Mental Health Red Flags?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedFlagThrowAway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My teenage/young adult years are riddled with problems due to my past alcohol abuse. While I have no charges, I've been arrested three times. One arrest could expunged, the other arrest was a temporary detention order and the third was drunk in public/resisting arrest. The arrest I worry about disclosing the most is the TDO, because I was drunk on a bridge and was thought to be suicidal. During this incident I was taken to be evaluated in a psychiatric hospital, I was not involuntary commented and was allowed to discharge myself.

I feel confident that I've overcome my drinking problem, though abstaining from drinking and having worked with a therapist. I'm a strong student (Sophomore 4.0 GPA, government internship, EMT, clinical employment, building ECs). I have a strong desire to presue medicine but worry that if/when my GPA drops (I'm a non-trad who switched majors), MCAT is average or just beginning to struggle with other aspects of my application, these arrests and ugly explanations with kill my application.

Above all, I'm worried that if accepted, these arrests will haunt me when matching and applying for board certification.

I'd just like some guidance and feed back onto how to prepare to deal and explain about these arrests. I'm hoping that my actions will speak for me but understand how important verbalizing is in interview/application.

Members don't see this ad.

The fact that you've never been convicted or even charged will definitely work in your favor. Beyond that maybe some adcoms can offer guidance on the specifics.

Reactions: 2 users
My teenage/young adult years are riddled with problems due to my past alcohol abuse. While I have no charges, I've been arrested three times. One arrest could expunged, the other arrest was a temporary detention order and the third was drunk in public/resisting arrest. The arrest I worry about disclosing the most is the TDO, because I was drunk on a bridge and was thought to be suicidal. During this incident I was taken to be evaluated in a psychiatric hospital, I was not involuntary commented and was allowed to discharge myself.

I feel confident that I've overcome my drinking problem, though abstaining from drinking and having worked with a therapist. I'm a strong student (Sophomore 4.0 GPA, government internship, EMT, clinical employment, building ECs). I have a strong desire to presue medicine but worry that if/when my GPA drops (I'm a non-trad who switched majors), MCAT is average or just beginning to struggle with other aspects of my application, these arrests and ugly explanations with kill my application.

Above all, I'm worried that if accepted, these arrests will haunt me when matching and applying for board certification.

I'd just like some guidance and feed back onto how to prepare to deal and explain about these arrests. I'm hoping that my actions will speak for me but understand how important verbalizing is in interview/application.
A long run of academic excellence will allay any anyone's fears about your mental health issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can’t speak for goro but I think dismiss or ease is a good fit for the sentence. Regarding applications/licensing, you should talk to a lawyer and get a background check report on yourself and figure out just exactly how much you’re required to disclose, and DON’T DISCLOSE ANYTHING YOU AREN’T LEGALLY REQUIRED TO.

My feeling is that this will not hold you back, and I am glad to hear that you overcame something so challenging and have come out the other side stronger. Keep working hard, get excellent grades and the right ECs, and stay true to your goal of sobriety and control over your mental well-being. You can do this.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, I have an arrest that resulted in no charges and a non-voluntary psychiatric hospitalization for depression back in my teen days. I applied to 26 schools (all DO) and only one school asked about arrests. The others asked about charges and/or convictions. None asked about mental health. From my research, some states licencing boards ask about convictions or charges while a few ask about arrests. I found that most licencing boards ask if you have a mental health condition that would hinder your ability to practice medicine. I saw a few that asked if you have been treated for mental illness in the past 5 years and some that just say have you ever had a mental illness (Arizona and maybe a few others). I did see a few questions on alcohol/drug addiction.

DEA licensing only asks about drug convictions so you are good there.

I ended up calling the VA hospital about if my arrest would disqualify me from rotating there (I figured the VA would have the strictest requirements) and they said they only look at arrests from the past 36 months. They said they don't care if the arrest resulted in charges or convictions. I also called my owns state licensing board and they said only certain convictions require a waiting period.

If anything, your mental illness will just cause a delay in your licensing if required to disclose it.

Reactions: 1 users