Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup. I was afraid of that. Haha. Wish I would have checked here first before I bought them! They'll have to do for my first interview since its on Friday. But I'll have to get some new ones for my other interviews. Thanks!
If you want to get some new shoes and afford them, then yes I would go for something a little bit more formal and upscale.

But honestly, these are points of refinement. As long as you're not wearing those awful square toe black shoes, you can get away with almost anything.

I like both ties but agree with zephyr that the one on the right is best: it's a little less obtrusive.
 
If you want to get some new shoes and afford them, then yes I would go for something a little bit more formal and upscale.

But honestly, these are points of refinement. As long as you're not wearing those awful square toe black shoes, you can get away with almost anything.

I like both ties but agree with zephyr that the one on the right is best: it's a little less obtrusive.

Thank you for the reply! Would you say that the tie on the right is a "good" or "great" tie? Or more or less just acceptable? Feel like I gotta compensate now because of the shoes! Haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are argyle socks okay? They're pretty conservative (dark grey/dark blue). Or should I just go with a solid color? Wearing black shoes and navy suit.
 
I have a few questions:
- Should I wear navy or black socks with my navy pinstripe suit?
- Are either of these ties okay? Would a solid maroon one be better?
View attachment 196055
- Are these shoes okay? Or are they not formal enough (yes, they are rubber sole...).
View attachment 196056View attachment 196057

- What should I wear for "semicasual"?

Thanks!

These are just my opinions as a fellow premed, so don't use them as your only guide.

I would wear navy socks.

I love the tie on the left, however, for interviews sake I would go with the maroon tie option. Just to be more formal.

If you can afford newer/better shoes, than I would go get some. If not, than it is what it is. I would say they are on the informal side, but do I think they would be the deciding factor on your acceptance? No.

So I might be on the safer side of semicasual, but I'm going to wear grey suit pants, with a light blue dress shirt, no tie, first button undone, with brown shoes and belt. Basically business casual.

Hope this helps!
 
I have a few questions:
- Should I wear navy or black socks with my navy pinstripe suit?
- Are either of these ties okay? Would a solid maroon one be better?
View attachment 196055
- Are these shoes okay? Or are they not formal enough (yes, they are rubber sole...).
View attachment 196056View attachment 196057

- What should I wear for "semicasual"?

Thanks!
What color shirt are you accompanying your tie with? Also, aren't brown shoes more appropriate with dark blue suit?
 
Thanks so much @flyer04 and @PugsAndHugs for the advice! I'll head to the mall and see what I can find. Once I look at it, brown shoes do seem to go better with a navy suit. Also, I will be wearing a white shirt with my tie.
 
but I'm going to wear grey suit pants, with a light blue dress shirt, no tie, first button undone, with brown shoes and belt. Basically business casual.
Why on Earth would you go without a tie? If money is a factor, you can get a used tie at Goodwill for $3-5. No tie is much worse than an ugly tie. Why not show that you are serious about making a good first impression. This is a conservative profession.
 
Why on Earth would you go without a tie? If money is a factor, you can get a used tie at Goodwill for $3-5. No tie is much worse than an ugly tie. Why not show that you are serious about making a good first impression. This is a conservative profession.

As stated above^^^ this is also my case. The is a pre orientation the day before my interview where we will get the chance to mingle with current med students. And for the school I'm interviewing at it isn't even semi casual. The attire details say casual. So I feel confident that going business casual will be more than enough. The following day is my actual interview. Where I will obviously be wearing an awesome suit, and of coarse, a tie.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is windowpane really off limits? I'm not talking about very pronounced, thick boxes. More like the thinner, less noticeable designs.
 
Thoughts on these shoes with a dark blue suit?
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 250
I wouldn't show up to any professional setting (medicine, business, law, whatever) without a laced shoe. I don't think it's so much the fashion, but rather the standard (traditionally at least).

With all this in mind, the quintessential dress shoe is the cap toe oxford. Simple and versatile. I'd suggest getting a pair!
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't ever show up to any professional setting (medicine, business, law, whatever) without a laced shoe. I don't think it's so much the fashion, but rather the standard (and has been for a while).

With all this in mind, the quintessential dress shoe is the cap toe oxford. Simple and versatile. I'd suggest getting a pair!
Anyone know any good brands / stores / websites to find some under $150? I assume black or dark brown are best?
 
Anyone know any good brands / stores / websites to find some under $150? I assume black or dark brown are best?

Black is probably the most versatile, but brown is nice too (I prefer brown--looks great with navy/charcoal).

Under 150? No problem, I would honestly suggest visiting your local Macys (they're always having sales) and trying on some different ones. The brands they have vary... there's Johnston and Murphy, Cole Haan, Kenneth Cole, Calvin Klein, etc always on rotation.

Also as a caveat, shoes, especially dress shoes, really vary in size. I'd advise against buying them online unless you have tried them on before in person.
 
Last edited:
Wear a suit. Not complicated. When you talk, i.e. open your mouth, this is where you alter your chances.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is an alternate choice navy or charcoal?
Your tailoring and bearing give you a polished appearance (not windowpanes).

I have solid suits in both navy and grey (windowpane charcoal but no solid). I just don't understand why people insist on wearing navy or charcoal solid. I went to an interview and literally everyone (male and female) were wearing navy suits except for me and one other student...
 
I have solid suits in both navy and grey (windowpane charcoal but no solid). I just don't understand why people insist on wearing navy or charcoal solid. I went to an interview and literally everyone (male and female) were wearing navy suits except for me and one other student...
They are showing us that they know what is expected of them.
We have been burned too many times by those who don't feel the need to follow rules.
It's actually more common to find folks who don't know them to begin with.
Depending on their experience of life and SES, this can be understandable.
If you can avoid it though, there is no need to make us wonder about you because of your dress.

As long as you are wearing a suit and tie, you are fine.
A windowpane is not so aberrant that we will think you are a renegade, but there is just no advantage to it. It's not the way you want to be "special."
 
Last edited by a moderator:
They are showing us that they know what is expected of them.
We have been burned too many times by those who don't feel the need to follow rules.
It's actually more common to find folks who don't know them to begin with.
Depending on their experience of life and SES, this can be understandable.
If you can avoid it though, there is no need to make us wonder about you because of your dress.

As long as you are wearing a suit and tie, you are fine.
A windowpane is not so aberrant that we will think you are a renegade, but there is just no advantage to it. It's not the way you want to be "special."

Thank you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does a tie have to contrast a suit? I'm wearing a navy suit, white shirt, navy tie with gold pindots, and it looks extremely sharp.
 
White shirt.

Got my suit today fitted jacket. But idk man I would never wear this suit to a party I know I know. The pants are not as tapered as I want them to be and the jacket is long as hell. Interview next week.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 188