Menstruation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The primary hormones required by the endometrium so that menses do not occur are:

I. Progesterone
II. Estradiol
III. hCG
IV. FSH and LH

A. I and II only
B. I and III only
C. II and IV only
D. III and IV only

I'll post the answer after a while.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the primary hormones would be estrogen and progesterone (birth control pills).. I associate hCG more with pregnancy

Members don't see this ad :)
I see, I hadn't thought about that as birth control pills. I did think of hCG as a pregnancy hormone and if pregnant, menstruating would be bad, so I figured hCG had a hand in preventing it. Also, isn't progesterone used in abortion because it increases uterine contraction?

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of oxytocin/prostaglandins, not progesterone.

Well hCG takes the place of LH during pregnancy to make estrogen and prog so it comes back again to those

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Well hCG takes the place of LH during pregnancy to make estrogen and prog so it comes back again to those

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

+1
right, hCG takes the place of LH during pregnancy so that the corpus luteum continues the production of estrogen and progesterone as they are needed to maintain the endometrium during pregnancy. Eventually though, I THINK that the corpus luteum degenerates sometime (i think 3-4 weeks) after the fertilization and implantation. hCG is still secreted by the placenta but the corpus luteum will no longer be there.

+1
right, hCG takes the place of LH during pregnancy so that the corpus luteum continues the production of estrogen and progesterone as they are needed to maintain the endometrium during pregnancy. Eventually though, I THINK that the corpus luteum degenerates sometime (i think 3-4 weeks) after the fertilization and implantation. hCG is still secreted by the placenta but the corpus luteum will no longer be there.

The corpus luteum does not degrade during pregnancy. It is essential for pregnancy and continues secreting progesterone throughout gestation.

Sent from my medical tricorder using Tapatalk

+1

Yea, the corpus luteum degrades into the corpus albicans once the placenta is fully matured and can secrete everything to replace the corpus luteum.

Yea, the corpus luteum degrades into the corpus albicans once the placenta is fully matured and can secrete everything to replace the corpus luteum.

Alright, well, I guess I'm remembering wrong here. I thought I was sure the c. luteum hung around.

From looking at my notes, I know what I remembered was that implantation signaled the c. luteum to remain (and it does for a while which is essential) but it's function does eventually get replaced by the placenta. (Which is precisely what someone else already said above.)

Sent from my medical tricorder using Tapatalk

Last edited: