Mental Health America of California (MHAC) and CAYEN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlx009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about this organization calling itself Mental Health America of California (previously known as Mental Health Association in California) and it's youth organization CAYEN (California Youth Empowerment Network)? It talks about mental health advocacy but it appears to be headed by an MBA and don't see any MDs on the board. Seems sketch, I mean that name is as awkward as can be. My inner Holden Caulfield is screaming "phony" on this one.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you taking about? They run various mental health clinics my friend works as a psychiatrist for one of them and they have some interesting recovery oriented programs (or at least they did?) Why would it be headed by an MD? Suits are always in charge and as it is not supposed to be medically oriented it is not surprising if they don't have psychiatrists on the board. Psychiatry is a very small part of mental health and probably the least important bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks splik for the clarification. I combed through their website and couldn't find much in terms of what they do specifically, if they're a for profit/non profit etc, thus the post. Although, I am surprised to hear you say that psychiatry is a very small part of mental health and that the suits are always in charge. The places I've worked, healthcare facilities including mental health ones are headed by an MD somewhere in the mix, as the medical director or physician administrator, being on the board, etc. Perhaps the funding may come from various sources, but please elaborate. Although I'm just a resident I do have a degree in healthcare management (not trying to toot) and am used to MDs making decisions, so I'd like to hear more about your perspective and experience.

My reservation wasn't that it was not headed by an MD but an MBA and others without degrees. There are lots of ancillary staff in facilities like recovery programs (I'm assuming you're referring to substance use), however even then an MD is the one in charge no? And more troubling was that there wasn't any people with MDs or PhDs on the board. I hope the initial post didn't come across as flippant, ignorant, or disrespectful, it was meant to be a light hearted conversation starter.