies show that it matters.

Reactions: 3 users
Read further back in the thread. This has been discussed. No one is saying "you won't get into medical school if you wear a black suit." That would be silly. But this is a website where people go for advice on how to optimize their chances, so why wouldn't we give advice on how to dress optimally? When someone asks how to improve their GPA, you tell them how to study for a 4.0. Are they going to pull it off? Probably not, but you're giving them an ideal to shoot for. No one here is saying you need to go get an Oxxford suit made, but maybe the dude who was going to buy an interview suit this weekend checks this thread and realizes he should steer clear of the Men in Black look.

Also most of the advice here is applicable for interviews and other formal events beyond the admissions cycle, and it doesn't hurt to be informed for such occasions.

Last edited:

Suiting refers to the fabric that suits are cut from, not the suit itself btw.

Regarding the rest of your post, you're missing the point.

The point is to stand out for your application and thoughts, not for some ostentatious clothing choices. I completely agree with the poster that stated that you shouldn't wear something that BB doesn't make with the caveat that everything they make is not interview appropriate. I was going to make the comment that BB doesn't make peaked lapel suits other than tuxes but realized that J. Press, another american trad staple, does make them so figured it was moot.

I frankly don't care how you dress. In fact, if I see people dressed like GQ-wannabe's then I'll laugh, because all it takes is ONE high ranking interviewer who has an opinion on this kind of stuff to find a reason to dislike them.

Also, try not to buy a suit that's too big or small for you. Button only the top button of a 2 button suit. Avoid 3 button suits unless they're 3-roll-2, in which case button only the middle button. Spend the money to have a tailor fix your suit if you need to have it done. Your pants shouldn't puddle on the floor and with your arms at your side you should show a sliver of your shirt sleeve past your suit sleeve. If you button the suit button and your suit has an 'x-brace' and looks like it's pulling, then it's too small. You should be able to just about fit your fist in front of your stomach at the buttoning point.

Avoid pleated pants, especially if you're tall and skinny. If you're short and slightly stout, then it might not be a bad idea to have them them depending on how flat front pants fit on you.

For ties, avoid shiny satin finishes. Like another poster said, red is a no, but a more tame burgundy is awesome. Bonus points if it's grenadine or faux grenadine. Repp stripes are okay as long as they're not gaudy. Neat patterns are great.
Practice tying a knot. A four-in-hand, a double four in hand, a half windsor, or a pratt knot are all acceptable, but my preference is for the first two. Full windsors are blah. And the first two knots will work for 95% of all situations including a med school interview.

I work with a LOT of doctors. Most of them dress like crap. I think surgeons dress better than medicine folks, in my experience. However, it's important to remember that you should not out dress your interviewer. That looks bad as well.

On that note:
-No vests
-no bow ties
-no bright socks (match to pants),
-simple watch if you're wearing one preferably with a leather strap. No watch is better than an ostentatious one. I'm thinking of picking up a formal watch for interviews since I think that my daily watch is bit much although it's reasonable.

What are your thoughts on the micro pin stripes. I have several of those and I greatly prefer them to solid on my frame.

You're an attending it seems. I think you can wear whatever you want, but if you're interested in looking better for what you have then make sure the stuff actually fits. My old boss is a super super super nice guy, but he always wore these awful gigantic unvented suits that were 5 sizes too big for him.

A good tailor is worth their weight in gold. A few simple alterations can make an inexpensive suit look like it was just about made for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Read farther back in the thread. This has been discussed. No one is saying "you won't get into medical school if you wear a black suit." That would be silly. But this is a website where people go for advice on how to optimize their chances, so why wouldn't we give advice on how to dress optimally? When someone asks how to improve their GPA, you tell them how to study for a 4.0. Are they going to pull it off? Probably not, but you're giving them an ideal to shoot for. No one here is saying you need to go get an Oxxford suit made, but maybe the dude who was going to buy an interview suit this weekend checks this thread and realizes he should steer clear of the Men in Black look.

Also most if the advice here is applicable for interviews and other formal events beyond the admissions cycle, and it doesn't hurt to be informed for such occasions.

I have a 100% cashmere oxxford sport coat. It is beautiful. I want to sleep in it...

One of my friends was going to fellowship interviews and was complaining about wanting to buy a zegna suit for it. I made fun of him for being a label ***** and gifted him the ugliest zegna tie in the universe that I found on a close out somewhere. It's an abomination.

Since you mentioned buying suits... I think people should also stay away from suits that have a high polyester content. They look cheap and shiny and blah.

Regarding shirt collars... I honestly don't have a strong opinion on this, but I think that a spread/semi spread collar is preferable to an oxford button down collar. The latter is formal enough in the US though, but if you're buying a shirt, go for the former. Uniqlo has good shirts that are are pretty inexpensive actually. I'd avoid buying club collars and cutaway collars as well. Point collars are okay if that's all you have, but spread collars look much much better.

H&M suit, red tie from Marshalls, cheap shoes from JC Penney is the way to go. You're welcome everyone!

The best part about that is some H&M suits actually look half decent if they fit you well. Especially for the cost!
Otherwise, that was a pretty fail troll attempt tbh.

I am on the thin side, so the H&M suit looks pretty good.

The best part about that is some H&M suits actually look half decent if they fit you well. Especially for the cost!
Otherwise, that was a pretty fail troll attempt tbh.

It was $100 and I couldn't tell the difference between my suit and everyone else's. I would say it's worth it if it fits you. It might not last past a year though lol

Honestly, what matters the most for an interview is that the styling and color are conservative and that it fits you well. That's just about it.

I don't really like the styling of their suits for more formal things like interviews, but think for casual wear/summer weddings etc, their stuff is perfect. The lapel notch is too high and the lapels are too narrow, which is part of the stupid slim fit undersized look right now. If you're skinny and the jacket isn't stupid tight on you, it can look good. I used to be a waif in college when I bike raced at 145 lbs (5'10), but now weigh like 165 and look awful in that styling.

I really enjoy menswear stuff, but I'm not rich and have a tiny closet so I keep things pretty limited and buy things from consignment stores/online closeouts etc. I started lifting again after recovering from surgery over the last year. I outgrew a couple of my nicest blazers and sport coats already. A few others are going to need alterations and I need to decide if it's going to be worth it or not...

How about French cuffs, with cuff links that say "pre" and "med". Let them know you're serious.

Don't wear red ties to an interview.

Nobody's offended by anything anybody wears to an interview unless it says "White people are dumb, suck a d***."

They might think you look like an idiot, but nobody's offended.

As such, nobody's going to give 2 shi*s about your tie color.

DO NOT WEAR A SUIT WITH PEAK LAPELS TO A MED SCHOOL INTERVIEW!

The color of the suit is fine. Additionally, white shirts usually look okay, but light blue shirts look better 90% of the time.

I did. 4 acceptances. Nobody gives a shi*.

I did. 4 acceptances. Nobody gives a shi*.

You're missing the point. See above for rationale. People get in after doing all sorts of things. Does that mean what you did was a good idea? Nope.
Glad you got in though.

My advice is for people to look put together without looking ostentatious or ridiculous. What you were wearing was not appropriate interview attire. This is not to say that you didn't look put together/whatever, but it was not appropriate for an interview.

Well to be frankly speaking if one is appearing for medical interview, then it is better to own a professional & formal attire, i believe that men should take white cotton shirt with black pants. Also hair needs to properly groomed.

You're missing the point. See above for rationale. People get in after doing all sorts of things. Does that mean what you did was a good idea? Nope.
Glad you got in though.

My advice is for people to look put together without looking ostentatious or ridiculous. What you were wearing was not appropriate interview attire. This is not to say that you didn't look put together/whatever, but it was not appropriate for an interview.

Peaked lapels are more formal. They're also unnoticed by 95% of people.

What are your thoughts on the micro pin stripes. I have several of those and I greatly prefer them to solid on my frame.

Micro Pin is not the same at all as chalk stripe. It's a little bit financial but probably perfectly acceptable. (Can't say for sure without seeing it...) There's also a bit of a tendency for young men on a budget to get an inexpensive blue pin stripe as a 'first suit', and some blue pin stripes show their relatively low price tag more than a solid navy shows it. Again, only some suits have this problem, so consider it something to look out for, not as a blanket rule.

Also, it should be said that as a 'broke college student', a 'cheap suit' is forgivable - so long as it's clear you acknowledge the rules of the game. If your 'cheap suit' is conservative in cut and color, paired with a white or light blue shirt and a conservative tie, it's fine. Better, in fact, than a flashy expensive Italian suit.

Peaked lapels are more formal. They're also unnoticed by 95% of people.

Sure, and the unnoticed part is where it might work in your favor. They're only 'more formal' in that they're usually found on tuxes. The suiting often determines the formality as well. Saying a suit with peak lapels is more formal than one with notch lapels is incorrect unless the suiting is the same, which is what I think you were trying to get at. Tuxedo's often have shawl collars, but I wouldn't recommend someone show up to an interview wearing a dinner jacket either. Morning dress is far more formal than a tux, but that is also not appropriate for interviews.

Again, it's something that could draw attention to your outfit. If someone is buying a suit, I would not recommend it. I don't know what your particular suit looks like, but I know a lot of cheaper suits with peak lapels are more fashion forward and would not be considered 'formal' so to speak.

Point is that 'more formal' does not translate to 'interview appropriate'. I'm not saying that wearing a suit with peak lapels means you totally screwed up. I'm sure people looked ridiculous at some of your interviews judging by what I've seen in the hallways here.

Like I said before, I frankly don't care what people wear and won't lose sleep over any of this. I'm just dropping some knowledge on what is and is not interview appropriate. Can people get away with other stuff? Sure. But the recommendations that I am giving are safe because people will either see you as acceptably dressed or very well dressed depending on your choices and the fit. However, you will not run into the situation where you have a traditionally brought up interviewer with a strong opinion derive their opinion about your dress.

Fact: I love peak lapels. I want to buy a suit from suitsupply that has them quite badly. I'm about to buy a blazer with peak lapels actually. I still wouldn't wear the suit to an interview.

They always told me growing up in the south in the land of cotillion and debutantes that a button down shirt with a suit is a strict no-no. It's fine with a blazer/sportcoat but not a suit. I think the Brooks brothers Ainsley collar is perfect (sort of a medium between a point and full spread).

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The uniqlo shirts are a great option for 20-30 bucks a shirt though. Far less than BB for the most part.

Well to be frankly speaking if one is appearing for medical interview, then it is better to own a professional & formal attire, i believe that men should take white cotton shirt with black pants. Also hair needs to properly groomed.

No to the wardrobe suggestion. You're advocating black. That's a negative.

Yes to the hair grooming.

Also to not dousing yourself with crappy cologne.

Micro Pin is not the same at all as chalk stripe. It's a little bit financial but probably perfectly acceptable. (Can't say for sure without seeing it...) There's also a bit of a tendency for young men on a budget to get an inexpensive blue pin stripe as a 'first suit', and some blue pin stripes show their relatively low price tag more than a solid navy shows it. Again, only some suits have this problem, so consider it something to look out for, not as a blanket rule.

Also, it should be said that as a 'broke college student', a 'cheap suit' is forgivable - so long as it's clear you acknowledge the rules of the game. If your 'cheap suit' is conservative in cut and color, paired with a white or light blue shirt and a conservative tie, it's fine. Better, in fact, than a flashy expensive Italian suit.

This. If you know what you're looking for, you can do it on the cheap. If you're on a budget, I would check out consignment stores and used stores if you're okay with that. My navy brooks brothers suit cost less than a hundred dollars TOTAL even after I had the pants altered pretty significantly.

It was not new. I had it dry cleaned. It looks awesome. It's not going to win any awards, but it will not raise eyebrows and the fit is great. That is all.

I do have to laugh about all of this at some level. I work in ortho surgery research. It is completely appropriate for me to just wear scrubs to work every day. I just can't make myself do it.

College me would have loved being able to go to bed, wake up, and go to work all while wearing the same clothes. 25 year old me thinks that it's silly, even though some of the attendings do it.

This may have been answered but I didn't comb through all 46 pages. Is a suit absolutely without a doubt necessary ? Would slacks and a blazer work or must they be a matching suit?

This may have been answered but I didn't comb through all 46 pages. Is a suit absolutely without a doubt necessary ? Would slacks and a blazer work or must they be a matching suit?

You have to wear a matching suit.

At my 10 interviews, I only saw ONE fellow interviewee who wasn't wearing a suit. It was a March interview and it seemed like kind of a douche move, like he was saying "I already got into better schools than this one, so I'm not gonna put the effort in to wear a suit."

Too aggressive?

Are you actually an attending? If you are, you can get away with wearing stuff like that for work and when you're interviewing others, but not when you are the interviewee. Gingham shirts and banker stripes look good with certain suits. I'm not sure about that particular combination though and it's hard to tell just from a closeup of your sleeves.

I agree about the solid shirts for interviews!

You have to wear a matching suit.

At my 10 interviews, I only saw ONE fellow interviewee who wasn't wearing a suit. It was a March interview and it seemed like kind of a douche move, like he was saying "I already got into better schools than this one, so I'm not gonna put the effort in to wear a suit."

Or a "This is obviously my first interview since I clearly don't know how to dress, so I probably also have other glaring weaknesses in my application."

Hey guys. I'm gonna be wearing a charcoal suit, white shirt, navy grenadine tie, and brown belt/wingtips. Would wearing those shoes be gauche? I really don't feel like shelling out money for black captoes and my only other pair are merlot wingtips

Hey guys. I'm gonna be wearing a charcoal suit, white shirt, navy grenadine tie, and brown belt/wingtips. Would wearing those shoes be gauche? I really don't feel like shelling out money for black captoes and my only other pair are merlot wingtips

Gauche? Hardly. And I don't think merlot (unless it's bright) would be wrong either.

Question on the tie though -- Is the overall effect too somber? I always loved wine with charcoal...

Gauche? Hardly. And I don't think merlot (unless it's bright) would be wrong either.

Question on the tie though -- Is the overall effect too somber? I always loved wine with charcoal...
I'd actually love to wear the merlot. They're Allen Edmonds so they are pretty understated. Yeah, the tie is finna grenadine, so it doesn't look overly textured a la knit tie.

This is the tie:
hgA57MX.jpg

I'd actually love to wear the merlot. They're Allen Edmonds so they are pretty understated. Yeah, the tie is finna grenadine, so it doesn't look overly textured a la knit tie.

This is the tie:
hgA57MX.jpg

Do it,navy grenadine is such a phenomenal tie. lined or unlined? and is that the actual tie? who makes it?

Although most people I've seen wear some sort of black shoe, I think you'll be fine with brown AEs.

All my interviews I was the only one not in a black suit. What is the world coming to?

Do it,navy grenadine is such a phenomenal tie. lined or unlined? and is that the actual tie? who makes it?

Although most people I've seen wear some sort of black shoe, I think you'll be fine with brown AEs.
That's the actual tie, yep. Sam Hober - http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-fina-solid-ties/

David Hober (the owner) makes some amazing bespoke items, and is super helpful.

All my interviews I was the only one not in a black suit. What is the world coming to?

My greatest strength? Surgeon cuffs ***unbuttons cuffs*** ***moon walks out of the room***

Hober is great stuff, but pretty overkill for an interview if you don't already have one already. Ties are easy. Go on ebay and pick something up in good condition. You can get great conservative grens/foulards/etc for less than 20 bucks or even better if you want to wait. Brooks brothers ties are super cheap on ebay. Seriously, ties are the one thing that fit doesn't matter on unless you're super tall/short. It's a great way to get a deal.

As an addendum, there are some suits on sale at Charles Tyrwitt right now for 350ish. I'm considering since I'm threatening to hulk out of my brooks brothers suit. I guess working out has been working, but I didn't expect it to potentially hurt my wallet! I might just see if the jacket can be let out/armholes opened out so I can be back in business for 50 bucks instead of for 400.

Here's a link to the CT stuff. The fit is good from what I've seen and the prices are pretty reasonable. Quality is much better than the jos a bank stuff. Give this is a go, especially if you live in the NYC area and can make a trip to a retail store:

Slim fit style: http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-suits...||||||||||||&sortBy=Price (Ascending)&page=10

Classic fit: http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-suits...||||||||||||&sortBy=Price (Ascending)&page=10

Those are 2 navy ones, they have other grey ones as well. I'm not comfortable wearing pinstripes in this setting, since I see it as much too flashy. Older gents might be able to get away with it as people honestly might not care at all. However, chalkstripes are to be avoided.

I think solid greys/navy is the way to go. As far as pattern, sharkskin/tiny herringbone/birdseye/etc are all fine. Try to avoid windowpane unless it's very slight. I think windowpane looks best bold and in sportcoats/casual suits.

Just one dudes continued opinions.