-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Men's Interview Clothing #3!
Started by Geekchick921
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Change the tie. Don't get salsa on your shirt.For a 2 day interview (MD/PhD) is it alright to wear the same outfit both days? Or should I at least change the tie?
If you can take a white shirt and light blue shirt along with different ties nobody will notice it is the same suit.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure if this has been posted before, or if I posted it before.,..
But, good place to buy a suit
http://www.indochino.com/
here is a review of it
But, good place to buy a suit
http://www.indochino.com/
here is a review of it
What do y'all think of this shirt (which I will of course iron) and tie? too busy and casual? my camera added a weird reddish tone so don't get too hung up on the colors--suit is navy, shirt is a very light blue. Thanks!
That looks great! It looks like the shirt is a slight microcheck? Id go plain colors but I doubt it makes a difference, just my preference. If I had to nitpick, I'd say find another slightly brighter tie that maybe stands out a bit more so it's not navy on navy, but either way I think you'll be good with it.
Poor fabrics, inconsistent fit, have hooked people on the illusion that "custom" magically means better
Conversely, for the odd-proportioned, Indochino and BlackLapel have been a godsend for inexpensive, well-fitting suits. The super 100s wool isn't terrible, fit has been consistent for me, and - more importantly - there are things I can control that make enormous differences in how the suit fits/drapes.
Softer shoulders, lower button stance, higher armholes, correct-width sleeves, pants that fit my waist, behind, and thighs without looking like hammer pants, etc.
I have a ~12 inch drop, so nothing fits well off-the-rack, and the results of trying to tailor OTR suits to my body are an abomination.
That said, I agree that for the majority of people, a BB/SS suit with some minor alterations will be preferable. For me, however, I am willing to take a small hit in fabric/craftsmanship for a near-perfect fit (at least until I can afford better quality MTM). All the fine detailing and superior fabrics won't mean anything if it looks like I borrowed my father's suit.
Which one of these bags should I get? I think they're all pretty professional. Kinda leaning towards the first one.
http://www.ebags.com/product/bellino/tahoe-messenger/275796?productid=10309513
http://www.ebags.com/product/ducti/infiltrator-laptop-messenger/241961?productid=10210501
http://www.ebags.com/product/bellino/leather-laptop-messenger/257344?productid=10252782
http://www.ebags.com/product/bellino/tahoe-messenger/275796?productid=10309513
http://www.ebags.com/product/ducti/infiltrator-laptop-messenger/241961?productid=10210501
http://www.ebags.com/product/bellino/leather-laptop-messenger/257344?productid=10252782
Most ties in a yellow & blue combo would be interview appropriate --
How about something like this with a navy suit(ignore the pocket square)?
Looks good.
Why do you need a bag? Are you packing a lunch?Which one of these bags should I get? I think they're all pretty professional. Kinda leaning towards the first one.
http://www.ebags.com/product/bellino/tahoe-messenger/275796?productid=10309513
http://www.ebags.com/product/ducti/infiltrator-laptop-messenger/241961?productid=10210501
http://www.ebags.com/product/bellino/leather-laptop-messenger/257344?productid=10252782
I was going to bring that in a paper bagWhy do you need a bag? Are you packing a lunch?
Good idea; make sure to include an ice pack for your Go-gurt.I was going to bring that in a paper bag
But for real, one of the docs I work with told me to bring a professional looking bag. Is that not normal?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well a professional looking bag (which BTW, the last one you posted is the best) is much better than a backpack.But for real, one of the docs I work with told me to bring a professional looking bag. Is that not normal?
But I fail to see what you will be carrying to the interview(s) that you need a bag for.
I'm sure there are things that I will need when I fly half way across the country and have to check out of my hotel before the interview. This is not to say I would carry stuff around all day. I hear that most schools have places to put bags, coats, and etc.Well a professional looking bag (which BTW, the last one you posted is the best) is much better than a backpack.
But I fail to see what you will be carrying to the interview(s) that you need a bag for.
You really don't need a bag. Put your stuff in your luggage. We'll watch it for you.I'm sure there are things that I will need when I fly half way across the country and have to check out of my hotel before the interview. This is not to say I would carry stuff around all day. I hear that most schools have places to put bags, coats, and etc.
Like @gyngyn says, just put it in your luggage and the PC will mind it for you. You really don't need anything with you.I'm sure there are things that I will need when I fly half way across the country and have to check out of my hotel before the interview. This is not to say I would carry stuff around all day. I hear that most schools have places to put bags, coats, and etc.
Like @gyngyn says, just put it in your luggage and the PC will mind it for you. You really don't need anything with you.
Okay, thanks for the infoYou really don't need a bag. Put your stuff in your luggage. We'll watch it for you.
So you take your luggage to the interview?Like @gyngyn says, just put it in your luggage and the PC will mind it for you. You really don't need anything with you.
Does your luggage matter? Like, can you just bring a normal duffel bag, or do you have to have some fancy, professional-looking luggage?
Not necessarily but there are some applicants who want to check out of their hotel and go straight to the airport from the interview, so they bring their luggage along. Its a question we get every year. Otherwise, if you have time you can leave your luggage at the hotel and go back and get it.So you take your luggage to the interview?
No one is going to be checking if you have a Tumi bag or a ripped Broncos duffel. Things stay in better shape with less wrinkles however, in a real suitcase so you may consider getting one at some point in your (adult) life.Does your luggage matter? Like, can you just bring a normal duffel bag, or do you have to have some fancy, professional-looking luggage?
Alright so, I bought this blue/navy suit (which is a steal with Coupon code btw) and I was wondering which color shoes would fit better.
or
I really want to go with the lighter color brown. Im trying to aim for a cognac color for my belt, shoes, and watch strap. I really dislike the bland dark brown shoes. Would I be able to get away with wearing light brown?
or
I really want to go with the lighter color brown. Im trying to aim for a cognac color for my belt, shoes, and watch strap. I really dislike the bland dark brown shoes. Would I be able to get away with wearing light brown?
I'm a huge fan of the navy/walnut combo, but not for interviews. I would stick with a brown or burgundy shoe. You can still get a pair of lighter brown (walnut, cognac, whatever) shoes to wear on other occasions, but I wouldn't wear them to the interview.
A medical school (or residency) interview is not the time to show off your trendy or flashy style (and yes, some people will view that color combo as one or both). You will look great (assuming your suit fits reasonably well and your tie/shirt are ok) with a dark brown/burgundy pair of shoes (black will do fine as well, although I prefer the others) - and more importantly, you will look appropriate.
Edit: Just looked at the suit link. The color is a bright-ish blue (it's actually described as "bright blue"), which is not ideal for an interview, but can work in a pinch - presuming you tone down everything else in your wardrobe. This means picking very conservative colors for the shoes, belt, shirt, and tie.
The easy and cheap way to get a pair of good looking interview shoes when you're on a budget is to go to ebay and look for a used pair of Johnston & Murphy Meltons.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=johnston+murphy+melton&_sacat=0
They're usually made in burgundy and black, both of which would be a good choice for you here.
A medical school (or residency) interview is not the time to show off your trendy or flashy style (and yes, some people will view that color combo as one or both). You will look great (assuming your suit fits reasonably well and your tie/shirt are ok) with a dark brown/burgundy pair of shoes (black will do fine as well, although I prefer the others) - and more importantly, you will look appropriate.
Edit: Just looked at the suit link. The color is a bright-ish blue (it's actually described as "bright blue"), which is not ideal for an interview, but can work in a pinch - presuming you tone down everything else in your wardrobe. This means picking very conservative colors for the shoes, belt, shirt, and tie.
The easy and cheap way to get a pair of good looking interview shoes when you're on a budget is to go to ebay and look for a used pair of Johnston & Murphy Meltons.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=johnston+murphy+melton&_sacat=0
They're usually made in burgundy and black, both of which would be a good choice for you here.
I'm a huge fan of the navy/walnut combo, but not for interviews. I would stick with a brown or burgundy shoe. You can still get a pair of lighter brown (walnut, cognac, whatever) shoes to wear on other occasions, but I wouldn't wear them to the interview.
A medical school (or residency) interview is not the time to show off your trendy or flashy style (and yes, some people will view that color combo as one or both). You will look great (assuming your suit fits reasonably well and your tie/shirt are ok) with a dark brown/burgundy pair of shoes (black will do fine as well, although I prefer the others) - and more importantly, you will look appropriate.
Edit: Just looked at the suit link. The color is a bright-ish blue (it's actually described as "bright blue"), which is not ideal for an interview, but can work in a pinch - presuming you tone down everything else in your wardrobe. This means picking very conservative colors for the shoes, belt, shirt, and tie.
The easy and cheap way to get a pair of good looking interview shoes when you're on a budget is to go to ebay and look for a used pair of Johnston & Murphy Meltons.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=johnston+murphy+melton&_sacat=0
They're usually made in burgundy and black, both of which would be a good choice for you here.
Yeah I was afraid of just that, I think the older adcoms would dislike the trendy look. Thanks for the info
And the suit, really isnt bright blue even though it says it is. Its just a regular navy. But it was had a great fit, was cheap, and good quality so I bought it. (Recommend to anyone here who is a broke college student)
I find this helpful
Conversely, for the odd-proportioned, Indochino and BlackLapel have been a godsend for inexpensive, well-fitting suits. The super 100s wool isn't terrible, fit has been consistent for me, and - more importantly - there are things I can control that make enormous differences in how the suit fits/drapes.
Softer shoulders, lower button stance, higher armholes, correct-width sleeves, pants that fit my waist, behind, and thighs without looking like hammer pants, etc.
I have a ~12 inch drop, so nothing fits well off-the-rack, and the results of trying to tailor OTR suits to my body are an abomination.
That said, I agree that for the majority of people, a BB/SS suit with some minor alterations will be preferable. For me, however, I am willing to take a small hit in fabric/craftsmanship for a near-perfect fit (at least until I can afford better quality MTM). All the fine detailing and superior fabrics won't mean anything if it looks like I borrowed my father's suit.
Would you recommend this to someone who is relatively skinny? Like a 34 shoulder and a 27/28 waist.
Hey guys,
I went ahead and bought my suit and shoes. However, I am having trouble deciding whether it needs to be tailored at all. Is there by any chance anyone here knowledgeable on how a suit should fit could provide some personal advice? I took some pictures and am hoping to pm someone to see if the suit needs tailoring. Also, maybe if a shirt and tie combination could be suggested as well? Lastly, I am having trouble deciding whether my shoes are too casual, I bought them on a whim since they were on sale. Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you
I went ahead and bought my suit and shoes. However, I am having trouble deciding whether it needs to be tailored at all. Is there by any chance anyone here knowledgeable on how a suit should fit could provide some personal advice? I took some pictures and am hoping to pm someone to see if the suit needs tailoring. Also, maybe if a shirt and tie combination could be suggested as well? Lastly, I am having trouble deciding whether my shoes are too casual, I bought them on a whim since they were on sale. Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I was afraid of just that, I think the older adcoms would dislike the trendy look. Thanks for the info
Not just the older ones; the cordovan/merlot looks better for this occasion.
LOL at the white suit. Please do not, for the love of Pete, wear this to a medical convention.
I find this helpful
![]()
LOL at the white suit. Please do not, for the love of Pete, wear this to a medical convention.
Yeah I say the first 4 colors are acceptable only.
Not just the older ones; the cordovan/merlot looks better for this occasion.
Agreed. I would dislike the look for the interview (but, as stated above, I generally like it for a more casual atmosphere). And I'm in my early 30s.
Would these go well with a navy suit? / Are they formal enough? Thanks for any feedback!
Is a tie bar too much?
Yes it is too much. Tie bars should be worn in the absence of a suit jacket. If you have a suit jacket, you don't need a tie bar.
Would these go well with a navy suit? / Are they formal enough? Thanks for any feedback!
View attachment 195951 View attachment 195952
yes it is too informal.
try something more like a traditional oxford instead of a blutcher
Alright, thanks!
If it doesn't look ridiculous/silly, who the hell would reject someone because of a tie bar???But @gyngyn said it was ok. A tie bar is meant cover your buttons and prevent your tie from moving. Even with a suit jacket, sometimes the tie moves out of place and exposes the buttons, so I'm wearing a tie bar. Anyone else care to comment on this?
What about either of these in black (navy suit):
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/nunn+bush+j...Cats=cat20192,dsw12cat1970002,dsw12cat1970010
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/dockers+gor...Cats=cat20192,dsw12cat1970002,dsw12cat1970010
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/nunn+bush+j...Cats=cat20192,dsw12cat1970002,dsw12cat1970010
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/dockers+gor...Cats=cat20192,dsw12cat1970002,dsw12cat1970010
ThanksPersonally, these both look hideous and cheap to me. For the same price, you can get these, which I think look much cleaner:
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/giorgio+bru...Cats=cat20192,dsw12cat1970002,dsw12cat1970010
I think you'd look great in this.Damn it. Now what am I supposed to wear next month???
Agree with above; these are too casual and pretty unattractive.What about either of these in black (navy suit):
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/nunn+bush+j...Cats=cat20192,dsw12cat1970002,dsw12cat1970010
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/dockers+gor...Cats=cat20192,dsw12cat1970002,dsw12cat1970010
What you're missing is that these lug soles are by definition more casual. Look for a thin leather sole as the appropriate footwear for a professional interview occasion.
LOL --no (real) flirting with married men.Are you guys flirting with each other
Edit: jk plz don't ban me i'm already on probationary status
I don't object to them wholesale but they can easily cross over into the gaudy pinky ring sort of look.But @gyngyn said it was ok. A tie bar is meant cover your buttons and prevent your tie from moving. Even with a suit jacket, sometimes the tie moves out of place and exposes the buttons, so I'm wearing a tie bar. Anyone else care to comment on this?
Why not use some double-sided fashion tape which will keep the tie adherent over your buttons?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all. So after reading through a lot of this thread I'm starting to get nervous about my shoe choice. I know that these probably aren't the best pick after reading through here. But are they at least acceptable? Or do I need to go out and buy new shoes? Advice @gyngyn @Winged Scapula ?
Would love some advice on these ties as well. I've been told their are good choices. But now I'm unsure. Suit is classic navy by the way.
Would love some advice on these ties as well. I've been told their are good choices. But now I'm unsure. Suit is classic navy by the way.
Last edited:
shoes: no
tie: right one
tie: right one
shoes: no
tie: right one
No as in they are bad? Or no as in I don't need to get new shoes? Thanks for the input!
The former! Generally the consensus here is that brogue style shoes are far too informal for a medical school interview setting.
Yup. I was afraid of that. Haha. Wish I would have checked here first before I bought them! They'll have to do for my first interview since its on Friday. But I'll have to get some new ones for my other interviews. Thanks!